Page 1 of 3
LastLast

New to Timeless Isle - trying to survive - Beast Master?

I boosted my Hunter to 90 and I am grinding on Timeless Isle for ilvl496 upgrades, the questlines, and, frankly, to learn my rotation in a place where I can only get myself killed

Is Beastmaster the best for this? It seems like if I have a tank pet and keep Mend Pet on him 100% of the time and use the Bond a Mend Pet glyphs he is really hard to kill. But I do kill Timeless mobs pretty slowly.

Are the other specs better? Or is safe and slow my best bet while I learn and get better gear?

Thanks.

Deleted
    Defo bm especially if your on pvp server. Use glyph of misdirection to keep mobs on your pet. If you can make it across the ordos bridge the 5min %health heal is great at keeping you and pet health topped off too.

If your taking a long time to kill mobs with your current gear might be worthwhile ignoring farming mobs and just keep doing bosses as others will help kill them and that way you get higher chances of the timeless gear drops.

The frogs are fairly decent to farm if you do go for mobs as they die fast just make sure you keep an eye on the stacks on your pet.

10+ Year Old Account
    Also don't forget to use all the buffs on the timeless isle. They help a ton when you don't have gear ( there is about 4-6 buffs in all ). if you haven't already, make sure you run around the isle and get all of the chests ( this will get you most of the 496 gear you need ) then run around and kill all the rares with everyone ( this will also net you with gear + a ton of Coins)

Once you get some coins from the rares - you can use them to purchase the coins for extra rolls from the older raids ( ilv 502 gear )

Hope some of this Helps Cheers

P.S Welcome to the hunter community =D

This is very helpful - thanks.

How do you hunt rares? I've tried. I have Handy Notes showing every rare on my map. But whenever someone spams "xxrare spawned at 100% health" it is dead LONG before I can figure out where it is and get there.

Should I maybe stay in one areas (the Tigers seem easy for me to grind on), memorize the few rares that are close, and just go for those? Maybe stop wasting my time trying to get to Cinder or Evermaw and the like for now?

tyvm

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mashugana View Post

How do you hunt rares? I've tried. I have Handy Notes showing every rare on my map. But whenever someone spams "xxrare spawned at 100% health" it is dead LONG before I can figure out where it is and get there.

Should I maybe stay in one areas (the Tigers seem easy for me to grind on), memorize the few rares that are close, and just go for those? Maybe stop wasting my time trying to get to Cinder or Evermaw and the like for now?

tyvm
    just try to catch the main ones - and most rares have a respawn timer ( know it - love it )
    Evermaw
    the crab right beside our flight point
    Houlong
    Cinder
    the ship

if you get these mostly on respawn, you will be fine ( most of these are pretty close to places i farm my coins.

the only way you would make it to most of the rares before they die, is to join a group for said rares and just follow the group.

It also helps if you use the mount that can walk across water.
    Last edited by Littlepinch; 2014-03-19 at 05:13 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mashugana View Post

tyvm
    This is what I did starting out. I boosted a Surv Hunter (just got BM as off spec today but haven't played it yet), and would just run around dotting all the cats to my pet (misdirect and mending glyphs) and then aoe them down. Geared up quick that way.

The feather buff is really nice for moving around the Isle, though. It gives the 30% mount speed boost and you can send them to your other toons. My Monk had a few and I mailed them to my Hunter. Helps for getting to those rares when they're announced in chat.

10+ Year Old Account
    STOP. If you haven't yet, run around the island and get all of the chests on the ground. There are, I think, about 30 of them and they have a chance to contain 496 gear. Do that first because it will get you gear which will make the rest easier. Forget grinding coins right away, get as much 496 gear as you can. If you dinged with a weapon under 450 go do the Arena of Annihilation scenario since it rewards a 450 blue. Not awesome, but better than a green 416 or something.

Obviously, use a tank (Tenacity) pet.

Doesn't matter what you do, you're just going to be food for the coin farmers.

The best rares to go for is

Dread Ship
    Evermaw
    Emerald Gander/Imperial Python/Shagskin(I think that's his name)
    Furyshell
    Monstrous Crab(i think is his name)

Houlon is nice, but coin farmers will trick you by saying he is up to get you to go up there. I have just learned to ignore Houlon.

Leafmender
    Black Guards
    Cinderfall

These rares are all up on the blazing way path. This place is full of high powered mobs who can one shot you if you pull them. Best to ignore these rares if you can't get around up there alive.

Best tip I have for new people on the isle.

If a rare spawns and you can't see it. It will be dead before you can reach it. Dread ship and Evermaw excluded some of the times. Sometimes Dread Ship can be blasted down within 1-2 min if enough people are there.

Any spec can do it good with a tank pet. My hunter was MM. Just keep the pet alive. Also there are moss covered chests hidden all over the place, the majority of your game will come from these.
    If what doesn't kill you, makes you stronger. Then I should be a god by now.

Deleted
    'rare co-ordinator' addon is great to track which rares will be up next. Each time you or another one sees it die it resets the time and due to the average respawn been around 45mins allows you to have a good guess which boss will respawn next. Not all spawn on timer but most of them do.

I came back to WoW after a 10 month break and used the island to play catch up. If bloody coin farmers are a big bother, switch out talents to narrow escape & Powershot and glyph explosive trap & scatter. Spend 10 minutes or so lurking near a cliff edge looking like a noob, maybe a bit of keyboard turning to lure them in. BW to clear stun-Disengage/web-Intimidate-RF-Powershot. If they pop trinket and charge or shadowstep or whatever, break cast-scatter-explosive trap-resume powershot if needed. They'll gank you in revenge at least once afterwards, but it only takes a few times splattering on the rocks before they decide the loss of their shiny coin-hunting buff and having to wait for the cd isn't worth it. Alternatively, spec post haste and hang out near the celestial courtyard and run to guards, but that isn't nearly as fun. Also be sure not to fire or let your pet hit them before doing so.

As said above, though, you do need to grab all the chests and get as much 496 gear as you can to survive the initial burst. If you don't get a curio (or possibly even if you do) consider getting 2 pvp trinkets for the set and 10% less player damage. Also, if you happen to have an overabundance of honor points, or just enjoy the pee vee pees, go nuts on the honor gear. Even with the pvp power budget it's at least as good as the 496 stuff. Also getting to 7250 honor for the season will let you buy a halfway decent weapon instead of that 489 'lol you're still going to be the lamest duck in the LFR' timeless coin pity piece.

The Lightbringer
    15+ Year Old Account
    your pet dies vs other mobs or you get smashed by other players?
    anyway:
    - go SV with a tenacity pet (i prefer wolf because of the crit buff), BM is slower if you want to kill the shielding ordos mobs because pets are stupid and won't go bite their asses when they shield
    - all the caster mobs have really big direct spells, use interrupt and stun as much as possible

ox/cranes/turtles are the easiest mobs to kill at low ilvl as hunter

10+ Year Old Account
    he won't be killing the ordos mobs yet ( i'm pretty sure )

I find BM the better spec at lower ilvs.

at sub 496 ilv bm dps will pull ahead of surv since he wouldn't have the 4 pcs yet to fish for procs ( is what surv is all about ).

Pandaren Monk
    15+ Year Old Account
    I could be mistaken on this, but I'm under the impression it's not wise to play BM with a tenacity pet.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Beace View Post
    I could be mistaken on this, but I'm under the impression it's not wise to play BM with a tenacity pet.
    If you need your pet to live through some nasty dmg - it's just fine, the dps loss is minimal. In a raid, yes it would be bad

He's at a low gear ilv, So surviving is prio. Also his pets taunt won't work on mobs over lv 91 so with the tenacity pet, he will be able to keep agro on the mobs easier.
    the glyph of misdirection is great for this purpose as well.

Pandaren Monk
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Littlepinch View Post
    If you need your pet to live through some nasty dmg - it's just fine, the dps loss is minimal. In a raid, yes it would be bad

He's at a low gear ilv, So surviving is prio. Also his pets taunt won't work on mobs over lv 91 so with the tenacity pet, he will be able to keep agro on the mobs easier.
    the glyph of misdirection is great for this purpose as well.
    Well pet survivability is pretty much equal across all 3 hunter specs (not counting stuff like glyph of endless wrath). And with the misdirection glyph you mention, you never have to worry about aggro if you macro it in your abilities.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Beace View Post
    Well pet survivability is pretty much equal across all 3 hunter specs (not counting stuff like glyph of endless wrath). And with the misdirection glyph you mention, you never have to worry about aggro if you macro it in your abilities.
    But my point was that there is no downside to using a Tank spec pet in this situation. At his gear ilv he won't even notice the dps difference and with the high threat abilities of the tank pet, it will allow him to be " lazy " with the micro managing.

Cause we all know how interesting and fun the isle is

Get Chi-ji's hope and get book of the ages. If you can get singing crystal and dew of eternal morning that's a bonus too. Also get crystal of insanity by looting the purple crystals north of court in the cave. Loot all Blazing Chests, one contains a burden and do Rolo's Riddle quest.
    Quote Originally Posted by kbarh View Post
    may i suggest you check out wowwiki or any similar site, it's Grom that orders the murder of Cairne

the isle buff makes even a new 90 a monster

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by anjan011 View Post
    the isle buff makes even a new 90 a monster
    Dat Chi-Ji Buff eh lol

Quote Originally Posted by clevin View Post
    STOP. If you haven't yet, run around the island and get all of the chests on the ground. There are, I think, about 30 of them and they have a chance to contain 496 gear. Do that first because it will get you gear which will make the rest easier. Forget grinding coins right away, get as much 496 gear as you can. If you dinged with a weapon under 450 go do the Arena of Annihilation scenario since it rewards a 450 blue. Not awesome, but better than a green 416 or something.

Obviously, use a tank (Tenacity) pet.
    It doesnt take long though (after getting as much 496 gear as you can) to grind up 20000 coins (I just got this on my new boosted rogue in 2 days) for the 496 weapon (or in my rogues case - 2x 10000 coin daggers).