Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Kathranis View Post

On the flipside, the Icon of Gilneas, which was also created for Cataclysm, has the old Gilneas icon.
    If I'm not mistaken that is the Worgen race crest yes? maybe the other is meant for the military or something.

10+ Year Old Account
    I think thats the worgan flag, not the gilnean. That would make more sense since the worgans are in control of the actual city atm.

Quote Originally Posted by Kathranis View Post

On the flipside, the Icon of Gilneas, which was also created for Cataclysm, has the old Gilneas icon.

Perhaps the two symbols have distinct meanings.
    When I first saw this thread, I didn't think much of it. It wouldn't have been surprising for Blizzard to redesign or have completely forgotten about this design from Warcraft II. But then you have the racial icon, which the Gilneans have clearly bothered to update post-Worgen. It seems weird that they'd not use such a classic crest if Blizzard was still using it for them.

I like the theory about a connection to the battleground. A lot of battlegrounds have associated tabards. It wouldn't be hard to imagine that the current flag was recycled from some old plans. The Forsaken invaders using Scourge icons heavily implies there were old plans that weren't all finished.

Do we know what the current Gilneas flag represents? It kinda feels like the city to me. The city is fairly circular, you've got the three spires of the iconic cathedral in the middle, and the line splitting it resembles the bridge bisecting the city from the cathedral.

On a side note, the symbol from the flag really reminds me of the clan symbols from Legacy of Kain, especially Rahab:

Deleted
    They use the worgen flag because they're now worgen?
    Same as forsaken have their own flag instead of using the lordaeron/alliance.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by kraner View Post
    They use the worgen flag because they're now worgen?
    Same as forsaken have their own flag instead of using the lordaeron/alliance.
    The difference is that the Forsaken have gone through a far larger change than the Worgen.

The Forsaken have underwent a complete cultural shift. The line of Menethil was broken, and they were killed by their Crown Prince. However, it's not just the resentment to the Menethil line that's a huge cultural shift, their queen isn't from Lordaeron, nor was she formerly a Human. Their religious beliefs have changed. They've been shunned, and have shunned their old alliances, and have joined the other geopolitical superpower. Their values are far different, now that they've been resurrected.

Literally EVERYTHING about the Forsaken changed.

The Worgen on the other hand:

Are still ruled by the Greymane line (Genn specifically, too). Haven't underwent a cultural transformation, they still worship the same, they still have the same values, the same leader, the same allies, etc.

Nothing's changed except for the fact that Genn lost his spine and isn't an interesting character anymore.

Overall there's no reason to change their flag, simply because they're now "cursed", their culture is identical to the way it was "pre-curse". Thank God that I'm not a Worgen fan, the flag thing has bugged me since the tabard was released; If I were a Worgen fan I would be constantly angry with this.

10+ Year Old Account
    I only know one thing:

That THIS is the true symbol of the Kingdom of Gilneas, representing the dynastic crest of the Greymane family and that THIS is an apocryphal and false symbol that represents nothing at all, ie the typical improvised invention that makes Blizzard when they have no idea of ​​the lore of their games...

The Unstoppable Force
    15+ Year Old Account
    Where Thrall and the Horde needs me to be
    Quote Originally Posted by Northem View Post
    This only proves the inefficiency, stupidity and carelessness of Blizzard, since they not even know the lore of their franchises.

It's outrageous the contempt with which Blizzard treats the Alliance ...

A picture is worth a thousand words:

You know what's outrageous? The fact that you are incapable of understanding that it's Blizzard's game and franchise, not yours. What they do matters, what you think of it, does not.

- - - Updated - - -

I only know one thing:

That THIS is the true symbol of the Kingdom of Gilneas, representing the dynastic crest of the Greymane family and that THIS is an apocryphal and false symbol that represents nothing at all, ie the typical improvised invention that makes Blizzard when they have no idea of ​​the lore of their games...
    I only know one thing:

Stop the crazy semi-RP nonsense, and get some fresh air.

Amazing sig, done by mighty Lokann

This only proves the inefficiency, stupidity and carelessness of Blizzard, since they not even know the lore of their franchises.

It's outrageous the contempt with which Blizzard treats the Alliance ...

A picture is worth a thousand words:

Oh please, its not like Stormwind is being raided on atm...

I only know one thing:

You are unreasonable, things change, this symbol could have very well been born throughout the civil war for example.

15+ Year Old Account
    That flag is clearly not a rebel/worgen flag, because even when the Gilnean player starts to play the game we can see the flag on the opening cinematic. so it's not the worgen flag or the rebel flag because at that time Gilneas was under control of Gilnean troops and Worgen were not showing any sort of intelligent behavior.

putting the logo aside, the flag itself looks more sci-fi rather than old and medieval. (art-wise) mainly because of the glow around the flag IMO.

Cities always have independent flags. I can find you some.

Montreal (Representing Gilneas City) :
    not the same as the quebec province (Gilneas as a kingdom) :
    Or the Canadian flag (Representing the Alliance ) :

Note, that they are not the same exact flag. Or at all. Thanks for reading.
    Call me Cassandra

Another weird thing; during the Beta, this was the Gilneas banner:

You can see the resemblance, only the shield symbol has been replaced with the three claw marks.

Who cares Gilneas is dead and the only ones who fawn over it now is just mangy rabid Man Dogs that would've been shot in the streets like in the good ole days of Gilneas.

In all seriousness though im not sure what the beef is here flags change all the time and the old Gilneas flag had nothing to do with the worgen cause they were human back when that flag was created.

The new flag embraces what the people of Gilneas are now and that's a bunch of mangy rabid Man dogs that should be shot in the streets like in the good ole days of Gilneas LOL

10+ Year Old Account
    Where was the top flag in the OP found? In a WoW game file somewhere? From beta?
    By Blizzard Entertainment:
    Part of the reason is that Battlegrounds are like ducks.
    My Nintendo FC is 2208-5726-4303.

Deleted
    Blizzards game and they have the license to change, even if its bad and doesn't make sense.

Perhaps ask in a Q&A sessions for a lore reason towards the change? I'm sure there's one.

It's because the symbol needed to be symmetrical so they could be mirrored on tabards and suchlike, just as it is with every other racial symbol! *flies away*

10+ Year Old Account
    I only know one thing:

Cities and countries can have multiple symbols representing them:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...tional_symbols
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_S..._United_States
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flag_of_the_United_States
    http://bensguide.gpo.gov/3-5/symbols/

I guess the USA is just pissing on all the Lore established by the Founding Fathers?

Quote Originally Posted by Dragon2K View Post
    It's because the symbol needed to be symmetrical so they could be mirrored on tabards and suchlike, just as it is with every other racial symbol! *flies away*
    Come on, you can't come here and kill the conversation with a real world answer like that.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragon2K View Post
    So they trash lore for the sake of laziness? C'mon Blizz step it up.