Moonkin dotting explained

Hello all!

I play a balance druid and I came across this dotting explanation by Fountainx and I have to admit - I don't get it.
    I can't post any links I'm afraid, but just google "Moonkin dotting explanation" and it's the first result from Fountainx's twice channel
    Sure, he admits in the description that he was in a hurry doing it and that it's meant for a friend but I'll be damned if we can't all benefit from it. I'll admit that I'm probably doing alot of things wrong when it comes to dotting and re-dotting consider SoO's trinkets and other buffs (NG, engineering proc, etc..)

I've been trying to improve my dps as I think that according to my ilvl (which is 568) my performance is pretty mediocre. Maybe I'll start a different thread on that matter but first I'd like to address the dotting issue.

So, can anyone please, pretty please write down the proper way of thinking when it comes to dot/re-dot. Obviously the answer should take all the appropriate buffs under consideration (trinkets as well.. Bindings and toxic - as those are the two most druids use these days).

Thanks in advance to whoever picks up on this important issue!

Deleted
    Link to the video: http://www.twitch.tv/fountainx/c/3785040

If anyone knows what addon he uses to track dot duration, NG and Shooting Stars I'd like to know!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by officerlahey View Post
    needtoknow
    This or Quartz.
    They can be set up to look pretty much the same.
    "The pen is mightier than the sword.. and considerably easier to write with."

o my. Yeah the addon is needtoknow

Basically, at this gear level, you're capable of maintaining near 100% nature's grace uptime. You want to be casting as much as possible because every time you re-dot early, you're losing casts over the duration of the fight. The damage per global of an eclipse dot is essentially equal to that of a starsurge, although starsurge has the ability to extend dots and therefore extend NG uptime because you redot less.

What this means is that snapshotting a dot with an intellect proc isn't actually much better than using that intellect proc on a starsurge, compared to a warlock whose agony does significantly more than their filler. The main benefit is probably the crit % you get from these intellect procs, resulting in slightly more starsurges.

A lot of it is just comfort. Once you play the class enough and understand where your damage comes from you'll be more comfortable with nature's grace and redotting. It's not just a black and white list of priorities all the time.

Another great way to learn is to watch people. My good buddy and personal hero Snigelen of method streams @ twitch.tv/snigelen. One of the biggest hurdles is understanding a UI that is different from yours because you don't make the same connections with procs/buffs/durations. I hope that helps a bit though. I don't really have the energy or incentive to make anything too well thought out. I think Evrellia has a moonkin guide out there which didn't seem too bad, although it's fairly basic.

GL

Deleted
    I only redot when I'm in an Eclipse state with NG up and the dots are likely to expire before I reach the next Eclipse. At this stage in the game we cycle through Eclipses so fast it just seems like wasted GCD's to apply a buffed dot that will be replaced a few seconds after.

Pretty sure haste procs/buffs will be your most valueable as well if you're ever in a situation where a dot and a proc are about to fall off. I would bet a lot of people overvalue the int procs from trinkets compared to the 30% haste from meta gem.

so.. the most value you get out of a dot is by applying/refreshing it during a meta proc and/or a NG buff? doing so while trinkets proc is just.. considered lucky?

What this means is that snapshotting a dot with an intellect proc isn't actually much better than using that intellect proc on a starsurge, compared to a warlock whose agony does significantly more than their filler. The main benefit is probably the crit % you get from these intellect procs, resulting in slightly more starsurges.

HoTs and DoTs dynamically scale from intellect.
    HoTs and DoTs snapshot from mastery, crit, and haste.

The point is kind of still the same tho I suppose. If you get a temp buff with secondary stat, and the dot will snapshot it, but the effect is probably not justifiable compared to the lost global.
    ^ I agree with this.

Quote Originally Posted by Bzl View Post

HoTs and DoTs dynamically scale from intellect.
    HoTs and DoTs snapshot from mastery, crit, and haste.

The point is kind of still the same tho I suppose. If you get a temp buff with secondary stat, and the dot will snapshot it, but the effect is probably not justifiable compared to the lost global.
    No...

Unless you're talking about something else, but you quoted me so I'm confused.