Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ...
    Quote Originally Posted by Masark View Post
    I dunno about Ontario, but 9pm is typical closing time for most businesses around here.
    Which province is that, if you don't mind my asking? Everything closes really early where I am but I had thought it was just the small back-water nature of this place... I had guessed and hoped that Toronto might be more Big City like.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Wildtree View Post
    Just stop....
    I've loosely browsed around now about that claim, and I noticed how the countries that are really famous for their beers aren't even competing.. And if they do, it's meta breweries which are considered the worst beers in said countries within those countries.

American beer is, with a few exceptions nothing short of a pissing substitute...... it's of all countries I've ever visited hands down the worst beer.
    It's worse than dutch beer... and that says something. When Heineken is amongst the best beers one can buy, you know you are in a bad beer country..

Now where's the difference?
    The difference lies whether a country has a few thousand breweries and all but maybe a handful have exceptionally good beer, and that handful makes bad beer,
    or there are thousands of breweries and they all make bad beer but only a handful make good beer.
    You're laughably wrong.

I like how you insinuated that the countries known for their beer don't do well. If you had any clue whatsoever about how these event work, such as the world beer cup, you'd know there simply can't be any kind of favoritism or sabotage involved as they're blind taste testings done in different locations with judges from different countries.

I'm sorry that European judges when blinded to labels think US beer is tops in your own competitions.
    Rudimentary creatures of blood and flesh. You touch my mind, fumbling in ignorance, incapable of understanding.
    You exist because we allow it, and you will end because we demand it.

Sovereign
    Mass Effect

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by xinjun View Post
    Which province is that, if you don't mind my asking? Everything closes really early where I am but I had thought it was just the small back-water nature of this place... I had guessed and hoped that Toronto might be more Big City like.
    Saskatchewan. Usual store closing time here is 6pm on Monday, Tuesday, and Saturday, and 9pm on Wednesday-Friday. Some restaurants are open until 10, as are some major chain stores (Target until 10, Walmart til 11) and bars are legally required to close no later than 2am.

Warning : Above post may contain snark and/or sarcasm. Try reparsing with the /s argument before replying.
    What the world has learned is that America is never more than one election away from losing its goddamned mind
    Quote Originally Posted by Howard Tayler
    Political conservatism is just atavism with extra syllables and a necktie.
    Me on Elite : Dangerous | My WoW characters

When I was in Canada pretty sure nobody could tell I was American nor do I think they would care.

The main differences I noticed (in Vancouver) were liquor stores close early as hell, their sky-train doesnt even have a system in place to prevent people from walking on without a ticket, there are asians EVERYWHERE, tim hortons is awesome, they poutine fries (also pretty good), many products also have french on them, and their money looks like you are playing monopoly.

Otherwise its a lot like USA

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tradewind View Post
    - About the same as it would be in the US, only it's better.
    - It's also called a Toque, not a Tuke.
    - Varies, 2am usually.
    - Mostly nonplussed as long as it stays away from politics and guns Chances are unless you flat out say "I'm an American!!" nobody will either know nor care.

Depends where you go in Canada.

Quebec is like France. The closer to Montreal, the more ethnocentric. (Not being insulting. It's the same mentality that people expect from Parisians.)
    Don't talk about what you don't know, guys !

Quebec isn't like France.. If you go in Montreal you'll be able to find a lot of peoples who speak english (even more than peoples who speak french !) The city is a big metropolis like New york with a lot of ethnicity.

Bar/club closed around 3ham.

Beer aren't that expensive and you could find a very large variety of big brand beer or microbrewery.
    Last edited by Malkazam; 2014-03-21 at 04:21 PM.
    \m/(-_-)\m/

I'm alone again and old pine tree
    Asked me, where's your woman?
    I said: Shut up or I make of you another Firewood

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Canada,we've got freedom too, except we don't pretend to be american when we travel.
    1: generally, beer here is stronger, by a few percent, so hedge your bets until you know how you hold it.
    2: Endus is right, we hate assholes.
    3: NO-fuckin-BODY says aboot. NOBODY.
    4: We take many a canadian joke with good humor, if you hear an American one while up here, don't do the typical butthurt routine, just grin and bare it.
    5: We know you guys like to pretend to be Canadian when you travel, but if you try that when you come to Canada, we're gonna know. lol
    6: leave your guns at home.
    7: have a good time
    "There are other sites on the internet designed for people to make friends or relationships. This isn't one" Darsithis Super Moderator
    Proof that the mmochamp community can be a bitter and lonely place. What a shame.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigbamboozal View Post
    3: NO-fuckin-BODY says aboot.
    Nope, not true. You do, you just don't realize it. "Aboot" is an exaggeration but it's more like halfway between about (American .. or perhaps for more accuracy I should say Californian) and aboot. I hear it all the time.
    Last edited by xinjun; 2014-03-24 at 01:49 PM.
    Normal is the name for the mental disorder present in the majority of humanity.
    Xinjun

Keyboard Turner
    10+ Year Old Account
    1: generally, beer here is stronger, by a few percent, so hedge your bets until you know how you hold it.
    4: We take many a canadian joke with good humor, if you hear an American one while up here, don't do the typical butthurt routine, just grin and bare it.
    5: We know you guys like to pretend to be Canadian when you travel, but if you try that when you come to Canada, we're gonna know. lol
    Newfies say aboot! it's like a whole different language when they get together and you're the outsider.

Quote Originally Posted by Malkazam View Post
    Depends where you go in Canada.

Don't talk about what you don't know, guys !

Quebec isn't like France.. If you go in Montreal you'll be able to find a lot of peoples who speak english (even more than peoples who speak french !) The city is a big metropolis like New york with a lot of ethnicity.

Bar/club closed around 3ham.

Beer aren't that expensive and you could find a very large variety of big brand beer or microbrewery.
    Indeed , don't mistake Quebec for France , we have very very very much different , if you stay near Montreal most of the poeple will speak french and english.
    If you go into more rural place in Quebec , you will find alot of ignorant poeple , but don't mistake them for bad people , they are just not used to see different ethnicity.
    My main language is not english , feel free to send me a PM if i made errors that bother you , i shall try to correct it next time!
    www.Joethejoe.weebly.com

This thread reminded me of this old commercial. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bpj1zgyfScM . Yep, I'm Canadian

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Forfax View Post
    Indeed , don't mistake Quebec for France , we have very very very much different , if you stay near Montreal most of the poeple will speak french and english.
    If you go into more rural place in Quebec , you will find alot of ignorant poeple , but don't mistake them for bad people , they are just not used to see different ethnicity.
    I wonder how much different Quebec is to Louisiana(which also was colonized by the french), though French is rarely spoken here now(Louisiana). Though they used them until they forced schools to teach English in schools.
    Time...line? Time isn't made out of lines. It is made out of circles. That is why clocks are round. ~ Caboose

Any Canadian accent I've seen portrayed on TV is either a Norwester accent from Northwestern Ontario, or a Quebec accent, from Quebec.

10+ Year Old Account
    Don't forget to roll up the rim to win.

10+ Year Old Account
    3:Bullshit. I know a bevy of Canadians who say aboot from Alberta. They generally don't realize they're doing it unless you point it out to them though.
    5: Only Americans who are clueless about international travel do this. If you're just respectful and not a douchebag, people won't care that you're American, and you may even improve some opinions. If you're an asshole, they won't care if you're Canadian or American. I've been all over the world (23 countries on 6 continents) and have never had an issue due to my nationality. Well there was the one owner of a restaurant in Paris who ranted for 20 minutes in French about the US, but it wasn't directed at me so much as it was at Bush and the US Government. He didn't think I understood him, and my Parisian friends I was with were super embarrassed at the man's behavior.

I actually considered this on my first time traveling internationally alone. I was in Prague in 2007 and George W. Bush also happened to be in town. That's the only time I've ever considered trying to pretend I wasn't American, but I decided not to, and I'm glad. No one gave me any crap for being American, and I didn't have to feel dishonest.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by xinjun View Post
    (American .. or perhaps for more accuracy I should say Californian)
    Funny how the Californian accent became the "American Accent." Benefits of owning the movie and much of the TV industries I guess.
    Last edited by Reeve; 2014-03-25 at 01:28 PM.
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

I'm from Texas and visited an ex in Winnipeg. I stood out like a dick in a birthday cake. People were pretty friendly though.

15+ Year Old Account
    Dont try to make out with the Mountie's horses. Only swedes are allowed to do that, a weird addition to a trade agreement between our two countries.
    But soon after Mr Xi secured a third term, Apple released a new version of the feature in China, limiting its scope. Now Chinese users of iPhones and other Apple devices are restricted to a 10-minute window when receiving files from people who are not listed as a contact. After 10 minutes, users can only receive files from contacts.
    Apple did not explain why the update was first introduced in China, but over the years, the tech giant has been criticised for appeasing Beijing.

Quote Originally Posted by apepi View Post
    I wonder how much different Quebec is to Louisiana(which also was colonized by the french), though French is rarely spoken here now(Louisiana). Though they used them until they forced schools to teach English in schools.
    Most of USA was under french colonisation back in the 1600 , until they lost it to england , i think Quebec is the only real french territory in North america , i believe 70% of it citizen speak french and canada as french and english as their national language.
    My main language is not english , feel free to send me a PM if i made errors that bother you , i shall try to correct it next time!
    www.Joethejoe.weebly.com