Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

should i switch proffs.. ?

evening fellow shaman

just a quick question I would like your opinion on

I am an enhance shaman with 600 in mining and blacksmithing but feel blacksmithing is wasted on me as three are no weapons I can craft that are worth it, I mean sure I get extra socket in bracers and gloves. but is it worth keeping the profession for that, should I switch to . something more useful like JC or enchanting etc. also with no idea what's around the corner in WoD with profession, what is your opinion, should I stay blk smith or change it up.

I realise that a profession grind is a proper pain in the ass but .. I dunno what do you all think.

thanks for taking the time to read this,

wikidsik- deathwing

I'm not sure if I'm the minority on this, but I've always thought that professions don't make much of a difference overall and to just go with whatever you prefer.

Keep it, get other professions on alts

10+ Year Old Account
    Are you raiding or just generally fucking around in the game(i dont mean it as being offensive) i mean like doing solo content killing world bosses LFR, if raiding id go with engineering the synpse spring is a nice dps boost and everyone loves the glider on the cloak :P
    I'm gonna let 'em know that Dolemite is back on the scene! I'm gonna let 'em know that Dolemite is my name, and fuckin' up motherfuckers is my game!

10+ Year Old Account
    Maybe drop mining and get a more useful profession, then level mining on an alt. It should be faster instead of having to switch blacksmithing to an alt eventually.

Given that WoD is out at the end of this year, and with that we're getting garrisons that allow for us to have "minions" that give us access to other professions, I wouldn't waste the gold on respeccing to a new profession unless you've got the money to burn.

10+ Year Old Account
    As a rule of thumb, save tanks. A main should never have a gathering profession, because they usually suck.

Blacksmithing/jewlcrafting. With a mining alt is what you want.

Use your boost on a lvl 60 you own to get a few up to help

I'd change mining first lol, leave blacksmithing for last.

Get engineering its the best profession imo.

I plan on using my 90 boost to create a gatherer alt with mining and herbalism.

It's probably the biggest pain to level and they're scaling back its coverage in WoD but I cannot recommend enchanting enough. It will always be the most profitable and most consistently in demand of the professions. Whether people are impatient to get their new shiny blessed or desperate for raw materials only enchanting can provide, the cash rolls in. Best decision I made on my Shaman was to drop mining for it.

Quote Originally Posted by MegaAverageGamers View Post
    evening fellow shaman

I am an enhance shaman with 600 in mining and blacksmithing but feel blacksmithing is wasted on me as three are no weapons I can craft that are worth it, I mean sure I get extra socket in bracers and gloves. but is it worth keeping the profession for that, should I switch to . something more useful like JC or enchanting etc. also with no idea what's around the corner in WoD with profession, what is your opinion, should I stay blk smith or change it up.

I realise that a profession grind is a proper pain in the ass but .. I dunno what do you all think.

wikidsik- deathwing
    Uhh, no one has used BS purely to get good BoP gear for their toon in, idk, 8 years? Because it doesn't matter, and hasn't for a long time, and never will again. The best, versatile profession combinations in the game all include Blacksmithing.
    JC/Blacksmithing being the best.
    LW/BS being the best for certain specs (like tanking). Also good at the beginning of an expansion if bracer enchant patterns require rep.
    and Engi/BS. Also good at the beginning of expansions because of an epic helmet available immediately before you get into any content.

Anything can go in that socket. Maybe a tier/build needs mastery or haste or crit to be the best, in the same exact gear you'd be better than someone else because you could have two extra sockets for those gems, in addition to JC (which you should get instead of mining). You're only going to get Agi/Str/Int/Stam from Enchanting. Only going to get a proc from Tailoring.

TLDR replace mining with JC and keep BS.

10+ Year Old Account
    Replace mining for engineering. Glider > other bonuses

15+ Year Old Account
    I would definately drop mining for something else. JC is good but so is leatherworking. Tailoring isn't that bad of a profession to pick up either especially if you're ele or resto (enh still benefits from a cloak enchant that is better than crit or hit that is available to non-tailors). And in all honesty, BS isn't that great of a profession to pick up for non-plate wearing classes. You can't make your own gear. My bf is finding this out now on his shaman eventhough I told him LW makes mail armor.

BS isn't that great of a profession to pick up for non-plate wearing classes
    Wat? BS is an awesome professions for any spec in the game really, since you get prismatic sockets, which means you can get whatever bonus you want. I'd love to get mastery instead of my current intellect bonus.

What you can make may not be useful, but that gear is usually useless when you start raiding anyway, so might as well take a profs that gives as good a bonus as possible, and BS is #1 in that regard. Furthermore you can earn easy gold on BS on weapons/armor and on belt buckles and that wep enchant.

@OP, I would drop mining for Engineering, because the cooldown adds very nicely with other bonuses, plus the nitro boost is awesome as hell. Glider is a nice bonus for various places in raids.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by runedhill View Post
    Uhh, no one has used BS purely to get good BoP gear for their toon in, idk, 8 years? Because it doesn't matter, and hasn't for a long time, and never will again. The best, versatile profession combinations in the game all include Blacksmithing.
    JC/Blacksmithing being the best.
    LW/BS being the best for certain specs (like tanking). Also good at the beginning of an expansion if bracer enchant patterns require rep.
    and Engi/BS. Also good at the beginning of expansions because of an epic helmet available immediately before you get into any content.

Anything can go in that socket. Maybe a tier/build needs mastery or haste or crit to be the best, in the same exact gear you'd be better than someone else because you could have two extra sockets for those gems, in addition to JC (which you should get instead of mining). You're only going to get Agi/Str/Int/Stam from Enchanting. Only going to get a proc from Tailoring.

yes I understand its not much use for actual gear for your character, but I lvld blacksmithing in BC wen you get them uber cool weapons like dragon strike and planar fury ( I think that was the name of the axe.) but now there seems to be no "useful" items in blacksmith apart from belt buckle and sockets, which I must admit are very good, just mean that 90-99% of what I can make is useless to me, I am going to keep blacksmith and swap mining, for something , not sure what yet, might go enchanting, though I believe its a pain to level and expensive.. hehe

thanks for the reply's

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by gaymer77 View Post
    I would definately drop mining for something else. JC is good but so is leatherworking. Tailoring isn't that bad of a profession to pick up either especially if you're ele or resto (enh still benefits from a cloak enchant that is better than crit or hit that is available to non-tailors). And in all honesty, BS isn't that great of a profession to pick up for non-plate wearing classes. You can't make your own gear. My bf is finding this out now on his shaman eventhough I told him LW makes mail armor.
    yes I feel his pain but I just hope they add more weapons in WoD because that's what I got BS for in the first place hehe and at least I can make a semi useful int shield lol

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    Crafting was fun but I think you have to separate crafting and enhancing your toon. Crafting gear is nice and yes back in the day we could make some beneficial weapons for ourselves and for our guildies and of course for profit, but now that the weapons we can craft fall far behind what drops in raids. So if you raid weapons aren’t so special but the extra sockets are a very big enhancement to our gear, also consider that sockets on WoD gear will be few and far between so you may want to keep blacksmithing.

Blacksmithing is my original profession and the only one I have never changed on my Shammy. I was also a JC for years but with the market for gem’s being what it was in later Cata and MoP I switched to Enchanting, it was a good change for me and the raid team I am on.

I expect to make some good gold early on in MoD with enchanting mats but I will have to wait and see if that happens.

10+ Year Old Account
    You have that the wrong way around. Blacksmithing is AWESOME due to the additional sockets for the double secondary stats. Mining is the profession that you ought to ditch. Engineering is probably the best choice. And then the other crafting professions. Gathering professions are generally meh for most specs.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by MegaAverageGamers View Post
    evening fellow shaman

wikidsik- deathwing
    I have Blacksmithing and Leatherworking on my shaman, tbh all proffs give the same statswise. I would personally get rid of mining instead of BS.

I'd hold off until we know more about how professions are going to work in WoD. It's all up in the air.

Quote Originally Posted by runedhill View Post
    JC is not great. engineering is a better replacement for mining.