Deleted

Monthly Buys help and idea to switch.

So i can't afford to spend all out at once on a new computer. Currently i use a macbook air for everything and have used some form of macbook for around 6 years now. Before that i used to build my own computer and really enjoyed it. I don't game as much as i used to i still play WoW and blizzard games and dabble in some other games, i also do a lot of video converting mainly HD files and editing also.

I am a student in the UK but i travel a lot and also house a house in the USA so can buy from UK or USA for deliveries so i thought why not build up a new computer bit by bit over time, is this a bad idea?

I was thinking of starting with a motherboard and working from there buying parts as i can afford them, i have legal copies of Windows 7 and 8 and i currently have a Razer Naga, Razer Blackwidow Ultimate, a 24 inch monitor as well as two external 2 TB hard drives and a crucial speakers so i thought i am doing okay on those things and theres no reason not to start working towards a build.

I want to be able to raid and play WoW on the highest settings in 1080p, also to play new games at a decent rate, does not have to be amazing. My budget is the lowest possible to get something decent, i mainly enjoy MMO games so would ideally need a build for those.

Where should i start here, buying a motherboard and buying bits piece by piece or will it change so quick it will get outdated?

Any ideas on set ups, i was looking at the dolphin build on the front page?

Just looking for advice as i have to run WoW on low on my macbook air and feel like i need a change! I will be keeping the air though to use as every day since it ties in well with my iPhone and Apple TV.

Thanks for any help

10+ Year Old Account
    Are you going to use your PC for video converting? If so, do you do it for money or for fun? If only for fun then an i5 system will do, if you get payed (aka it's your job) then you want an i7 build.
    Buying parts bit by bit is not the best way to do it, you can buy the bare minimum for a PC and then add stuff later as you go a long.
    For example:
    Step 1: buy a CPU, mobo a single stick of RAM a PSU and a HDD
    Step 2: buy a GPU and a case
    Step 3: if you go with k model, buy aftermarket cooler and an SSD
    Step 4: buy second stick of RAM
    Step 5: buy a case

At this point you should decide which CPU you want, for the games you can do fine with 750ti or 270x, depending which way you swing
    I should mention, that if you don't plan on doing video converting, an i3 will handle games fine.
    PM me weird stuff :3

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyrops View Post
    Are you going to use your PC for video converting? If so, do you do it for money or for fun? If only for fun then an i5 system will do, if you get payed (aka it's your job) then you want an i7 build.
    Buying parts bit by bit is not the best way to do it, you can buy the bare minimum for a PC and then add stuff later as you go a long.
    For example:
    Step 1: buy a CPU, mobo a single stick of RAM a PSU and a HDD
    Step 2: buy a GPU and a case
    Step 3: if you go with k model, buy aftermarket cooler and an SSD
    Step 4: buy second stick of RAM
    Step 5: buy a case

At this point you should decide which CPU you want, for the games you can do fine with 750ti or 270x, depending which way you swing
    I should mention, that if you don't plan on doing video converting, an i3 will handle games fine.
    Thats great thanks so much, i just mainly do it for fun for myself and friends so i don't need anything too crazy. I honestly know nothing about current specs and makes etc its been about 8 years since i even looked into it at all as I've been solely using mac's since then!

Do you have any configurations for step 1 or a ideal starting point as I'm honestly a little lost on it all. As long as it runs the newest mom such as elder scrolls and WoW on the best settings thats my main goal really here. Video editing and converting is a secondary use for me.

Right now I'm playing on a 2012 macbook air 11 inch connected to a monitor so anything will be better i think. Im just frustrated at the lack of even playing the latest games or any chance of it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by brersam View Post
    Thats great thanks so much, i just mainly do it for fun for myself and friends so i don't need anything too crazy. I honestly know nothing about current specs and makes etc its been about 8 years since i even looked into it at all as I've been solely using mac's since then!

Do you have any configurations for step 1 or a ideal starting point as I'm honestly a little lost on it all. As long as it runs the newest mom such as elder scrolls and WoW on the best settings thats my main goal really here. Video editing and converting is a secondary use for me.

Right now I'm playing on a 2012 macbook air 11 inch connected to a monitor so anything will be better i think. Im just frustrated at the lack of even playing the latest games or any chance of it.
    From another post, a complete build:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i3-4330 3.5GHz Dual-Core Processor ($134.93 @ OutletPC)
    Motherboard: ASRock H81M-HDS Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($54.99 @ Mwave)
    Memory: A-Data XPG V1.0 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($63.99 @ Newegg)
    Storage: Crucial M500 120GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($69.99 @ SuperBiiz)
    Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($57.98 @ OutletPC)
    Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 750 Ti 2GB Video Card ($159.99 @ NCIX US)
    Case: Cooler Master HAF 912 ATX Mid Tower Case ($55.99 @ Mwave)
    Power Supply: XFX 550W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($59.99 @ Newegg)
    Total: $657.85
    (Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
    (Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-03-20 07:16 EDT-0400)

MMO's will run decently, outside of raids Ultra settings with 40+FPS shouldn't be a stretch. If you want something more, swapping CPU for unlocked one would be the best choice:

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($219.00 @ Amazon)
    CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($29.99 @ NCIX US)
    Motherboard: ASRock Z87 Pro3 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($94.99 @ Newegg)
    Memory: A-Data XPG V1.0 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($63.99 @ Newegg)
    Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($57.98 @ OutletPC)
    Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 750 Ti 2GB Video Card ($159.99 @ NCIX US)
    Total: $811.91
    (Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-03-20 07:18 EDT-0400)

You can see how much the price goes up.

So for step one, if you go with i5 build:

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($219.00 @ Amazon)
    Motherboard: ASRock Z87 Pro3 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($94.99 @ Newegg)
    Memory: A-Data XPG V1.0 4GB (1 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($39.99 @ Newegg)
    Total: $539.95
    (Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-03-20 07:20 EDT-0400)

The cpu will run on stock with stock cooler no problem and you can play games on integrated GPU, on low-medium settings.
    PM me weird stuff :3