Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bats View Post
    Uhm, so basically you're saying that when someone doesn't believe in something you do is stupid? Not sure what advice to give you here except wish you luck with finding anyone who'd like to have a conversation with a person with that way of thinking.
    shhh... op thinks it's smart to think the way he thinks. everyone else is stupid apparently.

Quote Originally Posted by CheeseSandwich View Post
    and in fact having discussions with those people on those subject, as long as it remains civil, can be enlightening and fulfilling for both parties.
    I've tried, it often turns out that they believe in this because they read it somewhere on the internet or something. Complete lack of critical thinking. And that's what I'm searching for, critical thinking. I can't find it, just doesn't exist anywhere...
    The missing plane is a good example, pretty much everyone believes in some crazy theory about how it disappeared. I've bet a few people the equivalent of $100 that it just broke and fell over the ocean.
    Last edited by haxartus; 2014-03-19 at 06:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryngo Blackratchet View Post
    The OP words it really badly, but I can relate. I couldn't care less how "intelligent" the person is, but it seems like the last 5 years or so, people are really lacking the social skills to make conversation interesting, regardless of the topic. So many awkward silences or me carrying the discussion one sided (which I promise isn't my intention.)

It sort of feels like the dependency on social media has made people very socially awkward. If they don't have the time to think and type their response, they're no good face to face. Just an observation.
    I can understand that but he isn't talking about social awkwardness. He is talking about differing beliefs. everyone has differing beliefs, you just work around that. In fact from my viewpoint people who can't work around that often come across to me as being "socially awkward". I have no issue discussing religion with a fanatic, there is always something to learn from everything. Be a sponge and soak that shit up.

400 years from now when we all live in robotic bodies trading experiences as currency, you will be rich like me.

10+ Year Old Account
    To break stereotypes, some of the nerds I hang out with cannot hold an 'intelligent' conversation. My best friend and her group of friends (my friends by association), who care more about fashion than science, still provide really interesting discussions about things like politics or global news.

In other words just look around without judging people based off of their 'clique'. Also, keep in mind that not knowing about 'gravitational waves' doesn't make the person you're talking to stupid. It's just not a subject they are interested in. What you're looking for isn't an 'intelligent' person, it's a person who shares your interests.

Quote Originally Posted by haxartus View Post
    So I want to find relatively smart people for interesting conversations. But every time I find someone that might be intelligent, and it turns out they have some absurd idiotic belief that destroys all of their credibility. Astrology, UFOs, conspiracy theories, psychic powers, ancient technological civilizations, ghosts, etc... Why is that ? Is it impossible for someone to have a real critical thinking ?
    because theres a lot of truth to it. nearly all of those exist ! the human brain is the limiter in this case.

if you think people believing in those things are dumb, i suppose you are WAY more dumb.

10+ Year Old Account
    Intelligence has nothing to do with what you believe. Some of those people on Ancient Aliens are probably geniuses, but they still believe, or are looking for proof of Ancient aliens.

I've tried, it often turns out that they believe in this because they read it somewhere on the internet or something. Complete lack of critical thinking. And that's what I'm searching for, critical thinking. I can't find it, just doesn't exist anywhere...
    So then they saved you the time of having to read it yourself. Something gained.

Deleted
    Hmm. Try another forum, such as one that is not the gathering for astrology nerds, who have been abducted by aliens believed to be summoned here by ancient civilizations, who now also haunts us as ghosts btw., and use telepathy to communicate about conspiracy theories to avoid big-brother? Okay, nevermind.

I can't answer your question, except that we are all different and all have our quirks. But you probably just need to see more, and, more importantly, different, people, though the smarter they are, the more isolated they are probably going to be (just a hunch).
    Last edited by mmoc859327f960; 2014-03-19 at 06:55 PM.

Deleted
    Sounds like you are looking for pretentious and boring conversation tbh.

10+ Year Old Account
    It's not hard at all, we're everywhere!

c wut i did thar?

Try universities? You find a lot of smart people there. :P There are all kinds of wackos too but, you know, being different doesn't immediately make you a retard. Actually intelligent people tend to be open for new things because they understand that you'll actually never understand anything. It's all just theories.
    Last edited by Thes; 2014-03-19 at 06:54 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Its just because there are less intelligent people than its counterpart, and by a huge factor.
    Just look at the answers u got in this very thread, most of them seem to actually believe some or all the garbage u listed.

Quote Originally Posted by Quetzl View Post

c wut i did thar?
    There! There's one, haxartus. Do you guys mind having an intellectual conversation right now to show the rest of the world what it's all about?
    Man often meets his destiny, on the path he takes to avoid it.

How I can talk with someone about the recent gravitational waves discovery when they believe in astrology ?
    How can I talk about with someone about history when they believe that there was an ancient civilization more advanced than us ?
    How can I talk with someone about politics when they have their own crazy conspiracy theory about how the world works ?
    This right here makes you sound stupid. Astrology has nothing to do with astrophysics.

And you don't want intellectual conversation, you want to talk to people who believe the same things you do.

Being able have an intellectual conversation is being able to discuss many different subjects from varying perspectives. You can have an intellectual debate about history with someone even if they believe in aliens. It's all a matter of how the discussion is handled, not necessarily the topic.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Quetzl View Post

c wut i did thar?
    Praise our feathered serpent God-man!

Quote Originally Posted by DrStiglit View Post
    This right here makes you sound stupid. Astrology has nothing to do with astrophysics.
    So the belief that the movement of the stars dictates what will happen to you during the day has nothing to do with astrophysics ?
    Find me one astrophysicist that believes in this shit... Most of the people who believe in astrology don't even know what a star is, let alone the laws that dictate it's movement.

The missing plane is a good example, pretty much everyone believes in some crazy theory about how it disappeared. I've bet a few people the equivalent of $100 that it just broke and fell over the ocean.
    I know what you mean, without going into details, I have known what you describe directly from my own family. The problem, imo, with every crazy theory on the internet, there is always a group of people that will readily subscribe to that ideal, and hence they reinforce and justify each other's beliefs.
    It does exist, look for any reputable skeptic groups, or some non-theism groups, share your thoughts and gain knowledge iwith which to counter the crazier ideals you may encounter.
    And Re: the missing plane, yeah I agree. all sorts of crazy ideas have been floated, when everyone with a reasonable mind can see that MIGHTY CTHULU AROSE FROM THE DEPTHS OF THE OCEAN AND DEVOURED THE PLANE WHOLE. ALL HAIL THE COMING OF CTHULU!!!! :P

Quote Originally Posted by Bats View Post
    There! There's one, haxartus. Do you guys mind having an intellectual conversation right now to show the rest of the world what it's all about?
    THIS RIGHT NOW

I demand an intelligent conversation be had in this thread between you two on a subject of your choosing. I wish to be entertained.

Perhaps you aren't the smart one but they are after all?

So the belief that the movement of the starts dictates what will happen to you during the day has nothing to do with astrophysics ?
    Find me one astrophysicist that believes in this shit...
    If we assume that the stars could affect Earths magnetic fields causing an electrons to move in the atmosphere causing your brain to change it's neuron states and make you jump from a cliff because why not... No.