Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Baronthefirst View Post
    Not for what they are asking. I refuse to give into the Blizzard greed. They should feel lucky if I even pick it up for $20 on sale. But hell if you got more money then you know what to do with go for it. I was a big Blizzard fan. I am not anymore. Let down after let down.
    Blizzard greed? Wat? You got loot 2.0 for free if anything.
    #TeamLegion #UnderEarthofAzerothexpansion plz #Arathor4Alliance #TeamNoBlueHorde

Warrior-Magi

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Aeluron Lightsong View Post
    Don't touch him. He's very sensitive right now. Let him get it out of his system.

Quote Originally Posted by miffy23 View Post
    More WoW-like? How so? Loot is still entirely RNG, it's just that you get RNG tailored a bit more in your favour. Diablo 2 had a player-based economy to make up for bad RNG - without the AH, D3 needs this loot system to make character progression a thing.
    WoW-like as in it is tailored to give quicker progression and shower you with the higher tier of loot. Even after the nerf and introduction of Monster Power it took me two runs through Inferno before I had a full set of decent yellows to take down Diablo. After a single run of Torment 1 post-2.0 the same character has only the head-slot left then they're fully equipped in orange gear with about 5 fairly decent alternatives either in storage, sharded or given to followers

You still have your very, very long-term goals. I'm building my DH atm, Paragon 146 now and there are several legendaries that I want to make my perfect build - there's no telling when I will ever get them, and if they'll have good rolls.
    My long term goals were to get all character classes to clear Inferno and it wasn't anything I expected to finish, just something that could be chipped away at for years to come. Getting a full set of legendaries for at least one of my characters was a similar thing, I didn't expect to get them all but it I could pop on for a few hours and maybe get a little closer.

Now the similar goals of completing Torment and getting a full set of legendaries has been made much easier and is something I expect to complete within a relatively short amount of time. My Barbarian was lvl 31 when the patch hit; now I he is lvl 60 and half his gear is orange after completing Acts 1 and 2.

The core game-play is still just as enjoyable, if not more so with changes to the damage and health ratio of monsters, but I'm not impressed with being given all the shiny things so early on (of the 3 Demon Hunter cloaks I thought looked interesting all 3 dropped on a single play-through). In carrot-and-stick terms, the carrot was never really needed because the stick was a very enjoyable back-scratcher. Sure I enjoyed the occasional bit of carrot every now and then, and some of them were very tasty, but having piles of carrot just handed to me on a plate doesn't make the experience much better and if anything it makes carrots less interesting.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dhrizzle View Post
    WoW-like as in it is tailored to give quicker progression and shower you with the higher tier of loot. Even after the nerf and introduction of Monster Power it took me two runs through Inferno before I had a full set of decent yellows to take down Diablo. After a single run of Torment 1 post-2.0 the same character has only the head-slot left then they're fully equipped in orange gear with about 5 fairly decent alternatives either in storage, sharded or given to followers

My long term goals were to get all character classes to clear Inferno and it wasn't anything I expected to finish, just something that could be chipped away at for years to come. Getting a full set of legendaries for at least one of my characters was a similar thing, I didn't expect to get them all but it I could pop on for a few hours and maybe get a little closer.

Now the similar goals of completing Torment and getting a full set of legendaries has been made much easier and is something I expect to complete within a relatively short amount of time. My Barbarian was lvl 31 when the patch hit; now I he is lvl 60 and half his gear is orange after completing Acts 1 and 2.

The core game-play is still just as enjoyable, if not more so with changes to the damage and health ratio of monsters, but I'm not impressed with being given all the shiny things so early on (of the 3 Demon Hunter cloaks I thought looked interesting all 3 dropped on a single play-through). In carrot-and-stick terms, the carrot was never really needed because the stick was a very enjoyable back-scratcher. Sure I enjoyed the occasional bit of carrot every now and then, and some of them were very tasty, but having piles of carrot just handed to me on a plate doesn't make the experience much better and if anything it makes carrots less interesting.
    If you want to go that route, try looking at it this way: you get a bowl of carrots handed to you at the start, you enjoy em, and then someone points at a wide open field full of tilled soil. "Go and dig, there may be a lot more hidden there".

I can tell you that the legendary shower stops quite quickly, there seem to be some hidden boni built into the game right now. When you log a character that you haven't played in a while, you'll get legendaries quite quickly - also you get a guaranteed one on each act boss before lvl 60. That stops afterwards.

Try doing Torment 2, 3, 4. I'm quite well-geared and can barely solo T4, let's not speak of higher tiers yet. Even the ubergeared from pre 2.0 are having issues with that. The longterm investment IS there, trust me. The carrots are out there, you don't get piles of them handed to you after a while anymore.

Ya because they fudged it up the first time. I next to never play D3. It is a shadow of what the original D1 and D2 where. Maybe I am just living in the past but I think D3 sucks and again I feel like I should be paid to even give RoS a chance.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Baronthefirst View Post
    Ya because they fudged it up the first time. I next to never play D3. It is a shadow of what the original D1 and D2 where. Maybe I am just living in the past but I think D3 sucks and again I feel like I should be paid to even give RoS a chance.
    You do understand that D2 was terrible until it's first expansion right?

I haven't played it yet, but I still bought RoS simply because I've heard that loot 2.0 made the game what it should have been in the first place. I don't do this often because if you can't get a game right on the first go with such a huge amount of development time put into it, it fails imo. Going to let the loot 2.0 feel like part of the expansion for me to make it seem better than it really is. That and I love Crusader classes.

I think the issue here is that despite the game being obviously broken at launch, despite them throwing out the head of the original team, despite the fact that many of their fans (including me) have already dumped $60 on the game only to be met with dissatisfaction, they've sectioned off the new game modes and want you to pay an additional $40 to play the actually fully redesigned game instead of admitting they did anything wrong. Not only that, they advertise the expansion to you at absolutely every turn, with ridiculous ads that say things like GET YOUR PRE-ORDER LOOT NOW, like they're begging you to buy the game now instead of waiting until you can actually inform yourself as a consumer (which is bog standard behavior for any exploitative publisher, lol Activision). Essentially, during D3's entire arc, Blizzard has shown little concern for anything other than the profitability of their own product. Considering that there are a broad spread of alternatives in the genre that are cheaper (reminder that if you bought the original at launch, RoS will bring your grand total up to $100) and friendlier to the community as both players and customers, what argument can honestly be made for buying RoS?

10+ Year Old Account
    The play modes, the social additions, and other things added to the game plus the new act make it worthwhile for me. I play casually too but dislike being in a game where I'm forever stuck 10 levels behind everyone else. I wasn't really a fan of running the campaign over and over again and dislike even more running a 3-minute segment of the game seventy-eleven-dozen times.

I was uncertain about getting the expansion until 2.0.X released but I'm on board now. Adventure Mode and the Nephalem Rifts should take care of some of the sameness. There will likely be a few bumps on the 25th and 26th but after that it should be pretty smooth sailing. This weekend with the 100% XP bonus is, I assume, something of a load test.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Kinsky View Post
    Essentially, during D3's entire arc, Blizzard has shown little concern for anything other than the profitability of their own product.
    The entire 2.0.1 patch and everything that changed with it belies that entirely. It would have been much easier to disband the team, not redevelop the game at all and sit back to count their millions. But no, they've pretty much redesigned everything since launch for a cost of precisely zero.
    Last edited by MoanaLisa; 2014-03-23 at 07:07 PM.
    "...money's most powerful ability is to allow bad people to continue doing bad things at the expense of those who don't have it."

Quote Originally Posted by MoanaLisa View Post
    This weekend with the 100% XP bonus is, I assume, something of a load test.
    No, it's something to bring people back so they can be exposed to all the RoS advertisements and tell all their friends about the cool new patch.

10+ Year Old Account
    No, it's something to bring people back so they can be exposed to all the RoS advertisements and tell all their friends about the cool new patch.
    Could be both but you're far too jaded at this point. Honestly the new patch was given to everyone even the Non RoS folks. That's a massive improvement. Sometimes people just abandon a project if it failed. No Blizz decided to do the right thing and fix D3 up.
    Last edited by Aeluron Lightsong; 2014-03-23 at 07:18 PM.
    #TeamLegion #UnderEarthofAzerothexpansion plz #Arathor4Alliance #TeamNoBlueHorde

Warrior-Magi

Deleted
    Yes, its cheaper than a night out on the town, and you will get a lot more entertainment for your money.

Quote Originally Posted by MoanaLisa View Post
    The entire 2.0.1 patch and everything that changed with it belies that entirely. It would have been much easier to disband the team, not redevelop the game at all and sit back to count their millions. But no, they've pretty much redesigned everything since launch for a cost of precisely zero.
    Wrong, they had expansions on the product slate before the game even came out, they had to change something or the rest of the series wouldn't sell. Also it would have been bad PR, not that Activision or Blizzard cares much about that.

Quote Originally Posted by miffy23 View Post
    Diablo is a dungeon crawler - the whole point of the game is to mash through hordes of monsters and collect loot, loot and more loot. If you don't like that, you don't like the game. Don't pretend that there was some promise of some other type of "endgame" or that other games deliver more. There are literally hundreds of Diablo clones out there, including Titanquest and Path of Exile, that do EXACTLY the same.
    Well Marvel Heroes has group challenge maps and is adding raiding. I don't know if that is good for the game or the genre though because it will come with all the side effects or raiding (demands of best loot only in raiding, dps meters, classes that don't get invited because of their balancing status and so on).
    But you can do that.

Deleted
    Wrong, they had expansions on the product slate before the game even came out, they had to change something or the rest of the series wouldn't sell. Also it would have been bad PR, not that Activision or Blizzard cares much about that.
    Accusation without proof is NOT a good idea.

10+ Year Old Account
    Expansions being noted on the five-year plan are not the same thing as announcing that there will be an expansion and developing it. I think everyone expected an expansion but given the game's original reception it wouldn't have been startling to have seen them cancel it. And if they wanted to be really evil, they could have put everything in patch 2.0.X into the expansion and left vanilla like it is. None of those things are beyond imagination and many people with an axe to grind tin-hatted all of that.

I understand that hating D3 is something of an internet sport but in this case you seem to be arguing that fixing for free the rather hot mess they released 22 months ago is some bad thing. Maybe for you; not so much for others.
    "...money's most powerful ability is to allow bad people to continue doing bad things at the expense of those who don't have it."

10+ Year Old Account
    As far as i'm aware there are 2 more expansions planned, and I can't see why they wouldn't happen.

10+ Year Old Account
    You have nothing to base these accusations on. Diablo 3 sold like butter, so even your point about the game not selling doesn't even make any sense.

Get your act together. Nothing of what you said here is even remotely accurate.

10+ Year Old Account
    Actually no, D3 won a lot of recognitition for selling a lot despite the qq. Also Blizzard developed the game not Activision. So get your facts straight.

Warrior-Magi

Deleted
    Quick FYI for the savvy shoppers.

It's <£24 with another 5% off for a facebook like on cdkeys.com, and yes it's a cdkey not a disk.

Trusted site, I bought titanfall from there a few weeks ago for £25.