Page 1 of 5
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Let's have a discussion about petless hunter

So, ever since MoP I've been hearing a lot of complaints about hunter pets and how people wished that Blizzard would give hunters the option to forgo a pet and roll solo. While I respect this opinion, I feel it complete ruins the feeling of the hunter class.

Hunters are a pet class. Not just a pet class though, we are THE pet class. The only class who has to tame their pet, choose its skin, and name it. I've been playing a hunter since the beginning and the reason I chose the class was because of the bond that the hunter shared with their pet. Now I'm not an RPer and I will agree that the bond has definitely left with the removal of happiness, the tame beast quest, and pet food but we are still the premier pet class.

So, why do people want to get rid of their pet? Most people find it to be annoying because pets can bug out on certain fights and their AI tends to be somewhat wonky at times. Instead of choosing to get rid of our pets I think we should pressure Blizz into improving the AI of pets and putting more thought into their fights as to whether they will bug pets out. There are 4 classes in WoW with pets currently so I think it is a large enough issue to warrant dev time.

I also want to add that I don't have a problem with the petless talent as an option. I just don't want it to become the best talent period. I still enjoy having my pet around and while I am willing to dismiss him for fights where pet AI is stupid, I don't want to be a petless hunter.

The "petless talent" in its original design actually enhances pets for BM. Assuming they keep the specs balanced, it will actually make the other specs shine MORE at what they do as well. BM will be more pet damage focused, surv will thrive on multi-dotting, and Marksman's reverse executes and high-damage crits will be utterly devastating. I don't think anyone should be afraid of the talent being the best for MM and SV because that means that MM and SV do more of what they already do great.

In terms of raid design, hunters are really backed into a corner having 3 "pet specs". Sure a raid leader can just leave a hunter to dps on heroic garrosh, but what if you have a 10 man raid and need someone dpsing engineers with 100% of their dps? Lone wolf is really meant to allow hunters to fill a more diverse role in damage dealing.

10+ Year Old Account
    A new "Ranger" class would be ideal for this, A ranger would be to a hunter as mage is to a warlock.

Quote Originally Posted by manicwrath View Post
    A new "Ranger" class would be ideal for this, A ranger would be to a hunter as mage is to a warlock.
    thatd be outright silly. Itd make more sense to go the druid route and give hunters a 4th spec.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hiricine View Post
    thatd be outright silly. Itd make more sense to go the druid route and give hunters a 4th spec.
    Why would it be silly? People have wanted a ranger/demon hunter class for a long time. Why not have, a class, not sure on a name, but have the three specs be, demon hunter(mail agi, with two one hand weapons.) this is the Melee hunter, with awesome flavor and lore, with dark spells.
    Ranger(mail agi and bow) mainly Petless hunter, idea to have a spell or active be to switch your weapon into knives with stats based on bow.
    Dark ranger (mail spell power) also a Petless hunter, more focus on using spells.

Basically, hunter meets rogue meets warlock.

Quote Originally Posted by Finchy91 View Post
    Why would it be silly? People have wanted a ranger/demon hunter class for a long time. Why not have, a class, not sure on a name, but have the three specs be, demon hunter(mail agi, with two one hand weapons.) this is the Melee hunter, with awesome flavor and lore, with dark spells.
    Ranger(mail agi and bow) mainly Petless hunter, idea to have a spell or active be to switch your weapon into knives with stats based on bow.
    Dark ranger (mail spell power) also a Petless hunter, more focus on using spells.

Just ... no.

Petless hunter IMO is quite silly, but at the same time, it's what a lot of people want. It's a good move by Blizzard to give the players what they want lol. Even though from a lore perspective, it definitely suits the ranger type more than hunter. It would be a better idea to give hunters the 4th spec though.
    1st May 2013-->1st April 2014
    105lb-->166lb
    Bench/Squat/Deadlift 1RMs - 20kg/20kg/40kg-->100kg/162.5kg/210kg

Running geneswests 5/3/1

Quote Originally Posted by Finchy91 View Post

u know, u should roll a shaman. it perfectly matches the 1st and 3rd spec u just mentioned!

hunters r great at what they r. i love my pet. its one part of my dps i don't have to worry about with a bit of control.

Quote Originally Posted by Shootandkill View Post
    So, ever since MoP I've been hearing a lot of complaints about hunter pets and how people wished that Blizzard would give hunters the option to forgo a pet and roll solo. While I respect this opinion, I feel it complete ruins the feeling of the hunter class.

Hunters are a pet class. Not just a pet class though, we are THE pet class. The only class who has to tame their pet, choose its skin, and name it. I've been playing a hunter since the beginning and the reason I chose the class was because of the bond that the hunter shared with their pet. Now I'm not an RPer and I will agree that the bond has definitely left with the removal of happiness, the tame beast quest, and pet food but we are still the premier pet class.

So, why do people want to get rid of their pet? Most people find it to be annoying because pets can bug out on certain fights and their AI tends to be somewhat wonky at times. Instead of choosing to get rid of our pets I think we should pressure Blizz into improving the AI of pets and putting more thought into their fights as to whether they will bug pets out. There are 4 classes in WoW with pets currently so I think it is a large enough issue to warrant dev time.

I also want to add that I don't have a problem with the petless talent as an option. I just don't want it to become the best talent period. I still enjoy having my pet around and while I am willing to dismiss him for fights where pet AI is stupid, I don't want to be a petless hunter.

The big issue I've had with pets are; pet pathing, dying to aoe, wasting GCD on mend pet, calling back my pet to name a few. Granted over the years many of these have become a none issue so what do I really not like about my pet now? Probably just losing aggressive stance and having to call back in pvp. Pets have become a dot, that's all I see them as. A dot that requires absurd amount of maintenance.

I didnt roll my hunter to get a pet. I rolled a hunter because of warcraft 3's huntresses. The pet's were cool leveling with, never cool to raid with. I always wanted to be a ranger in game, this talent does what I have always wanted from the class without adding a new one. Let BM keep the perks of a pet I say.

edit: people have been complaining about hunter pets since inception, not just MOP. This has been a dream for me and many other hunters since vanilla.

They could just rename hunter to ranger and be done with it. No need to create a new class based around the same gameplay.

For me it's important that the other 2 talents (where you keep your pet) are best for PvP and non-Raid content. Reason being that in those situations you get to really experience your pet. In raids however, you can barely see the thing most of the time as it's buried in the melee scrum. As such I really don't mind Petless spec being best for MM/SV in raids.

I really like this talent. In TBC I often went without my pet to AV battleground to play a ranger with my Nightelf. We didnt have camo back then, but we did have shadow melt on a 30 sec CD. I loved being able to hide and ambush.

Quote Originally Posted by Nightspear View Post
    I really like this talent. In TBC I often went without my pet to AV battleground to play a ranger with my Nightelf. We didnt have camo back then, but we did have shadow melt on a 30 sec CD. I loved being able to hide and ambush.
    You should have tamed a cat with prowl and boom, you and pet are stealthed Aimed Shotting!!

Since someone mentioned a 4th spec, and if something like that happened for some odd reason, I would like it to be a tank spec. Tired of DPS queues.

Deleted
    I remember the days back in twenty-thirteen and a boss Named Megaera. Me, playing BM for the frequent burst aspect that Bestial Wraith gives. The Final Arcane Head was down and time to finish the Frost Head an collect some loot I blew my CD's and started spamming Kill Command, however it didn't go on its cooldown. Weird I thought and went on with casting my Dire Beast. To my surprise I saw that this son of a b' ran towards the final head turned 180 degrees and back to where the Arcane Head spawns. I turned my camera and to my surprise I saw two wolves hiding behind a rock in the water.

Until they stop making bosses that completely can screw up the pet AI or they fix the pet AI altogether they will have to give us the option to play without our pets.
    Last edited by mmocaf5f36e0d9; 2014-03-07 at 09:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by morislayer View Post
    The big issue I've had with pets are; pet pathing, dying to aoe, wasting GCD on mend pet, calling back my pet to name a few. Granted over the years many of these have become a none issue so what do I really not like about my pet now? Probably just losing aggressive stance and having to call back in pvp. Pets have become a dot, that's all I see them as. A dot that requires absurd amount of maintenance.

I didnt roll my hunter to get a pet. I rolled a hunter because of warcraft 3's huntresses. The pet's were cool leveling with, never cool to raid with. I always wanted to be a ranger in game, this talent does what I have always wanted from the class without adding a new one. Let BM keep the perks of a pet I say.

edit: people have been complaining about hunter pets since inception, not just MOP. This has been a dream for me and many other hunters since vanilla.
    Pets take 90% less damage from AoE attacks if they even get hit at all by them how is your pet dying?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by urgebear View Post
    I remember the days back in twenty-thirteen and a boss Named Megaera. Me, playing BM for the frequent burst aspect that Bestial Wraith gives. The Final Arcane Head was down and time to finish the Frost Head an collect some loot I blew my CD's and started spamming Kill Command, however it didn't go on its cooldown. Weird I thought and went on with casting my Dire Beast. To my surprise I saw that this son of a b' ran towards the final head turned 180 degrees and back to where the Arcane Head spawns. I turned my camera and to my surprise I saw two wolves hiding behind a rock in the water.

Until someone makes bosses that completely can screw up the pet AI or they fix the pet AI altogether they will have to give us the option to play without our pets.
    I have never had a problem with pet pathing and I never had a problem with my pet on Magaera

- - - Updated - - -

Instead of a Hunter without pets why doesn't Blizz just make a Warrrior Spec that can use range weapons?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Fang7986 View Post
    I have never had a problem with pet pathing and I never had a problem with my pet on Magaera
    Then you are lucky. This frequently happens on Spoils of Pandaria in SoO.

It's Blizzards job to balance it accordingly so that it is in fact a playstyle or encounter-influenced choice, and so that the numbers don't support it being the end-all talent choice. It has been a long requested option and Blizzard clearly doesn't see it as a violation of the hunter class so that argument that everyone used goes out the window. If they balance it correctly, it will in fact be just an option, those who cling to their pets can still have them and those that want to get rid of them can do so. I imagine, if it was going to be unbalanced, that chances are pretty high it will be unbalanced in the direction of, as far as min-maxing goes, having a pet still being notably superior (unless an encounter is specifically undesirable for pets). I'm hoping they can hit the mark where on a standard pet friendly fight, you can still choose to go petless and be competitive, but admittedly it's not going to be easy for them to get it just right. And if they have to guess at it and be conservative with it, they're likely going to stick with the norm and skew it towards having a pet.

Will be interested to see how it shakes out.
    Main - Spirál - Hunter

Deleted
    I love the idea of petless Hunters. Honestly, I'd love the idea of removing all pets altogether (except short duration ones), but that's not going to happen.
    Regardless, as the OP mentions it allows the Hunter's other specs to emphasize what they've been about for years without being crippled by being a pet class.

Edit: Making another class or giving a class another spec to essentially get a petless Hunter.. Big no to that, it's never going to happen that blatantly and badly.

Quote Originally Posted by get big or die mirin View Post
    Just ... no.

Petless hunter IMO is quite silly, but at the same time, it's what a lot of people want. It's a good move by Blizzard to give the players what they want lol. Even though from a lore perspective, it definitely suits the ranger type more than hunter. It would be a better idea to give hunters the 4th spec though.
    I would love to ditch my pet everywhere except while soloing.

When I heard about a talent in WoD to let a hunter play with a pet, that's a +1 for me.

Back in beta before Vanilla release, when I first seen hunters were a pet class and not the archer from WC3 I was quite disappointed. They are in a much better place now but pets used to really suck.

The only reason I picked Hunter as a main nine years ago was because it was the only archer in the game. I'm not opposed to ditching pets at all as long as it doesn't harm the class for anyone else in the process.