1. #1

    Should i play in the pro servers?

    So im new to warcraft and sort of getting the hang of it.

    After talking to some people in game it seems that for the horde side the server Tichondrius is the best pvp server. I was wondering if i transfer to their server and play with them can i get much better in pvp? Will they help me out and stuff?

    Oh and do they like mages? Seems like everyone has a grudge against mages lol.

    I do have a mic if teamspeak is their thing. I would imagine so in pvp anyway.

  2. #2
    A bigger player com. on a server means more ppl. who actually "could" be in the mood to help a newbie, not guaranteed.

    Mages were always a good pvp class, most of the time on top, sometimes absolute overpowered and never at the bottom of the food chain. Its a very versatile class with many tools, good offense / defense and big burst damage on demand. The "grudge" against mages is a thing from classic ( only class which got 3 talents for free ) and with the years it became bigger because of arena and the sometimes dominating role that mages took.

    There is many bias going around about mages, but they had times when they were absolutely overpowered and good players took advantage of this, released videos like "steering wheel mage" and others. Dont bother with it to much, many of the mage jokes are so old they grown beards like ZZ Top

    Teamspeak and / or Skype, Mumble are mandatory for competive pvp.

  3. #3
    there's very little reason to go to a populated server these days

    arena and rbg are all possible cross realm, use a third party website to find teams and partners or even just forums here or on official boards.

    But it's easiest just to play with your friends.

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by Illana View Post
    there's very little reason to go to a populated server these days

    arena and rbg are all possible cross realm, use a third party website to find teams and partners or even just forums here or on official boards.

    But it's easiest just to play with your friends.
    I highly disagree. Third party websites are pretty much 100% useless for finding good partners, outside of sometimes the Blizzard forums there aren't other places. Things like openraid or OQueue are fine for finding yolo RBGs, but finding actual partners doesn't really happen on those websites.

    It'll be significantly easier to find partners of any ratings if you're on a highly populated realm, or if your realm is connected to one. I play on a couple dead realms on Horde, but they're connected to Illidan, so there's always hundreds of people in Durotar that want to do arenas for just about all ratings. I know the same is true for Kel'Thuzad Alliance in trade chat and Tichondrius Horde in trade chat as well, you'll find better players easier in game than you will on third party sites, simple as that.

    As for if it's worth transferring to Tich, depends on your goal. If you want to push rank 1 or Glad or something it'll be worth it to have access to a lot of really good players, if you're just playing for fun and don't care about rating then it's not worth it at all.

  5. #5
    Epic! Anzen's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Ravencrest
    Posts
    1,514
    Please don't roll on Tichondrius/Outland/Stormscale.

    It's literally only a matter of time till you join a guild called something like "Brb mum on fire lol", rename your character to have qt, lol and xd on the end (that's if you don't rename it completely to something like snoopdogex,ezclass,icewizzardx), and develop the zero hero mentality:

    You will start saying things like 'pwned nub', 'scrub', 'l2p issues', 'mongo' as part of your normal speech, blame your lack of rating on certain circumstances/lag and eventually re-roll a different class every season depending on what is OP.

    /PvP'ers in a nutshell.

    EDIT: Forgot the skillful race change to Female Human/Undead.

    VERY IMPORTANT TIP: If you want to TRULY be the king of PvP, set your microphone to continuous on any voice com you use: this frees up a bind and allows you to put more concentration into game-play and less into voice com. Then get a mechanical keyboard, since all the pr0's use them, and they give you more reactive game play. NOW VERY IMPORTANT: put your microphone as close to your keyboard as humanly fucking possible. MAKE SURE everyone can hear you mashing the fuck out of your keyboard, nobody should be able to hear anything other than your keyboard.

    I don't know if it's just my friends, but whenever I move down a channel in mumble whilst the PvP'ers are doing an RBG, it's a massive FUCKFEST of everyone mashing the living fuck outta their keyboards, shouting over the sounds of their own keyboards and general vocal damage. I actively mute any PvPer that moves out of channel except the PvP one for this reason.

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by Anzen View Post
    Please don't roll on Tichondrius/Outland/Stormscale.

    It's literally only a matter of time till you join a guild called something like "Brb mum on fire lol", rename your character to have qt, lol and xd on the end (that's if you don't rename it completely to something like snoopdogex,ezclass,icewizzardx), and develop the zero hero mentality:

    You will start saying things like 'pwned nub', 'scrub', 'l2p issues', 'mongo' as part of your normal speech, blame your lack of rating on certain circumstances/lag and eventually re-roll a different class every season depending on what is OP.

    /PvP'ers in a nutshell.

    EDIT: Forgot the skillful race change to Female Human/Undead.

    VERY IMPORTANT TIP: If you want to TRULY be the king of PvP, set your microphone to continuous on any voice com you use: this frees up a bind and allows you to put more concentration into game-play and less into voice com. Then get a mechanical keyboard, since all the pr0's use them, and they give you more reactive game play. NOW VERY IMPORTANT: put your microphone as close to your keyboard as humanly fucking possible. MAKE SURE everyone can hear you mashing the fuck out of your keyboard, nobody should be able to hear anything other than your keyboard.

    I don't know if it's just my friends, but whenever I move down a channel in mumble whilst the PvP'ers are doing an RBG, it's a massive FUCKFEST of everyone mashing the living fuck outta their keyboards, shouting over the sounds of their own keyboards and general vocal damage. I actively mute any PvP that moves out of channel except the PvP one for this reason.

    ^ I could not have put it any better my self. I play on Outland Alliance and Stormscale Horde. But I have managed to stay clear of these "cool kids". Only reason to play on these realms is because it is so easy to find a group for what ever you want in trade.

    Stay clear of Durotar and Elwynn and you should remain untainted by these toxic players.

  7. #7
    No reason to go to tich horde if you are new to wow. Next season everyone will go alliance and ditch tich for another server like kt

  8. #8
    Frankly I don't know how anyone just getting into WOW, especially PVP, can enjoy themselves without playing with people they know in real life. The "community" is so toxic and childish, I wonder how some of these people function in the real world. Internet anonymity obviously plays a big part, but the number of mean spirited people who will go out of their way to make you miserable is just crazy. Of course the hardcore raiding scene has some of this too, but those people are, in my experience, more concerned with their own ego (i.e. numbers) than belittling new and inexperienced players.

    I am an experienced and accomplished Dragonslayer but Im on a PVE realm, in a PVE guild, don't have any RL friends that play, and I have failed miserably to find even low ranking RBGs just for CP cap each week. 140k+ HKs, 3000 BGs played but no RBG experience and I can't even find a PUG RBG group that will take someone without rating. I can post something like "LF RBG group for CP cap" and Ill get a handful of whispers like "ffs nub", "lol ur kidn rite?" I seriously doubt that I would have anymore luck on a high population PVP realm.

  9. #9
    If you are as new of a player as you say I would highly recommend that you stay where you are and avoid Tich for now.

    Until you really have a better grasp on what you're doing you may find that 80% or more of the players on Tich will dump you after one game if you make a mistake rather than help you.

    Hard truth.

  10. #10
    If the elitist jerks and ''celebrity'' fan boys do not matter to you, go for it, more people to play with.

  11. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by Skarssen View Post
    Frankly I don't know how anyone just getting into WOW, especially PVP, can enjoy themselves without playing with people they know in real life. The "community" is so toxic and childish, I wonder how some of these people function in the real world. Internet anonymity obviously plays a big part, but the number of mean spirited people who will go out of their way to make you miserable is just crazy. Of course the hardcore raiding scene has some of this too, but those people are, in my experience, more concerned with their own ego (i.e. numbers) than belittling new and inexperienced players.

    I am an experienced and accomplished Dragonslayer but Im on a PVE realm, in a PVE guild, don't have any RL friends that play, and I have failed miserably to find even low ranking RBGs just for CP cap each week. 140k+ HKs, 3000 BGs played but no RBG experience and I can't even find a PUG RBG group that will take someone without rating. I can post something like "LF RBG group for CP cap" and Ill get a handful of whispers like "ffs nub", "lol ur kidn rite?" I seriously doubt that I would have anymore luck on a high population PVP realm.

    I get the same. I'd love to dive into PvP, rated PvP that is (have Battlemaster and some rating, but nothing to write to a random stranger to make them go crazy) and it seems impossible to find people motivated enough to play together, improve and learn together. Everyone seems to expect you play at 2.5k rating nowadays, which in my eyes seems impossible. Where is the patience where people want to improve together and not alone ?( hello single player mentality).

  12. #12
    I agree with the guy above. Everyone wants you to have Gladiator, Hero of the alliance/horde or 2.4k xp to do anything these days.


    How are you supposed to get rating if no one will give you a chance. I bet there are so many players out there that are awesome back because everyone wants rating before they even chance a player.

  13. #13
    90% of the people on Tich are horrible.

  14. #14
    Mechagnome MetroStratics's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    wow.stratics.com
    Posts
    689
    The is no such thing as a pro server. Find a good medium population server already connected to multiple other ones. This will give the feel of a high pop realm, but negate any queues or the stigma that is present with those realms.

    Realms like that attract new players and unskilled players looking to get carried or guild hop between the 20+ heroic raiding guilds there.
    This alone makes them unattractive to me, but the second I was in a queue I would never be playing on those realms again.

    Another important point is that everything in the game can be done across server now, even heroic raiding for some reason.
    The only thing that can be limiting is the ability to join guilds. But as long as your server is connected to a few others there will be plenty to choose from!
    WoW Moderator and Staff Editor at Stratics-WoW!
    http://wow.stratics.com/ - A World of Warcraft Fansite dedicated to lively opinions on the important topics within the game.
    Co-owner of AcegamesTV!
    https://www.youtube.com/acegamestv - A general gaming network focused on high quality variety content!

  15. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by Lilly32 View Post
    90% of the people on Tich are horrible.
    This. Just because a few good PvPers got popular meant people started to swarm the server in the same way you want to, sure you'll find more competent players who want to PvP than on other realms but that doesn't mean they're good.

  16. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by Karbine View Post
    This. Just because a few good PvPers got popular meant people started to swarm the server in the same way you want to, sure you'll find more competent players who want to PvP than on other realms but that doesn't mean they're good.
    Yeah tich these days is over run by those who literally follow the R1 pvpers.

    However it is a bit of trade of in my mind.

    You either join a small server and hope you get competent pvper's who can work with you to achieve something or you join a larger server and wade through the numbers til you find those same people.

    Neither is particularly good but what can we do?

  17. #17
    The biggest problem with pvp is people that struggle to even get into it for various reasons, such as not being able to find partners, but honestly this problem is exacerbated by people who think they are decent players and should be able to play with good players and get rating quickly, but for most people it just doesn't work like that.

    High rated people don't want to play with newer players for good reasons, they generally lack the general awareness that comes from playing a lot and playing with and against good players. And this takes a long time for most people to gain. You may think you are a good player based on basic battleground performance or strong raid performance etc. but this means so little when it comes to high rated arena and rbgs, awareness is key. From a high rated players perspective you can generally pretty easily tell when someone just isn't on the same level of play as you from a few games, (most just won't even bother because as I said it isn't a quick process of learning for most players) bar sometimes good players who are a bit rusty.

    Apart from awareness the biggest key is finding like minded players that want to get better and are willing to learn together, finding the right partners is probably the hardest thing to do.

    Due to the difference in skill level between people stuck in the 1800-1900 bracket and the 2000-2100 bracket (its pretty huge)and this gap is even bigger for new players. This huge gap between player skill is why entry level pvp and gaining ratings can be so hard for people, because it really does take practice and the right partners to really get into pvp and push rating seriously.
    Last edited by Relicra; 2014-03-20 at 01:18 PM.

  18. #18
    Quote Originally Posted by Rucati View Post
    I highly disagree. Third party websites are pretty much 100% useless for finding good partners, outside of sometimes the Blizzard forums there aren't other places. Things like openraid or OQueue are fine for finding yolo RBGs, but finding actual partners doesn't really happen on those websites.

    It'll be significantly easier to find partners of any ratings if you're on a highly populated realm, or if your realm is connected to one. I play on a couple dead realms on Horde, but they're connected to Illidan, so there's always hundreds of people in Durotar that want to do arenas for just about all ratings. I know the same is true for Kel'Thuzad Alliance in trade chat and Tichondrius Horde in trade chat as well, you'll find better players easier in game than you will on third party sites, simple as that.

    As for if it's worth transferring to Tich, depends on your goal. If you want to push rank 1 or Glad or something it'll be worth it to have access to a lot of really good players, if you're just playing for fun and don't care about rating then it's not worth it at all.
    yeah and if u roll on one of these high populated realms whats going to happen?

    2: LF ARENA PARTNER 2k MIN RATING
    2: WTS ARENA BOOST GO TO ARENABOOST.COM

    Remember this guy doesn't have any previous experience., he will get nowhere on a populated realm

  19. #19
    Hmm I would say I have very good awareness. Thanks to other intense games like Battlefield I feel I have developed sharp senses and aware of what is going on around me.

    But warcraft feels different because half the time if you got someone on you then it's like there is constantly something there to interrupt gameplay like you get stunned or silenced rooted slowed just about anything. Which is why I love playing Battlefield it's smooth gameplay.

    I mean reading into the changes of the next expansion it seems they are going to reduce "CC" and i think this will be much more fun to play then.

    Anyway, I'm getting a Lil bored of Mage. Might try some warrior.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •