Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    10+ Year Old Account

Couple of Combat Q's

Starting on heroic paragons next week. I've been going combat the last few months and feel pretty solid about it, but there are a few nuances I'm curious about that I haven't found explained elsewhere.

1 - Is it preferable to use slice and dice at 5 combo points, or with 1 combo point after you've used a 5-point finisher?

2 - Say I have 20 seconds left on killing spree's CD and AR/SB is up. I'm low on energy and combo points. Should I pop AR/SB or wait out killing spree's CD? What's the threshold here with killing spree's CD? When do I delay and when do I let fly?

Thanks, guys.

1 - no. 2 - merged to a relevant thread. Read the posts here. -Kael
    Last edited by Kael; 2014-04-03 at 09:21 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Remery View Post
    Sorry but what is the proper opener for combat

I usually do

Ambush > RS > SS > SnD > KS > SB/AR > Rupture > Spam Evi

But some people seem to do

Ambush > RS > SnD > SS to 5 point Rupture > KS > SB/AR > SS > Spam Evi
    hi guys, new to combat and rouge^^ overall,
    my pull rotation was like
    ambush>ks>sb/ar>rvs>snd>ss> whatever
    whats wrong with that?

anyways really impressed w my numbers (556 w cloak) as opposed to my other twinks at that level (retribution and frost mage)

Deleted
    RvS before SB/AR, and macro SB/AR to cast SS as well - as they are not on the GCD you won't lose the time it would take to hit the SS.
    Also, SnD before KS as the auto attacks are still affected by haste during KS.

Ambush > SnD > KS > RvS > AR/SB > SS to 5+ CP > Rupture > Standard rotation

Whether or not to delay first KS for Shallow Insight seems like an individual raid thing. We use Skull Banner/Shattering Throw/Stormlash Totem pretty much at pull as it allows for higher fire mage combustions etc. If your raid does the same I'd suggest you use the above opener so you'll have your main CDs rolling during that period.
    Last edited by mmoc0b3cb0c063; 2014-04-03 at 12:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lothar View Post
    hi guys, new to combat and rouge^^ overall,
    my pull rotation was like
    ambush>ks>sb/ar>rvs>snd>ss> whatever
    whats wrong with that?

anyways really impressed w my numbers (556 w cloak) as opposed to my other twinks at that level (retribution and frost mage)
    i open like this my self. shadowstep/ambush macro>slice>ks>rsv/adr/sb together>normal rotation>ks again. on juggernaut i usually do 440-460k depending on rng procs and with no tots from another rogue. im trying hard to reach 500k but i dont think its possible without another 2-3 rogues spamming tots on u. and the fight must last aproxx 3:40 to be able to be that high

Deleted
    On a more general note, people put far too much emphasis on the opener. High ranks with combat don't come from the first 30 sec, but from the high amount of sustain you can achieve when properly utilizing Bandit's Guile and CD timings.

I use cooldowns as soon as they are up, so long as I'm not full energy, and I don't mind overlapping them, in fact I believe its a dps boost to overlap KS+AR+SB counter intuitively. The massive damage boost 4xt16 gives killing spree also hugely buffs the hasted shadow autoattacks from SB and AR and easily outdamages the 2 or 3 globals you lose by using KS.

Quote Originally Posted by Lachtobi View Post
    utilizing Bandit's Guile and CD timings.
    Not sure if joking or not, but delaying for BGuile when CDs are up is a dps loss everytime.

Quote Originally Posted by lolpve View Post
    I use cooldowns as soon as they are up, so long as I'm not full energy, and I don't mind overlapping them, in fact I believe its a dps boost to overlap KS+AR+SB counter intuitively. The massive damage boost 4xt16 gives killing spree also hugely buffs the hasted shadow autoattacks from SB and AR and easily outdamages the 2 or 3 globals you lose by using KS.
    T16 4-set doesn't do squat to your autoattacks (or shadow blades) during killing spree. it ONLY affects the direct strikes from killing spree. The general damage bonus is at 50% the whole time.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by SilkDath View Post
    Not sure if joking or not, but delaying for BGuile when CDs are up is a dps loss everytime.
    I think he means utilizing anticipation to control the bguile while not standing with cds up, otherwise yes, waiting is a loss almost everytime.