Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

class abilities which determine the skill cap

which are the most important abilities to master in arena for each class?

shaman: wind shear
    rogue: ?
    warlock: ?
    warrior: spell reflect
    death knight: ?
    druid: ?
    hunter: ?
    monk: healing sphere
    priest: mass dispell
    mage: ?
    paladin: ?

can you fill in the blanks?
    Last edited by mmoc3a779c5103; 2014-03-23 at 03:38 AM.

Tempted to say Death Grip for Death Knights, just because you can't get onto ranged/healers for jack if you screw it up.

Quote Originally Posted by Eats Compost View Post
    Tempted to say Death Grip for Death Knights, just because you can't get onto ranged/healers for jack if you screw it up.
    Dk is definitely Dark Simulacrum. However the most important aspect of dk is just having insane damage and pressure, master that for sure. Dark Sim is what separates dks after they have mastered the art of retarded damage output and not dying/positioning.

Shaman I would say grounding over windshear to be honest but both are important. This thread is kind of weird its rarely 1 ability that people need to master, like MD of priest isn't all that important; MD your healer out of cc as shadow or bubbles/blocks as healer or shadow, not much "mastering" there. I would say psy-scream or pysfiend as priest since landing your fears is crucial and its often not easy with people training you.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gandrake View Post
    I like how when people complain about getting killed by kill shot which can have a 43 yard range, no resource cost, and can be used again if it doesn't kill and everyone says WELL, HEY, YOU KNOW, IT IS CALLED KILL SHOT
    but when a warrior does it, clearly the ability's name is "useless wet noodle piece of shit strike with an exorbitant rage cost that should do the same damage as MS"

The Unstoppable Force Super Kami Dende's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Rogue I would say Gouge is the most skillful.

So many rogues I see having to use Cheapshot or Blind or Vanish to get into Stealth.

Using a Gouge to slip away is pretty win.

Also getting a gouge off when you are about to get throttled is good aswell, for one thing I love when a DK Deathgrips me and gouge as soon as I land in his face.

Easy 4 secs to get away and re-enter.

Pallys I would say hammer of fail justice, but most of them get fist of fail justice.

Mages I would say counterspell, that ability needs to be nerfed.. or all of the silences in the game that is.

Quote Originally Posted by Rinnegan View Post
    which are the most important abilities to master in arena for each class?

shaman: wind shear
    rogue: ?
    warlock: ?
    warrior: spell reflect
    death knight: ?
    druid: ?
    hunter: scatter/trap... seems easy but is insanely hard with pets/quick trapping
    monk: healing sphere
    priest: mass dispell
    mage: ?
    paladin: ?

can you fill in the blanks?
    scatter/trap... seems easy but is insanely hard with pets/quick trapping

Quote Originally Posted by Dephloc View Post
    scatter/trap... seems easy but is insanely hard with pets/quick trapping
    1) Tell warrior to storm bolt healer.
    2) Trap off the stun.
    3) Scatter -> Wyvern someone else.
    4) Besides a 3 second stun from your war you cc 2 people for 11 seconds from 40 yards away instant cast.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gandrake View Post
    I like how when people complain about getting killed by kill shot which can have a 43 yard range, no resource cost, and can be used again if it doesn't kill and everyone says WELL, HEY, YOU KNOW, IT IS CALLED KILL SHOT
    but when a warrior does it, clearly the ability's name is "useless wet noodle piece of shit strike with an exorbitant rage cost that should do the same damage as MS"

For rogues i would say the stealth ability. Re-opening for rogue is huge damage but is quite hard in arena.

Rogues:
    Dance--It not only opens up the burst chain, but it allows for blind to be followed up by sap whilst dancing--which is pretty amazing.
    Shiv--Shiv mind-numbing or shiv paralytic change the way you cc casters/melee, as they can sometimes be considered a type of cc on their own. Shiv paralytic can be essential for keeping someone in a bomb, and shiv mind numbing might as well be an interrupt on its own with as much slowing as that does.

Death Knights--lichborn/Deathcoil, Blood Tap
    Priests--Lifegrip, mass dispel
    Warlocks/Monks: Teleport

10+ Year Old Account
    Warrior: Mortal Strike, Slam, Colossus Smash, Overpower
    Death Knight: Icy Touch, Plague Strike, Blood Boil, Necrotic Strike

Those abilities make up 90% of those tunnel bot classes. If you can do that and surround yourself with good team mates that play classes that can carry your class, you'll make high Duelist or even Gladiator.

I dont know how its today, when i played rogue redirect always felt like something big to me...i just never really managed to use it wisely. I often ended up stuck somewhere, so i just used it for lolburst or stun on current target:P

Deleted
    So many rogues I see having to use Cheapshot or Blind or Vanish to get into Stealth.
    yeah, because gouge sucks. untalented it costs 45 energy and breaks on dot-damage + it can be dodged or parried. it's unreliable and not worth the energy in most situations.
    Last edited by mmocde0e53a346; 2014-03-23 at 11:25 AM.

Don't think you can just pick one ability. It's the entire toolkit that makes it.

10+ Year Old Account
    For a ret paladin i would say using Hand of sacrifice properly makes one stand out from others, being able to remove magic effects on others i really good for a dps but i rarely see rets these days in arena, and few of them seem to not use their hands to the fullest

Quote Originally Posted by Hand Banana View Post
    Shaman I would say grounding over windshear to be honest but both are important.
    agreed. another thing that I find takes a lot of discipline is to purge spam while all my abilities are lit up and ready to be used. I wanna use all those other abilities but I know purging you naked will make you easier to kill.

Deleted
    monk: para from behind, spinning fire blossom skillshot, landing stuns.

Hunter I think is determined by the movement more than 1 ability. The "noob" insult on the hunter forums is "back pedaling". It's such an important skill to be able to jump and turn at whatever you're shooting, so you can be running in any direction and still do full DPS, even to someone directly behind you (which strafing can't do).

Being able to use Disengage well (for defense, for offense, for jumping over gaps, etc) is part of that, so I'd pick that ability to represent "kiting" as a whole for this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Demsi View Post
    For a ret paladin i would say using Hand of sacrifice properly makes one stand out from others, being able to remove magic effects on others i really good for a dps but i rarely see rets these days in arena, and few of them seem to not use their hands to the fullest
    I agree, usually if i played a ret pally i would use Hand of sacrifice on my 2's partner to break them out of a trap or a full duration CC that they cannot trinket or get out of.
    Last edited by Beefkow; 2014-03-23 at 03:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Cailan Ebonheart View Post
    Warrior: Mortal Strike, Slam, Colossus Smash, Overpower
    Death Knight: Icy Touch, Plague Strike, Blood Boil, Necrotic Strike

Those abilities make up 90% of those tunnel bot classes. If you can do that and surround yourself with good team mates that play classes that can carry your class, you'll make high Duelist or even Gladiator.
    Why do you hate those classes so much? Every thread I have seen you post in, you inevitably fall back to how bad warriors/DKs are and that anyone that plays them is stupid/bad. Don't you get tired of saying the same thing over and over?

The Unstoppable Force Super Kami Dende's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by BonesDeLarge View Post
    yeah, because gouge sucks. untalented it costs 45 energy and breaks on dot-damage + it can be dodged or parried. it's unreliable and not worth the energy in most situations.
    Thus why it is a move that needs skill.

Since using it in the right situation can lead to some pretty cool games.

Using it with dots on a target just means you are a terrible player.