Parry Dimishing Return.

Hi DK Community,

I am building a parry spec for my DK to do Proving Grounds 30waves endless.

I am not a very good DK, dont really know how to play it so I have been checking and lots of DKs who build parry spec get far into Proving Grounds with not much trouble.

My question is how diminishing return works for Parry these days.

Can someone give me a quick easy explanation?

Thanks.

Generally, you can just ignore the diminishing returns. Dodging an attack does not have the same end result as parrying an attack (even though both avoid the damage entirely).

Parrying an attack generates RP from Scent of Blood, but so does dodge. Where parry differs from dodge is that when you parry an attack, your next auto-attack happens sooner ("parry-haste"), meaning that parrying an attack leads also to more Scent of Blood procs from auto-attacks. Thus, parry is better than dodge despite the diminishing returns.

If you still care about diminishing returns after that, then parry is diminshed from two sources: your strength (specifically, not from base strength) and your parry rating, and both of these contribute to the same diminishing returns curve. That is, stacking strength makes the diminishing effect on parrying rating harsher, and vice versa.

Parry = BaseParry + (1 / Cp + k / (((GearStrength - BaseStrength) / q) + (GearParryRating / conversion))) ^ (-1) + BaseStrength / q
    where:
    BaseParry = 3.00
    Cp = 237.18614
    k = 0.956
    q = 951.158596
    conversion = 885
    [ref: http://www.sacredduty.net/2013/08/08...nts-all-tanks/]

Note that these coefficients are slightly off, but it will give you a fairly close value to your actual parry.

[edit: For clarity's sake, your chance to parry has no effect on your chance to dodge. Dodge is governed by a completely independent equation.]
    Last edited by SSHA778; 2014-03-23 at 01:22 AM.
    "I have it all simmed."
    Euliat

If I have 20% parry and 10% dodge, do I have 30% avoidance? Or the 2 dont stack at all?

Saying that my max avoidance is 20% whether is dodge or parry?

The other thing is that I DID NOT understand what diminishing return means for parry.... Maybe I am slow or just too bad when it comes to avoidance math.
    Last edited by Xeh.-; 2014-03-23 at 01:50 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Xeh.- View Post
    If I have 20% parry and 10% dodge, do I have 30% avoidance? Or the 2 dont stack at all?
    That's the correct concept, but there's also a base chance to be missed, and mobs have expertise dependent on their levels. Base miss is 5%, so with your example your avoidance would be 20% + 10% + 5% = 35%.

To get your avoidance against a certain level mob, take your avoidance (calculated above) and subtract it by this value:
    L90: 0%
    L91: 4.5%
    L92: 9%
    L93: 12%

So if you had 35% avoidance, against a L92 mob you would have 35% - 9% = 26% avoidance because of the mob's hit/expertise.

As for the definition of diminishing returns, it means that 1 parry rating doesn't provide the same amount of parry% regardless of your parry%. 1 parry rating provides less parry% than the previous 1 parry rating (that is, the value of parry has diminished).

Because the formula is rather annoying to use, I'll just use arbitrary numbers (but you would arrive at the same conceptual result using the formula).

Let's say you have 500 parry rating. If you gain an additional 500 parry rating (so now you have 1000), your chance to parry increases by +0.50% (again, these numbers are arbitrary). If you add another 500 parry rating, you do not get an additional +0.50% chance to parry, but rather you would receive something like +0.49% chance to parry. If you add another 500 parry rating, you get even less, like +0.48% chance to parry. Every 500 parry rating is giving you less parry rating than the previous 500 points--thus, the value of parry is diminishing (becoming smaller).

The reason for these diminishing returns are to keep the value of parry from growing exponentially. So if the diminishing returns didn't exist, if you had a 10% chance to parry, and you gained 1% parry, you would reduce the amount of hits you take by 1.11%. If you had a 98% chance to parry and you gained 1% parry, you would reduce the amount of hits you take by 50% with the same amount of parry rating (again, if diminishing returns didn't exist).

[edit: Really, you shouldn't care about diminishing returns. They don't make that big of a difference realistically, and you don't need any knowledge of them to play well.]
    Last edited by SSHA778; 2014-03-23 at 02:21 AM.
    "I have it all simmed."
    Euliat

Well sir, that was an amazing explanation.

Thanks a lot, Hopefully I get so much damn parry that proving grounds become somewhat a walking in the park.