Poll: Is Russia a marginal power?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 34 of 34 FirstFirst ...
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by May90 View Post
    Both in Iraq and Afghanistan the US reached their war goals - replacement of terrorist governments with non-terrorist ones.
    Sorry what?!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kellhound View Post
    Not really, it influences the periphery around it and a few isolated countries elsewhere, but much of the world could care less about Russia's stance, unless they need cheap weapons. It has the potential, it just fails to live up to it.
    Doesn't the US sell a lot more weapons than Russia?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by runeghost View Post
    Doesn't the US sell a lot more weapons than Russia?
    They do, but Russia is the second largest weapon seller, I believe. Russia sells cheap and outdated weapons, while the US sells high-quality modern stuff. As such, buyers from US are European countries, South Korea, Japan, Saudi Arabia - mostly countries that do not stir much trouble outside of their borders. While Russia sells weapons to crazy regimes, such as North Korea, Cuba, African and Middle-Eastern dictatorships (remember whose weapons were used in Libya and are used currently in Syria?). I would say, Russia is one of the most trouble-giving countries in the modern world, even China doesn't do so much harm since it mostly sits peacefully within its borders and just strengthens its internal army. And Russia could be easily dealt with since its weaponry is so outdated and its army mostly consists of conscripted youngsters who don't know anything about war and would just flee immediately, should NATO invade Russia. But Russia has nukes, and that, I believe, is the only reason it gets away with what it does.

Deleted
    They do, but Russia is the second largest weapon seller, I believe. Russia sells cheap and outdated weapons, while the US sells high-quality modern stuff. As such, buyers from US are European countries, South Korea, Japan, Saudi Arabia - mostly countries that do not stir much trouble outside of their borders. While Russia sells weapons to crazy regimes, such as North Korea, Cuba, African and Middle-Eastern dictatorships (remember whose weapons were used in Libya and are used currently in Syria?). I would say, Russia is one of the most trouble-giving countries in the modern world, even China doesn't do so much harm since it mostly sits peacefully within its borders and just strengthens its internal army. And Russia could be easily dealt with since its weaponry is so outdated and its army mostly consists of conscripted youngsters who don't know anything about war and would just flee immediately, should NATO invade Russia. But Russia has nukes, and that, I believe, is the only reason it gets away with what it does.
    I'd love to live in your world mate.

Also, not sure what kind of weapon you're seeing in Syria... Are you implying Russia is behind the mess in Syria?

- - - Updated - - -

Russia is one of the most trouble giving countries huh?

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_wars_involving_Russia

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_wars_involving_the_United_States

..... Hummmmm

Oh I GET IT! We're the good guys so our wars don't count!

10+ Year Old Account
    Russia sells cheap and outdated weapons, while the US sells high-quality modern stuff.
    Stopped reading after this. Get off your high horse and do some research before posting utter bullshit.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Cybran View Post
    Haha. Joke of the year.

http://www.nbcnews.com/video/nightly-news/51708504

In Afghanistan the US replaced one group of terrorists with another and even gave their leader money to bribe even more terrorists to fight against other terrorists.

While in Iraq the USA replaced Saddamn with Ahmed Chalabi who used to be Saddam's right hand until he was forced to flee in London from where he struck a deal with Cheney and the USA to get him back in power. He was the person who lied about WMD in Iraq.
    I don't think that dude got anywhere near the US's Iraq government. Isn't he hiding in Iran now or something?

Deleted
    Russia is a fast growing country, with many resources. A war between Russia and US will mean the destruction of the world as we know.

Us is in decline while Russia is growing.
    Last edited by mmoc9f2c949fa4; 2014-03-26 at 03:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by nightstalkerr View Post
    Russia is a fast growing country, with many resources. A war between Russia and US will mean the destruction of the world as we know.

Us is in decline while Russia is growing.
    Russia's economy is foretasted to grow 0% this year. Before all this started it was ~1.3%

US is 2.8%

Quote Originally Posted by Olo View Post
    Russia's economy is foretasted to grow 0% this year. Before all this started it was ~1.3%

US is 2.8%
    And economists say that's being conservative. If sanctions ramp up it's full-blown recession. Along with that 7% inflation they have? Economic disaster.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rukentuts View Post
    And economists say that's being conservative. If sanctions ramp up it's full-blown recession. Along with that 7% inflation they have? Economic disaster.
    Don't forget that 7% is the official number; actual might be above 10%. For example, subway tickets became 33% more expensive there this year.

I don't think they are going to be screwed economically since they will always find who to sell their resources, they don't need Europe for it. But, well, you cannot live only by selling resources and weapons comfortably in such a huge country as Russia, and, granted the amount of corruption there, I guess they are up for not really pleasant times.
    But, look on the bright side, they got Crimea! They finally solved their problem of insufficient territory! The amount of Russian trolling in this thread just confirms once more how happy they are now!

The Unstoppable Force Elim Garak's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Expected Russian GPD for 2014 is 2.2%
    Inflation in Russia was decreasing for the last 20 years and still goes down.

Stop talking about stuff you know nothing about.

Russia is growing.

- - - Updated - - -

For example, subway tickets became 33% more expensive there this year.
    Lies as usual
    All right, gentleperchildren, let's review. The year is 2024 - that's two-zero-two-four, as in the 21st Century's perfect vision - and I am sorry to say the world has become a pussy-whipped, Brady Bunch version of itself, run by a bunch of still-masked clots ridden infertile senile sissies who want the Last Ukrainian to die so they can get on with the War on China, with some middle-eastern genocide on the side

Quote Originally Posted by Elim Garak View Post
    Stop talking about stuff you know nothing about.
    You first.

0% now.

10+ Year Old Account
    Lies as usual
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moscow_Metro
    "2013-04-02 30 rubles Single journey fare increased. Most other kinds of fares are lowered. New: 90 minute fare.
    2014-01-01 30-40 rubles Single and double fare increased. 5-60 pass fare, and all 90 minute fare are stayed. Russian railway fare in Moscow increased to 28 rubles."

Keep trolling bro, maybe you manage to fool someone.
    Last edited by May90; 2014-03-26 at 05:50 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moscow_Metro
    "2013-04-02 30 rubles
    2014-01-01 30-40 rubles"

Keep trolling bro, maybe you manage to fool someone.
    How ironic why didn't you go to the source?
    http://engl.mosmetro.ru/pages/page_0.php?id_page=8

1 trip ticket costs 30 rub. I use Moscow subway every working day. So.. ironic, you see?

P.S. to me it costs 18-28 rubles depending on either I used topside transportation before going into subway or no. Top side ticket is 26 rubles. Because I use special card similar to Octopus (HK).
    Last edited by Elim Garak; 2014-03-26 at 05:52 PM.
    All right, gentleperchildren, let's review. The year is 2024 - that's two-zero-two-four, as in the 21st Century's perfect vision - and I am sorry to say the world has become a pussy-whipped, Brady Bunch version of itself, run by a bunch of still-masked clots ridden infertile senile sissies who want the Last Ukrainian to die so they can get on with the War on China, with some middle-eastern genocide on the side

10+ Year Old Account
    1 trip ticket costs 30 rub. I use Moscow subway every working day. So.. ironic, you see?
    I've been in Moscow 2 weeks ago on work. 1 trip - 40 rub, 2 trips - 80 rub in selling machines.
    Last edited by May90; 2014-03-26 at 06:02 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I've been in Moscow 2 weeks ago on work. 1 trip - 40 rub, 2 trips - 80 rub in selling machines.
    That's for tickets in machines. For guests of the city and for those who rarely use subway.

Really just stop already, you're clearly out of the loop in this matter
    Last edited by Elim Garak; 2014-03-26 at 06:19 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Don't forget that 7% is the official number; actual might be above 10%. For example, subway tickets became 33% more expensive there this year.

I don't think they are going to be screwed economically since they will always find who to sell their resources, they don't need Europe for it. But, well, you cannot live only by selling resources and weapons comfortably in such a huge country as Russia, and, granted the amount of corruption there, I guess they are up for not really pleasant times.
    But, look on the bright side, they got Crimea! They finally solved their problem of insufficient territory! The amount of Russian trolling in this thread just confirms once more how happy they are now!
    There will always be a market for oil on the world stage, but you have to be able to get your product to market in an economically viable way. If the Bosporus were closed and Europe stopped importing through their pipelines, Russia would be limited in their capacity to move their product. Even where they can transport it, say through the Bosporus if it's not closed to their merchant shipping, the costs of transporting it go up, and since oil is a global commodity, they can't reasonably sell it for more. They'd have to eat the cost. If they can make a profit at all on that oil, it would make more sources of Russia oil economically unviable, which would devastate their E+P industry. Meanwhile, increased demand for Norwegian, Scottish, and US oil would result in a boom in those E+P industries.

That doesn't even go into how much more expensive it is to trade under US sanctions. International trade is conducted typically in US dollars, and banks have to obtain those dollars through US institutions. Sanctions can heavily affect the costs of doing business overseas, even for non-oil related products.
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Darkis View Post
    Stopped reading after this. Get off your high horse and do some research before posting utter bullshit.
    Russia sells weapons because 1: They are cheaper by far than Western weapons. 2: They will sell to just about anyone. 3: They are usually designed in a simplistic manner for ease of use by conscripts with minimal training.

Combat has not been kind to Russian designs the past 50 years.

Quote Originally Posted by Djalil View Post
    Ok neufab if you wish to continue this discussion you're free to send me a pm.
    Good. At least you didn't claim victory this time, you just ran off.

Maybe next time you will even get the the point where you will be able to admit being wrong.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Neufab View Post
    Good. At least you didn't claim victory this time, you just ran off.

Maybe next time you will even get the the point where you will be able to admit being wrong.

This guys... This is Neufab.