Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Not in Kansas.

I heard they're also teaching about things like witchcraft and dinosaurs.
    "You six-piece Chicken McNobody."
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH816 View Post
    You are a legend thats why.

10+ Year Old Account
    Most people who don't believe in the theory of Evolution, don't believe in it, because its never been properly explained to them
    Quote Originally Posted by Zombiebob
    I'm still waiting on someone to tell me where all these people that suddenly care about Warrior balance were during Cataclysm when they were blow up dolls with plate armor on.
    Quote Originally Posted by cutterx2202 View Post
    Stop complaining to solve your lack of ability, and start reading and practicing to gain ability. Stop trying to bring people down to your level instead of striving to raise yours.

I'd be far more concerned if they were teaching creationism than evolution.

On one end we have a thought provoking theory that suggests that due to several mechanisms of survival combined with time we naturally evolve to best suit our environment.

On the other end, we have god sharted and the universe was born.
    Dragonflight Summary, "Because friendship is magic"

10+ Year Old Account
    Where ever I want, working remote is awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jawless Jones View Post
    Most people who don't believe in the theory of Evolution, don't believe in it, because its never been properly explained to them
    I think it is more they believe whatever their religious leader tells them and just ignore anything else.

Quote Originally Posted by Nixx View Post
    If people evolved from monkeys, why are there still monkeys?
    Because we didn't. Both humans and monkeys are offshoots from a common ancestor.
    Dragonflight Summary, "Because friendship is magic"

Don't know if serious but whatevs. Because we didn't evolve from monkeys. We evolved from a common ancestor. Look at this link that Tristannarutofan posted on the last page.

Quote Originally Posted by tristannarutofan View Post
    Also this
    (basic explanation of how evolution works, or rather how it DOESNT work)
    http://www.upworthy.com/if-someone-i...s-5?c=hpstream

They teach Evolution and Creationism both! Evolution in Biology and Creationism in Religion. :-)

Where they belong.

Deleted
    Ahhh backwards Americans.

Infracted - nation bashing
    Last edited by Kasierith; 2014-03-24 at 07:41 AM.

Who else would eat all the bananas?

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    That I remember, evolution was never actually taught in any of my schools growing up(Oklahoma). There were times I remember where what was talked about came really close to covering evolution/genetics, but due to the amount of thumper parents who put their kids through school and didn't want them learning about anything that challenged their beliefs, things were always on a fine line of interpretation where the school never taught it but if you looked close enough(like barely even tried) you'd see that what was being taught was infact evolution.

That was middle school and high school however and I know quite a few laws have been thrown around in the last 6-12 years. I know for a fact it's taught in colleges around here(minus a very Christian school), but haven't heard anything about any of the others. When I went to school everything had to appease the sub 10% or so of students who did not wish to challenge their beliefs or what their parents believed in but they were too afraid to say they thought differently than them. Could even tell some of the teachers wished to go into things further, but the moment that fine line was crossed was when a student went to their parents and "suddenly" the curriculum took a sharp turn away from evolution.

Creationism however has never been flat out taught in any of my classes. Even remember kids coming forward and asking "teacher, why isn't this taught about?", just to have them shot down by the standard "because this is what the school board wants us to teach" rather than flat out say to their face that it's because it's not plausible.
    Last edited by Wilhelm137; 2014-03-24 at 06:20 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by s_bushido View Post
    Who else would eat all the bananas?
    I like bananas.

Irrefutable proof of evolution.

Quote Originally Posted by blaqkmagick View Post
    Don't know if serious but whatevs. Because we didn't evolve from monkeys. We evolved from a common ancestor. Look at this link that Tristannarutofan posted on the last page.
    AronRa puts forward the idea that, by definition, we're still monkeys now, effectively, because we're descended from primitive monkeys and it's impossible to outgrow your ancestry.

Quote Originally Posted by Waniou View Post
    AronRa puts forward the idea that, by definition, we're still monkeys now, effectively, because we're descended from primitive monkeys and it's impossible to outgrow your ancestry.
    You could argue that but I feel like when people use the argument "if we evolved from monkeys blah blah blah" it's best to diassociate humans from monkeys. If they have a hard time believing in evolution, I assume they'd have a harder time believing that we're all really monkeys.

Bananas are proof of an intelligent designer. They fit perfectly in our monkeyman hands.

It amuses me that rather than address the critical misunderstanding of evolution implied by the question I asked, they'd rather correct an ultimately unimportant detail.
    I just like bananas...these words are meaningless to me.

10+ Year Old Account
    How much it should high school students learn about evolution? The basics of evolution take about a day or two to learn and thats fine for a high school student. Those who need to know more about evolution do so in college courses.

Quote Originally Posted by Jibjabb View Post
    Back when I was in school I remember evolution being taught as if it were a factual science. With so many flaws to the theory of evolution (natural selection, missing links, fraudulent fossils, DNA etc) is it still commonly taught in schools?
    "As if it were factual science." You can't be serious. Do you know what the word flaw means?
    Natural selection of all things you listed is a huge part of evolution. The word "theory" doesn't mean "we think this exists", we can watch evolution in real time. We do watch evolution in real time. Missing links mean nothing, "fraudulent fossils?" mean nothing.
    Of course it's taught in schools, regardless of religion.

STRANGELY it is still taught in schools apparently. Actually i think few countries teach anything else. I know, it is outrageous. We all know a wizard did it.
    If you are offended by something i said, im probably at least 45% sorry about it and there is a 3% Chance it was not on purpose!

Blizzard, getting away with murder since at least 2019.

Quote Originally Posted by blaqkmagick View Post
    You could argue that but I feel like when people use the argument "if we evolved from monkeys blah blah blah" it's best to diassociate humans from monkeys. If they have a hard time believing in evolution, I assume they'd have a harder time believing that we're all really monkeys.
    This is true, but I also feel like it's important to highlight that you cannot outgrow your ancestry and it strictly is forbidden by evolution. This is why we don't expect to find a crocoduck ever.

I know! And how do they explain bananas???