Page 1 of 10
... LastLast

triage healing just won't work

Firstly, I LOVE the idea of triage healing. I understand why the devs are fawning over the idea. It would be even better if we still had spell ranks, so that players could tweak with efficiency eve more.

but it just is not practical with the player base we're working with. I know that I am capable of doing it, but the average player is not very good at this game and probably won't even understand that the healing model has changed. I think blizzard overestimates how the average player understands changes in the game. anything short of huge obvious raid warnings that say 'stop topping everyone off all the time' means that millions of players will be frustrated by this new model.

I think it can work as long as the triage impact is not too severe to start. Any drastic change causes the player base to freak out (like the beginning of Cata). They need to implement baby steps.

The Lightbringer
    Blizzard loves to walk on that rake repeatedly and compare how it feels to get hit on the head each time.
    I like the idea of triage healing myself, but you need to balance healers much better for it. Also, I think it places a too high of a burden on the healers rather than tanks and especially DPSers.

BC/LK raider ('07-'10)

As long as they balance the lower difficulties correctly it shouldn't be a problem. Its basically very similar to active mitigation in MoP. Nerf lower difficulties so its not required to know what's going on, harder difficulties it is though.

LFR can just be nerfed into nothingness.

Normal is the only one I'd be worried.

Heroic/mythic the players should be good enough to adapt. Just like active mitigation tanks.

Supposedly mana won't be an issue so, no reason to worry until we test it.

I'd rather have some spamming of heals than have to be smart about every little thing I do and coordinate with all the healers to make sure we're not ooming ourselves on overheals. General Vezax was an interesting fight in Wrath, but it would be a nightmare to have every fight be painfully mana tight and stressful. Also. Triage healing with fail just like it did in Cata and Blizz will go back to the drawing board, change up healing the next expansion, and then go back to triage the expansion after that. Because that's how Blizzard's development and balancing works.
    Look! Words!

It's not gonna make a difference. It will only feel different at the beginning and then when you get yourself a nice set of gear it will be the same as every expansion regardless of mechanichs or "player skill".

It's been like this since the start of the game when we started MC in blues and thought Lucifron is the hardest thing ever only to see a raid full of warlocks and mages with one tank and a couple of healers kill Ragnaros one year later under the first sons timer.

Smart healing was introduced so Blizzard could go a bit more wild with the encounters while not worrying of driving people away from healing too much because healing has never been a popular sport. It also helped with healers getting a chance of actually looking at the boss for some time instead of filling in the square helath bars. Now that most of us are geared smart healing is nothing but an in-game Clique where you just press a certain button and the whole raid gets a lot of green numbers above their heads.

Triage healing is better if you really want to experience being a healer but it won't make a difference 6 months into the expansion.

Stood in the Fire
    one of the blue replies was actually to some guy crying it would be too hard

..... jesus christ
    Why are Dungeons and Scenarios mash-fests that take less time than the actual queue or wait list? What a waste of content design...

I don't mind it that much (don't prefer it), but I'm certain they will change it once the qq's start pouring in (like in Cata).

Meh. Maybe I'm rare in this opinion but I'm optimistic that this will work out fairly well. If their encounter design intention for this expansion is "constant low damage with occasional single-to-few target medium damage that requires spot healing" as opposed to, said directly not just an assumption, "sudden waves of high damage with enormous spikes that need emergency healing all the time with non-stop expensive aoe healing" then it'll be a huge boon to healer stress relief over stress building.
    Gone until the next expansion.

Quote Originally Posted by beardedcandy View Post
    Firstly, I LOVE the idea of triage healing. I understand why the devs are fawning over the idea. It would be even better if we still had spell ranks, so that players could tweak with efficiency eve more.

but it just is not practical with the player base we're working with. I know that I am capable of doing it, but the average player is not very good at this game and probably won't even understand that the healing model has changed. I think blizzard overestimates how the average player understands changes in the game. anything short of huge obvious raid warnings that say 'stop topping everyone off all the time' means that millions of players will be frustrated by this new model.
    It worked in the past, not sure why it wouldn't work now. It's a good change, and it should not even be considered to make it easier.

Skill and target heal selecting should win over mindless and automated spamming.

I've heard promises of fixing the healing for years now. I don't have any reason to believe that they will get it right this time.

Yeah, no, triage healing is the only way it is fun. If you're just fighting against time and damage the entire thing becomes trivial. I guess I'm in the minority, but I find healing to be the most fun when you have to make smart decisions.
    If you realize that all things change, there is nothing you will try to hold on to. If you are not afraid of dying, there is nothing you cannot achieve.
    -Lao Tzu --- 안 여래
    Quote Originally Posted by Zehnn View Post
    What are you, the citation police?

Ghostcrawler had a better sense of how fail the playerbase really are, and I have a feeling he was forced into implementing the Cata healing model and then forced to defend it.

Watcher can't seem to understand how frustrating the game is for people when it's tuned to be so difficult and has punitive mechanics like "if you try to heal someone you will run out of mana, you have to let everyone almost die and then throw only saving heals".

Quote Originally Posted by stgeorge78 View Post
    Watcher can't seem to understand how frustrating the game is for people when it's tuned to be so difficult and has punitive mechanics like "if you try to heal someone you will run out of mana, you have to let everyone almost die and then throw only saving heals".
    Yeah, that sounds no fun to me....especially if they plan to do encounters with high damage spikes.

Quote Originally Posted by yjmark View Post
    I think it can work as long as the triage impact is not too severe to start. Any drastic change causes the player base to freak out (like the beginning of Cata). They need to implement baby steps.
    I see the beginning of Cata argument a lot but I never really understood what the argument is supposed to be. For the most part the toolkits did not change all that much; the biggest impact was difference in mana regen between end of WotLK and beginning of Cata and that's solely a gear issue.

anything will be better then MoP healing nothing more then mindless smart healing
    Last edited by fernotao; 2014-03-22 at 04:25 PM.

I am still worried about disc healing. I like the do damage to heal someone
    http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte.../Zanjin/simple horde main
    http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...yhearts/simple alliance main
    http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...2#post25856782
    Coming soon Expansion ideas: Age of N'zoth, Assault on Agrus, and Age of Extinction(aka the true end time)

Quote Originally Posted by Darkvoltinx View Post
    I am still worried about disc healing. I like the do damage to heal someone
    Then go Shadow and pop Vampiric Embrace. Healers never should have been able to be psuedo damage dealers.

Don't make game around average players, stick to your concept. Sadly 99% of companies cater to casuals.

I don't see why it is different from today. Instead of enrage timers we would have oom. Same shit, different role.