Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ...
    Deleted
    Las cucarachas entran, pero no pueden salir?

Deleted
    I don't think it's right to forbid them speaking Spanish, but if don't see anything wrong with asking them to speak English (to the best of their ability) in class.

Quote Originally Posted by lockedout View Post
    A principal who allegedly prohibited students from speaking Spanish will lose her job, the Texas press reports.

Administrators voted Monday night to discontinue a job contract for Amy Lacey, principal of Hempstead Middle School, who had been on paid administrative leave since December after reportedly using the intercom to tell students that speaking Spanish is forbidden on school grounds.

Others supported Lacey’s decision to ban the language from the school’s grounds, fearing that Spanish-speakers may use the language to make fun of students who couldn’t understand what they were saying.

“I support the principal,” parent Jaime Cavendar said, according to KHOU. “I really believe she did the right thing. My children don’t know if they’re being talked about or being made fun of.”

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/0...n_4993253.html

Was she right or wrong in your opinion?
    I agree with the bold, however... Who cares? What you don't know won't hurt you, and it's extremely disrespectful.. As a figure such as a principal to say something like that over the intercom :x.

Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    If the principle said that only english would be spoken in classrooms (and that didn't negatively impact educational quality too greatly) I'd be fine with that.

One school is not California, as Satimy claimed. Nor was it done "in defense of diversity". It was done to avoid violence.

So the government should tell them what language they can speak because it annoys you? That's beyond entitled.
    So what you're saying is that if Spanish speaking students were threatened with violence, then it would make sense to ban spanish?

Quote Originally Posted by morislayer View Post
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Languages_of_Texas

"Texas does not have an official language; nevertheless, English (specifically, American English) is the language used for legislation, regulations, executive orders, treaties, education, federal court rulings, and all other official pronouncements."

They, the children attending school for purposes of education, should be speaking English. That is all
    Dudo mucho que alguien está diciendo "usar español para la enseñanza en el aula".

Si los niños quieren hablar entre ellos en español, ellos tienen todos los derechos para hacerlo.

Quote Originally Posted by supertony51 View Post
    So what you're saying is that if Spanish speaking students were threatened with violence, then it would make sense to ban spanish?
    My sarcasm detection is a bit off right now...

...?

Quote Originally Posted by Masark View Post
    Then why aren't you typing this in Navajo or something?

Or when your American and go to any other nation that doesn't speak English and expect someone at shops/bar/wherever to speak English.
    Last edited by usiris; 2014-03-22 at 03:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by supertony51 View Post
    I'm saying if the school thought that speaking Spanish was going to lead go violence they'd have grounds to try to ban it. I'm not saying i think that would be a good course if action.

- - - Updated - - -

And if your kid lives in south Texas and can't pick up enough Spanish to know he's being made fun of the problem is your kid is stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post

One school is not California, as Satimy claimed. Nor was it done "in defense of diversity". It was done to avoid violence.

You might get assaulted by some latinos if you wear an american flag tshirt on cinco de mayo so you're not allowed is the message that school sent as far as I am concerned.

Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    This is really easy.

She was wrong. And racist.

Especially because this was in the town of Hempstead, just a little North of Houston, and the school population was 55% Hispanic. Learning Spanish to better serve the student body should be a no-brainer. Even if they were a minority group in school, it'd be racist, but here, it's beyond ridiculous.
    Just because the school is 55% Hispanic doesn't mean they have 55% Spanish speakers.
    Last edited by Suporex; 2014-03-23 at 01:58 AM.

Of course people can speak whatever language they like everywhere.
    On the other side, people also have the right to beat up those who show their disrespect by talking in foreign language behind their backs. That is a normal way of establishing the mutual respect and the social stability.

Quote Originally Posted by lockedout View Post
    A principal who allegedly prohibited students from speaking Spanish will lose her job, the Texas press reports.

Administrators voted Monday night to discontinue a job contract for Amy Lacey, principal of Hempstead Middle School, who had been on paid administrative leave since December after reportedly using the intercom to tell students that speaking Spanish is forbidden on school grounds.

Others supported Lacey’s decision to ban the language from the school’s grounds, fearing that Spanish-speakers may use the language to make fun of students who couldn’t understand what they were saying.

“I support the principal,” parent Jaime Cavendar said, according to KHOU. “I really believe she did the right thing. My children don’t know if they’re being talked about or being made fun of.”

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/0...n_4993253.html

Was she right or wrong in your opinion?
    This reminds me of the deaf people that gets angry at people laughing around them because they think they laugh at them.
    Laughing should be forbidden.
    Everyone has so much to say
    They talk talk talk their lives away

Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    This is really easy.

She was wrong. And racist.

Especially because this was in the town of Hempstead, just a little North of Houston, and the school population was 55% Hispanic. Learning Spanish to better serve the student body should be a no-brainer. Even if they were a minority group in school, it'd be racist, but here, it's beyond ridiculous.

How the fuck is it racist to say people should talk english when near/with people that only speak english, isn't it more racist to refuse to talk the language of the country then?.

10+ Year Old Account
    Born: Syracuse, NY; Currently live: Raleigh, NC
    Quote Originally Posted by Arkenaw View Post
    Then why are you on this forum since it is English only? It seems you disagree strongly with this mindset. Wanting to provide a fair environment for every child is not xenophobic, intolerant or ignorant. Not every child might have access to learning Spanish and if they can't then they will feel left out or afraid their peers are speaking ill of them with absolutely no way to defend themselves. I know for a fact ESL is provided free in public schools here, so it's not a question of the other children not being able to learn English, and how many people live in the USA that can't speak English or don't eventually learn anyways? Despite what anyone else wants to think, English is the primary language in the states even without it being official.
    This is a privately run forum. The school is a publicly funded and governmet run entity. Those alone make them different. Almost every school in the USA offers French and Spanish. Asking someone to refrain from using a language that makes them of a different culture is narrow minded. It's like telling someone they can't eat pasta and sauce because it might offend someone with a tomato or gluten allergy.