Tax return 2014 build

I am in the process of planning a build to take place in the next month or so, I have ran AMD systems throughout most of my gaming life and wanted to switch it up and tryout an Intel based build this time around.

Here is my current parts list: pcpartpicker.com/p/3dC4c.

I am running on a 900-1000 USD budget atm, obviously I would like to save money where possible but am willing to spend where needed, if anyone has suggestions that could save me money with this build I am all ears.

Currently I play D3, Titanfall, WOW(occasionally), and I will be playing Wildstar heavily when it releases, I would like to play at max settings on a single 1920 x 1080 monitor possibly stepping up to dual monitors. I do not need an OS, and or keyboard, mouse, etc...

Also if anyone has monitor suggestions I will be in the market for a matched pair sometime this year as well.
    Last edited by Bloodgrin; 2014-03-21 at 04:31 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    The build looks solid, few things I would change, also knocked the price a bit:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($219.00 @ Amazon)
    CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($29.99 @ NCIX US)
    Motherboard: ASRock Z87 Pro3 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($94.99 @ Newegg)
    Memory: A-Data XPG V1.0 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($61.99 @ Newegg)
    Storage: Crucial M500 120GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($69.99 @ SuperBiiz)
    Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($57.98 @ OutletPC)
    Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 760 2GB Video Card ($249.99 @ Micro Center)
    Case: Antec GX500 ATX Mid Tower Case ($34.99 @ Newegg)
    Power Supply: Antec Neo Eco 520W 80+ Certified ATX Power Supply ($44.99 @ Newegg)
    Total: $863.91
    (Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
    (Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-03-21 02:16 EDT-0400)
    PM me weird stuff :3

Suggested changes made, by chance now that I think about it could you suggest similar psu that is modular? I am a neat freak when it comes to cables on the build, and in your opinion is the case I have selected going to provide adequate cooling and airflow?

This psu adequate? pcpartpicker.com/part/antec-power-supply-hcg620m.
    Last edited by Bloodgrin; 2014-03-21 at 01:00 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Those go for a much higher price
    Cheapest fully modular (cheapest and also great, duh)
    http://pcpartpicker.com/part/evga-po...ly-120pg0650gr

Semi modular
    http://pcpartpicker.com/part/antec-power-supply-hcg620m

Well this build has sort of taken a turn towards throwing out the budget and going all out, the kicker is I will be building two matching rigs one for my wife and one for myself.

New parts list: pcpartpicker.com/p/3fKVv.

I am in need of new monitors as well can anyone give me a recommendation on 25" monitors, the goal is to run dual monitors for both rigs. Lastly is the 280x a better choice than its nvidia counterpart?

Sorry about the link I still cannot post them.

- - - Updated - - -

One last thing, I know that build is missing a cpu cooler, because I am on the fence about trying a custom water cooler setup. Always wanted to try it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Not sure I would go for that small case :/
    As for GPU, it depends what games you will play, some run better on nVidia and some on ATI. If you are interested in future titles, ATI has this new Mantle API, that makes games run smoother with less FPS drops also increases FPS compared to DX. It's still in early development and only one game that supports it is BF4, not sure if Thief supports it yet. But a lot of developers are taking Mantle up, as well as engine developers are joining in, you can read more from my sig link for Radeon.

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($189.99 @ Micro Center)
    CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($29.99 @ NCIX US)
    Thermal Compound: Arctic Cooling MX4 4g Thermal Paste ($6.32 @ OutletPC)
    Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z87M-D3H 1.0 Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($99.49 @ Amazon)
    Memory: A-Data XPG V1.0 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($67.99 @ Newegg)
    Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($59.24 @ Amazon)
    Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 770 2GB Video Card ($319.99 @ Amazon)
    Case: BitFenix Prodigy M Arctic White MicroATX Mini Tower Case ($89.99 @ Amazon)
    Power Supply: Antec High Current Gamer 620W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($79.99 @ Amazon)
    Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 (OEM) (64-bit) ($89.98 @ OutletPC)
    Case Fan: BitFenix Spectre PWM 56.1 CFM 140mm Fan ($15.99 @ SuperBiiz)
    Total: $1118.95
    (Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-03-25 12:04 EDT-0400)

Can you even mount that many 140mm fans in the case ? link Would make sure before buying that many.

Do you really need to buy a new optical drive ? You can install windows via usb stick. If you dont have an ODD you can reuse I personally wouldnt bother with it you can get by without one now.
    | Intel i5-4670k | Asus Z87-Pro | Xigmatek Dark Knight | Kingston HyperX Fury White 16GB | Sapphire R9 270x | Crucial MX300 750GB | WD 500GB Black | WD 1TB Blue | Cooler Master Haf-X | Corsair AX1200 | Dell 2412m | Ducky Shine 3 | Logitech G13 | Sennheiser HD598 | Mionix Naos 8200 |

Deleted

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($234.97 @ OutletPC)
    CPU Cooler: Corsair H60 54.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($59.99 @ Amazon)
    Motherboard: Asus Z87M-Plus Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($125.98 @ SuperBiiz)
    Memory: G.Skill Sniper Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory ($84.99 @ Newegg)
    Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($64.99 @ Newegg)
    Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 770 2GB Video Card ($319.99 @ Amazon)
    Case: Corsair 350D MicroATX Mid Tower Case ($62.00 @ Newegg)
    Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($79.99 @ Micro Center)
    Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 (OEM) (64-bit) ($89.98 @ OutletPC)
    Total: $1177.87
    (Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-03-25 12:58 EDT-0400)

This is what I'd go for. The GTX770 trades blows with the 280X, the case is impressive by all accounts, and you can overclock it out of the box.

I am going to be sticking with the Prodigy case I like the idea of a small form factor build while still having overclock options, I have researched the case and the mods available to it quite a bit over the last week, secondly I am still really considering the 280x I like the idea behind mantle, and even if it flops I will still have a more than capable card in the end.

- - - Updated - - -

One other thing I am not super keen on the motherboards suggested because I would like the option for crossfire and sli if I so choose down the road, sorry I should have specified that from the get go. And I would probably be better suited to a different case if I do choose to run dual cards I know so maybe I will give more thought to the case I just like the small form factor.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bloodgrin View Post
    I am going to be sticking with the Prodigy case I like the idea of a small form factor build while still having overclock options, I have researched the case and the mods available to it quite a bit over the last week, secondly I am still really considering the 280x I like the idea behind mantle, and even if it flops I will still have a more than capable card in the end.

- - - Updated - - -

One other thing I am not super keen on the motherboards suggested because I would like the option for crossfire and sli if I so choose down the road, sorry I should have specified that from the get go. And I would probably be better suited to a different case if I do choose to run dual cards I know so maybe I will give more thought to the case I just like the small form factor.
    Then go for Z87-A http://pcpartpicker.com/part/asus-motherboard-z87a

- - - Updated - - -

Coin mining has made the 280x overpriced (MSRP is $299) and often out of stock. The 280x is a fine card but thats why I suggested the 770. Feel free to pick either one.

If you choose the 280x the gigabyte board I suggest will support crossfire but if you want to go with 770 Sli switch to this Asrock board for Sli support its about $20 more though
    | Intel i5-4670k | Asus Z87-Pro | Xigmatek Dark Knight | Kingston HyperX Fury White 16GB | Sapphire R9 270x | Crucial MX300 750GB | WD 500GB Black | WD 1TB Blue | Cooler Master Haf-X | Corsair AX1200 | Dell 2412m | Ducky Shine 3 | Logitech G13 | Sennheiser HD598 | Mionix Naos 8200 |

Deleted
    If you want an XFire/SLI compatible motherboard in the mATX format, then you could do worse than This one.

10+ Year Old Account
    Also if anyone has monitor suggestions I will be in the market for a matched pair sometime this year as well.
    I am in need of new monitors as well can anyone give me a recommendation on 25" monitors, the goal is to run dual monitors for both rigs.
    I take it you're still looking for a monitor? I know your overall budget, but did you want the monitors budget separate? the decent 25" monitors are above 200 USD >.<
    Grandmaster Tidestout
    <Stand Tall>US-Stormrage