Page 5 of 27 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Deleted
    I don't think sexuality plays any role in the game. So really there isn't gay, straight, bi, transgender characters etc.
    Sexuality doesn't really need a place in the game.
    Maybe there are quests/stories where someone is married to someone else and stuff for the sake of a storyline which hints toward sexuality and such themes but really characters shouldn't need a sexuality label in my opinion.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Raybourne View Post
    Well, I'm sure you could find political messages in WoW.
    :I, where at?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Rivyr View Post
    It just is not needed to make the game feel engageing. Homophobia does not really figure into it so much as there just is not a need to feature it. I play with several openly gay people and they do not complain about it. Then again Heterosexual relationships in the game as a whole can be counted on both hands. Love/sexual orentation just does not figure into wow like it does in other games. The biggest mention of spouses and relationships usualy comes directly from a quest involveing a person who lost their spouce such as Tirion and Varian. There is the love letter quest in Elwynn but that dosent go beyond delivering a love letter.
    This right here in bold is this issue. LGBT is being treated as something that we don't need to see. And that is so appallingly wrong.

I personally find the lack of nu-trans fourth trimester transsensual Angst Profile ZETA-8 genderqueer pseudo-dyke reformed lesbiophilic heteromolluscs to be a lot more disturbing. Hopefully the writers become a lot more open-minded soon.

Deleted
    I love how most here wouldn't want to be stereotyped as no-lifer basement dwellers, yet they are quick to stereotype Blood Elf men as being gay because they are effeminate. /mindblown

If you actually stepped outside and stopped getting your life experience from the television, you'll see that many gay men are as "straight" or even straighter than most straight men, lol.

I can't think of a single valid reason to put a gay couple into a fantasy MMO like WoW. In fact, short of some story arc where a faction leader is handing, or preparing to hand, power to a son or daughter (which requires a male/female couple to create), I can't really think of any reason to have any relationship highlighted in WoW. And even that's a stretch, I don't know that Anduin's mother is ever identified.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by roahn the warlock View Post
    Well okay then, let's move on then. Who gives a crap. just by stating there is a difference makes it a difference.

I recall back to the Southpark episode about a flag. They didn't see 5 white guys and a black guy. they just saw 6 people.
    A lot of people give a crap. I do. LGBT around the world care about getting more exposure in the media.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lilly32 View Post
    So a Story Arc just finished in Guild Wars 2 featuring an openly lesbian couple. There are at least two lesbian couples in the game. Are there any openly gay couples in WoW? If there arent why not?
    How many straight couples are there in WoW?

Quote Originally Posted by Runeweaver View Post
    Plus Tholo and Anren from Molten Front.
    Damn you beat me to it.

Quote Originally Posted by Protar View Post
    It matters because LGBT rights is major issue today. And it is an issue that needs to be pushed, it's something which needs to be normalised. Yet to Metzen and Kosak and many other straight white male writers it is currently not normalised. Which means they're never going to just happen to write an LGBT character. And if we continue to wait for these heteronormative writers to just happen to write such a character, we'll never get any LGBT characters.
    You could always try making your own game series if these evil "straight white males" aren't going to accommodate you. A common trend when it comes to these kinds of people is that they're the first to criticize those who do not fawn over their social justice issues, yet are the last to take the initiative and actually address the issues they perceive in a practical way.

It matters because LGBT rights is major issue today. And it is an issue that needs to be pushed, it's something which needs to be normalised. Yet to Metzen and Kosak and many other straight white male writers it is currently not normalised. Which means they're never going to just happen to write an LGBT character. And if we continue to wait for these heteronormative writers to just happen to write such a character, we'll never get any LGBT characters.
    LGBT rights is a issue in real life, not video games. Stop trying to use video games to push your agenda, whether they be good intention or not.
    Goodbye-Forever-MMO-Champ
    Quote Originally Posted by HighlordJohnstone View Post
    Alleria's whispers start climaxing

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Pebrocks The Warlock View Post
    LGBT rights is a issue in real life, not video games. Stop trying to use video games to push your agenda, whether they be good intention or not.
    And video games are a major media outlet. The representation of LGBT characters and themes in games is important.

15+ Year Old Account
    It matters to you. Not to everyone, and there's plenty of people that completely disagree with your stance (not saying i'm one of them).
    I appreciate the honesty, you're admitting that you want it in the game to further a personal agenda, but WoW is not the right arena for it.

Also, how do you know that Merzen and Kosak doesn't see being gay as normal? I'm sure they see eating pizza is normal, even though it's not in the game. I bet they find literally millions of things normal, even though it's not in the game.

In today's climate, companies like Blizzard, for whom it's important to stay clear of politics to avoid alienating customers, will never just "happen" to write an LGBT character. And you know what? That's perfectly fine for everyone who doesn't want to push our political views on others in WoW.

So a Story Arc just finished in Guild Wars 2 featuring an openly lesbian couple. There are at least two lesbian couples in the game. Are there any openly gay couples in WoW? If there arent why not?
    I can't really see any reason there needs to be, but on the flip side I see no reason why there couldn't. The only reason I can think of why there aren't any is because there aren't any storyline lines where a persons orientation comes in to play. We're out killing big bad ass enemies, I think the last thing people in this universe would care about is where they want to stick their junk. By people I'm referring to the NPC's and what not. A war torn world probably isn't going to have very many story arcs that revolve around everyday life, thus I don't think we'll ever see one. If there was a good reason to have a gay couple in a story arc, I'm sure they would consider it, but the concept of homosexuality is pretty far removed from aliens invading and trying to take over the world.

10+ Year Old Account
    every one of my key strokes is actually a brush stroke on the canvas that is the off-topic forum
    How could you guys forget Hearthsinger Forresten

And video games are a major media outlet. The representation of LGBT characters and themes in games is important.
    No it's not. It's a video game. Every group does not need to be represented in every facet of life.

What's important is that video games don't cast negative images on specific groups. There doesn't HAVE to be any representation at all.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Alenarien View Post
    You could always try making your own game series if these evil "straight white males" aren't going to accommodate you. A common trend when it comes to these kinds of people is that they're the first to criticize those who do not fawn over their social justice issues, yet are the last to take the initiative and actually address the issues they perceive in a practical way.
    Where on earth would I get the resources to do that? That said, I hope at some point to be a published writer, so with any luck you'll be seeing one or two more books with LGBT characters on the shelves in a few years.

Quote Originally Posted by Venziir View Post
    How original.
    Female dwarfs?
    - He who moves first always wins -

There are almost as many openly gay couples as there are openly straight couples. Which is to say, hardly any at all. Because this is not a story driven by character romances. They just tend to occasionally happen as a side story or natural occurence. Jaina comprises 75% of all WoW Romances, she carries the libido of the entire Alliance and has had relations with almost three and a half people. Three and a half whole people.

Like, we can assume from subtext that Maive was a lesbian but when she was a major character in a mjaor novel they didn't mention it. Does that mean Maive wasnt' included in the story? Of course not, it's just that her sexuality didn't define her. And it shouldn't. I know we live in a world mostly repressed with regards to sexuality and so it can seem earth shattering when it is or isn't included but it really... isn't important.

Most of the LGBT community is so eager to be treated equally that they have yet to start doing one of the most important things to contribute towards that... Act equal. Which means not bringing up something typical as if it's a big deal. There aren't gay or straight characters in WarCraft. Just characters.
    Last edited by thesmall001; 2014-03-19 at 03:38 PM.

Important to some, not to all. The more people use video games for their own personal issues the more video games get diluted.
    They are meant to have fun in, not to push a issue.
    Goodbye-Forever-MMO-Champ
    Quote Originally Posted by HighlordJohnstone View Post
    Alleria's whispers start climaxing