10+ Year Old Account

Can I move SATA cables from controller card to MB?

In the past week i've been getting Event 11: The driver detected a controller error on \Device\Ide\IdePort2 error messages in Event Viewer (Windows 7 Pro 64bit). I've checked the HDD's with Chkdsk (both options toggled) and Memtest, everything came back in working order. My next steps were to be replacing the SATA cables or moving them, I didn't really have a particular order. But when I opened the case up, I realized that the hard drives are plugged into a controller card. I don't remember WHY we went that route or even that we WENT that route... but apparently we did.

I want to move the SATA cables from the card to the board to see if the situation is rememdied, but I don't know if there will be any consequences to doing so. I would hate to have to reinstall the OS or something improbable like accidentally blow up the damn thing upon startup. The motherboard is an ASUS M4A79XTD EVO, there was a DVD ROM plugged into the SATA1 port that's since been disconnected. I never use it (one time in almost three years). Not sure if that was relevant or not but there it is.

You can definitely swap them from the controller card to the mobo without any repercussions. At most windows will detect new hardware and ask for drivers or look for them automatically. No reformatting needed, everything will be recognized and stay the same.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Undies View Post
    You can definitely swap them from the controller card to the mobo without any repercussions. At most windows will detect new hardware and ask for drivers or look for them automatically. No reformatting needed, everything will be recognized and stay the same.
    Phew! Load off my mind. Just have to take a look at the numbers on the HDDs and reset the boot drive in the BIOS. I'll report back with results, cross your fingers!

Deleted
    absolute worst that will happen is your drive letters will change.
    this can be solved in computer management (unless its the boot drive ofc)

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm still posting from a laptop but my tower is up and running, drive designations are still the same and I didn't have to re-designate a boot drive. I'm in the process of testing (playing video games, lets be honest) the machine and every time I tab out to open Event Viewer (something that would trigger an Event 11 itself), there's nothing there! No errors yet! Hopefully not ever! Thank you for the help and assurances guys. I can always count on the folks in this forum when I'm stuck.