10+ Year Old Account

Networking Issues

We moved back to the south loop of Chicago this past February, moving our 24mbps AT&T Uverse service with us. It has been a nightmare from the start and I'm not sure what to do at this point. We've had techs come out and they claim everything is perfect; even tried a new modem/router. They've also offered less..useful advice, including telling me that I must have a "file conflict with my temporary internet files that was affecting Diablo 3". This lag affects me during raid and has killed my 60 barb and my 40 monk that I was playing with my partner. He's lost 3 HC characters this weekend to this.

^ that is inSSIDer showing the overlaps on our channel. I've tried channel 1, 7, 6, 9, 10, and 11. Many times switching channels helps but it lasts no more than a few hours at best. We'll zoom up to 10 - 12mbps a second before dropping down to this:

Our wireless point is about 20 feet away in the living room. I have noticed some issues with my signal strength dropping slightly to 4 - 2 bars, but that's not often. Both computers are affected so I don't think it's distance. It's something on our network.

I'm out of options. I don't know what else I can do to find or diagnose network issues. I'm not really a network expert. Any thoughts or suggestions?

Deleted
    Connect the computer directly and see if you still get the issues, if you don't I would get a pair of power line plugs http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/buying-ad...buying-advice/

Alot of factors change wireless signals, water pipes are really bad for it for example.
    Last edited by mmocb2e144e77d; 2014-03-23 at 10:18 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zanthos View Post
    Connect the computer directly and see if you still get the issues, if you don't I would get a pair of power line plugs http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/buying-ad...buying-advice/

Alot of factors change wireless signals, water pipes are really bad for it for example.
    We have an industrial, non-finished "loft" style apartment with piping in the ceiling and metal studs in the walls.

We just ran a few tests. We put a laptop next to the modem, about a half foot away. 3.5mbps. We plugged it into the modem (ethernet). 18.5mbps.

Deleted
    It could just be local generic interference, get some powerline adaptors, fixed.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zanthos View Post
    It could just be local generic interference, get some powerline adaptors, fixed.
    On the advice of AT&T (I know, I know...AT&T) we bought ourselves a Belkin N600 router.

Problem solved. I'm getting 17mbps (our max is 18) right now from both desktops in our office and from the laptop in the living room.