Prot warrior analysis!

So i've been told I take waaaaaaaay too much damage than I should.
    If anyone could look over logs and tell me where I could improve that would be AWESOME!

I'll be watching this post and adding information if needed.

Edit: apparently I need to post more to be able to post links..

warcraftlogs .com/reports/F9bDmfx6p4gvRBt1#fight=27

us.battle .net/wow/en/character/blackrock/Trufflie/simple

If you want to improve your damage, you should change from Avatar to Bloodbath.

Now looking at your logs:

Why the hell would you not use your rage? You waste over 50% of your rage on some fights. You have to change this asap.

Wasting so much rage means less survivability (lower uptime on shieldblock, less barriers) and/or less damage by using some non ultimatum heroic strikes. As your healers tell you that you take too much damage, it would be better to increase your shieldblock and barrier usage.

An other thing which might explain their claim is that you don't seem to be using your cooldowns. They are there to be used

-Change from evening out dodge and parry to stacking parry. This will improve benefit from hold the line.

-On most fights, use your rage on keeping shield block up and fill in with barrier when that's on CD or if you need an extra mitigation boost. If you're bleeding away most of your rage and not using it, that's why you're taking too much damage.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    You seem to have two problems.
    First of, your active mitigation lacks in both, usage itself and timing. Just to be clear: Active mitigation is since MoP THE way for ALL tanks to lower their damage taken SIGNIFICANTLY. Everything revolves around building essources (be it rage or holy power) and spending it on active mitigation. Everything else, like damage, comes after.
    We have two kinds of active mitigation: Shieldblock for blockable damage, Shieldbarrier for magical and/or unblockable damage. A nice fight to use both is the iron Juggernaut. You should be able to generate enough rage not to have a full 60 rage Barrier going for each of his Ignite Armors, you should also have a Shieldblock running in between. Also, espeically with Glyph of unending rage, smart rage management should allow you to have a full to almost full 60 rage barrier going for each single bomb if you are not tanking. Warriors are due to their mobility predestined to solve that task. Looking at your Juggernaut kill you used lousy three times :/
    Using our mitigation smartly is about planning and knowing the encounter. Let me give you an example: Juggernaut. You just received your third stack of ignite armor (which was greatly mitigated by a well-times Shieldbarrier of course ) and now the other tank taunts. What do do now?
    a) Use the remaining time of your vengeance and riposte to burst out as much damage as possible or
    b) Pool rage for your bomb duty.
    Yes. Its b. With your glyph you should be able to fill even an empty rage bar up to 120 until the bombs spawn. What to do now?
    a) CHAAARGE the first bomb and click it
    b) Use Shieldblock, hit the boss once more and run to the first bomb and click it
    c) heroic leap to the first bomb and click it
    B again. The rage generated through charge would greatly be wasted. Due to our mobility we have plenty of time to get to all bombs. usually you hit Shieldbarrier (which will last for 6 seconds since you are not taking damage atm), hit the boss once more with slam or revenge to egnerate some of the rage you just spent on barrier, run to the first bomb, click it. midair, you hit the second 60 rage barrier, charge the second bomb, to generate some rage, click it. heroic leap to the last bomb midair (or intervene some raidmember next to it) use battleshout if ready, click Shieldbarrier with the remaining rage and click the third bomb. Congrats. You sucessfully have mitigated most of the incoming damage.
    Please be aware, that normal modes and even heroic modes allow some room for errors. Also be aware, that all these decisions are made in a relatively short time. The problem is, that good usage of active mitigation requires this decision-making at all encounters. Do I refresh my shieldblock at Malkorok if his arcing smash comes in 2 seconds? NOPE cause 4 of the 6 seconds of shieldblock would be wasted, since he turns away from me and doesn´t even hit me. And so forth.

Your second problem, is that you seem to regard your cooldowns still as oh-shit-buttons. They aren´t. Unless you dont know of any specific high-damage ability or phase, you will weave them in as you deem them usefull. Especially your low cd abilities like demo shout should be used more often. Just, like with the mitigation, don´waste them. A shieldwall 3 seconds before phase 2 at juggernauts is not only unnecessairy, it´s also wasted.

Lastly, avatar is NOT your go-to talent (pick BB and macro it with DR) and Second Wind is bad. Plain as that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Cailan Ebonheart View Post
    I've done nothing wrong. I'm not the one with the problem its everyone else that has a problem with me.
    Quote Originally Posted by MilesMcStyles View Post
    I don't care that other people don't play the content that I enjoy.

HI!
    Thanks for your quick replies!
    First, I DO normally run Bloodbath, but recently changed to avatar for some reason, and forgot to change back i guess ^_^
    as far as the jug fight, I was using barrier as soon as it expired, not really sure why it says i only used it 3 times.. xD
    Also on Thok, I try to keep barrier as priority, as its a LOT better (imo) than block there.
    I'll try to get more logs later

Swap to Enraged Regen over 2nd Wind. As a tank, you should never be low enough for 2nd Wind to matter.
    Last edited by Teye; 2014-03-21 at 08:24 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Teye View Post
    Swap to Enraged Regen over 2nd Wind. As a tank, you should never be low enough for 2nd Wind to matter.
    i find that warriors got enough cds to warant going second wind tbh, its passive its there and when you need it it ticks 3% up of your life.

The argument `you should never be that low ` is in invalid because you DO get sometimes below that and pushing enraged regen wil maybe be just too late , you do get healed up pretty fast tho aqnd second wind could help that with a 3% health tick.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Von Bosch View Post
    i find that warriors got enough cds to warant going second wind tbh, its passive its there and when you need it it ticks 3% up of your life.

The argument `you should never be that low ` is in invalid because you DO get sometimes below that and pushing enraged regen wil maybe be just too late , you do get healed up pretty fast tho aqnd second wind could help that with a 3% health tick.
    Just calculate how many seconds you would have to be under the 35% mark to make second wind as strong as ONE enraged regeneration. That´s 7 seconds if ER is without being enraged, 13 if enraged (which you will always be if you macro berserkerrage into it). If you spend more then 13 seconds in a fight below the 35% mark, your team has bigger problems anyway.
    Now be aware, that ER is a 1 minute cooldown. As soon as you drop low, not only healers will panic and spam you with heals, you are able to hit ER yourself as well. Pick second wind only if you are unable to track your own health.

@ trufflie: You used ShieldBLOCK only three times. ShieldBARRIER seems fine. But with only three Shieldblocks your glyph of heavy repurcussion is useless.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Cailan Ebonheart View Post
    I've done nothing wrong. I'm not the one with the problem its everyone else that has a problem with me.
    Quote Originally Posted by MilesMcStyles View Post
    I don't care that other people don't play the content that I enjoy.

Quote Originally Posted by Von Bosch View Post

With 1.1m (probably more) health raid buffed, 3% is only 33k. I'd much rather the oh shit cooldown of ER to give me 20% health and another 20% over time, where 20% is 220k.

Hey trufflie, so i'm looking at your malkorok log, i don't have time to look at them all I'm afraid, but i thought I'd look at a single target fight with decent tank damage. Here's a few things you can improve;

First things first, your up time on shield block is terrible, 19.4% on Malkorok. Shield block can realistically be up 60% of the time, it should be your priority when it comes to spending rage, that's basically prot warrior 101, some major improvements can be had here.

The logs say (Ive only just transitioned to warcraft logs so bare with me) that you wasted 653 rage and add 30 on top of that because you used heroic strike once without an ultimatum proc. So 683 rage, that's 11 shield blocks or 11 full shield barriers. Barriers on 10 normal Malkorok would most likely be overkill with the ancient shield and all but you know what i mean! Don't forget with the heavy repercussions glyph that shield blocking increases dps as well.

As someone mentioned above i wouldn't advise using second wind, although on malkorok it can be pretty swaggy if you're below 35% and it ticks untill blood rage, but enraged regeneration is just too good to pass up from a tanking perspective.

Onto cooldown usage, you didn't use Shield wall, last stand or demoralizing shout once in the particular kill I'm looking at (I'm 90% sure of this, but i might be retarded when it comes to using warcraft logs). That's obviously really bad, if you're being told your taking too much damage and aren't using your cool downs that's obviously major reason why. In general you should be using your cooldowns to prevent/smooth incoming damage for your healers. So on high stacks of fatal strike, execute on Nazgrim etc

Hope my advice helps, good luck!
    Last edited by Dean94; 2014-03-23 at 01:35 PM. Reason: I'm a spagetti lord

I thought enraged regen was 5% instant, and 5% more as a HoT (10% and 10% if enraged). Now people are saying its 40% total? I've been using impending victory because of shorter CD for 20% HP on demand, regardless of enrage.

Quote Originally Posted by Ssateneth View Post
    I thought enraged regen was 5% instant, and 5% more as a HoT (10% and 10% if enraged). Now people are saying its 40% total? I've been using impending victory because of shorter CD for 20% HP on demand, regardless of enrage.
    Was buffed with 5.4

Impending costs rage. Enraged Regen is better.

Quote Originally Posted by Ssateneth View Post
    read tooltips.

It was buffed from 10/10 to 20/20.