Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    The Unstoppable Force Friendlyimmolation's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    The Dreadfort, or Korriban. You never know.
    Judging pve off of lfr is like judging pvp off of random bgs

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by advanta View Post
    OK, so as I'm sure the pve'rs will say, LFR sucks, which it does, massively. Join a
    good guild.

Now, I can appreciate a good guild with a great raid leader would make for a more
    positive experience. But, that's like saying working in a bank is great if your co-workers
    are fun people. However, you do it, as the content becomes familiar through repetition
    it becomes a chore, as does anything. There is no possibility of deviation from your
    core tactics/rotation, and these things take hours.

I usually complete new raids at least once. But, I can't understand how any one can do the
    same content again and again and again till autumn. Indeed, many don't, judging by
    the numbers that dropped off in dragon soul. Seriously, how do you raiders manage it?
    Well.. everything you said is correct, but that's completely fine.
    Yes, you need to find a good guild with people you can at least get along with.
    Yes, when everything is on farm it becomes a chore an boring. So what?
    By the time my guild has cleared a new raid on heroic it's usually been a couple of months since its release, so it was fun and challenging for quite some time and the next content is at least somewhere on the horizon.
    By that time we reduce our raiding to 1-2 nights a week to farm and prepare for the next content or (as it was the case with this content) farm mounts for the active people in our roster. That farming-phase is boring, I won't deny that, but it's not that time consuming anymore, the guild stays in touch until the next content is released and everybody gets his reward for clearing everything.

Right now we are indeed done and there is nothing left to do and we will finally stop raiding until the expansion pre-patch hits. So I fully agree: After the content is done, its not interesting and fun anymore. But it's not like we clear heroic in just 1 or 2 weeks.. so there is just no problem. It is challenging and entertaining for quite some time.

If you don't have the possibility to raid in a group that fits your expectations (most likely a guild) and are stuck with lfr or flex, which is usually completed very quick, I can completely understand, that you don't want to do it more than once or twice. That's just not the real deal. Real PvE isn't cleared within the first lockout and offers you something new and growing challenges for quite some time (depending on how fast you clear things ofc).

For us, SoO was pretty much dead after garrosh hc went down and we pretty much just kept farming until everybody got his mount.. cause that's part of being in a guild, too. As garrosh drops only 2 mounts per week and our roster contained about 32 people, that farming took quite some time and it was dull and boring, nobody would deny that. The dull farming after T14 and T15 heroic didn't go on for so long however, as the gaps between content-releases weren't as long and there were no mounts to grind.

Deleted
    I hate PvP
    I recently joined in to Random Battleground...oh wait
    You wanna know why i love PvE when i join in LFR there maybe is a chance that group of players to beat the big bad boss because i do the half of the raid DPS but going in to random BG no matter how good you are and how geared you are you have zero chances to won well except if you arent blood DK in WSG
    Last edited by mmoc2b5ad7a33a; 2014-05-14 at 06:31 AM.

ITT: LFR = the entirety of PvE

Bust seriously, there is much more to PvE than that.

Its an over simplification like saying "Isn't PvP just fighting 2-5 people in the same arena over and over?"

OP, I am sure you could appreciate that the difference in experience between LFR and a REAL raid team.... would be similar to Random BG vs Premade Group

Quote Originally Posted by miffy23 View Post
    OP: "STOP LIKING WHAT I DON'T LIKE".

There's really nothing to say but "tastes differ". You might as well lament as to why some people like pizza and others don't. Good grief.
    "Good grief"? He was asking what elements keep pve'rs going, and what they enjoyed so much. Did you really take it as 'stop liking what i don't like'? Good grief...

10+ Year Old Account
    I PVE because I enjoy it. I like throwing myself against whatever difficult encounters they've designed and having to work together as a team to overcome them. After that, regarding the repetitiveness, there's still plenty that keeps me interested. At first its just getting better at the encounter, and of course the carrot of loot being dangled as well. But even past that there's just the fun of trying to do better, to get better numbers, to rank higher or beat someone else in your guild or just to have fun killing stuff.

As for PVP - I've dabbled a bit but I've never been that great at it or had a big interest. I've done RBGs up to about 2k or so, and 2v2/3v3 less than that. Its just not my thing. Which is fine, I get why people don't like PVE and do like PVP, I'm just the opposite of that.

I don't really get PVP players who use the repetitive argument though - every season there are a few comps that are going to be the best because of whatever classes are OP or whatever abilities are working well together at the time, so to me it doesn't seem like once you get to the top ranks of PVP you aren't exactly going to be facing a million different combinations. Obviously with players there is more unpredictability and skill differences between players, but there's always going to be a similar approach to beating an RMP every time you face that combo. There's going to be more variety in RBGs but even then there's a lot of specs/classes which just aren't going to show up at any competitive level because they aren't that great or because other classes strengths are too good. I think that in PVP as well you'll have a ton of repetitiveness if you play for any length of time, but then again repetitiveness and grind are the backbones of MMOs.

It can get frustrating when you understand the boss perfectly, and no one else does, but you just persist in showing them how to do it and doing the best you can.

Same thing with PvP really, when you're saddled with a group of incompetents. It's why I'm glad there's more small group content like scenarios and solo stuff like brawler's now.

I mostly hate PvP because people are insanely good at mouse-twisting and jumping like drunken hozen. Maybe I don't have the million keybinds, interface mods, and weeks of practice needed to be good at it. There's no filtering system like there is in PvE where you're put up against people of the same difficulty as yourself.
    Last edited by Powerogue; 2014-05-15 at 07:44 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    Having the authority to do a thing doesn't make it just, moral, or even correct.

15+ Year Old Account
    What keeps me coming back week in week out?

1) Trying to get my team mates the loot they need / want and realizing that to keep pushing on the entire team needs gear and if it weren't for the 24 others I would not have anything.
    2) Each week is a chance to do the fight better, faster, cleaner.
    3) I compete vs myself each week ...go look at my wol and then look at those ranking and if a comparable strat is being used try and rank and or at the least do better than I did the week before.

Those are the top 3 for myself outside of the social / chilling with 24 other people to relax and have fun aspect!

Again this is Heroic raiding..I would probably be bored of PVE outside of progress raiding however.

PvP seems like that to me. PvPers generally try to tell me that "every match is different because you're playing different people" but in the end, most wins can be attributed to gear, player skill or the classes each are playing with. It really is that simple to me. I'd rather PvE because I'm playing -with- other players, not against them, as PvP usually just frustrates the hell at me when I lose - and I lose a lot.
    Signature and Avatar by maybenotquiteasheavy!

I don't get the PvE is always the same argument. So is PvP, you go into the same bgs, same goals in mind, same strategies, you go against the same classes and have strategies for how to deal with each class. I'm not saying PvP is inferior or less challenging, but it's just as samey as PvE.

Quote Originally Posted by Post View Post
    I don't get the PvE is always the same argument. So is PvP, you go into the same bgs, same goals in mind, same strategies, you go against the same classes and have strategies for how to deal with each class. I'm not saying PvP is inferior or less challenging, but it's just as samey as PvE.
    PvP isn't scripted; every single encounter is different, because it's another human who's actively trying to beat you.

Quote Originally Posted by Itisamuh View Post
    PvP isn't scripted; every single encounter is different, because it's another human who's actively trying to beat you.
    It isn't scripted, but disc priest vs warrior will always play out similarly with both people going in with the same strategies they always use against that class, so will PvE encounters. Not every one is exactly the same, there are differing variables.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Itisamuh View Post
    Its not scripted like a PVE encounter is, that's true. However, with similar skill levels you are going to run into the same kinds of situations and uses of abilities based on your class and their class, or your comp vs their comp. Its not the same as PVE since people don't always do the same things and people have different reaction times and skill, but its not exactly like every time a mage fights a warrior there are an infinite number of ways it can go. There are only a few optimal things for each class to do based on the other, which is not unlike PVE in that regard. Sure, both classes have a ton of things they could do, but most of them will end up in a very short fight for one or the other if they don't counter the others abilities correctly.

Breaking News: PvE has RNG mechanics.

More at 11.

Quote Originally Posted by Wilderness View Post
    Its not scripted like a PVE encounter is, that's true. However, with similar skill levels you are going to run into the same kinds of situations and uses of abilities based on your class and their class, or your comp vs their comp. Its not the same as PVE since people don't always do the same things and people have different reaction times and skill, but its not exactly like every time a mage fights a warrior there are an infinite number of ways it can go. There are only a few optimal things for each class to do based on the other, which is not unlike PVE in that regard. Sure, both classes have a ton of things they could do, but most of them will end up in a very short fight for one or the other if they don't counter the others abilities correctly.
    Well put. If you go watch the PvP'ers on twitch they'll call out what the other guy is going to do and then they'll do it. Same happens in SC2 and I'm sure other games. Sure you might come up against some scrub and wallop him, but that's like a PvE'er gloating over an LFR kill.

The best fights are the ones that are tuned so tightly that 25 people need to perform to 100% of their class for an extended time. It's like trying to do Sudoku while getting balls thrown at you while you're trying to cross a bridge, a la Japanese game show.

Both PvP and PvE require comparable skill at the level you are trying to perform at so it's just about which one you prefer or you can do both like many do.

It seems you don't understand because you're doing LFR and think it has some sort of relation to organised PVE. I like PVE but I dont do LFR for a good reason.
    Probably running on a Pentium 4

I have an analogy for you.

PVE Is like joining a choir, or playing in a symphony, or performing in a play. You each practice separately, you hone your skill, you play small groups, sing in your spare time, and then you come together with 40 people and practice playing together. You might practice a lot, the better your group is the less you'll probably have to practice. You might practice the same section over and over, and you might perform it quite a lot as well. You enjoyment is the mastery of your piece, working as a group to achieve something difficult that takes time and effort and expertise.

PVP is like playing a sport, it's you vs. them. The rules are generally fairly simple, your competition is the other person. You could compete singly or in a group. Each game is different, but the rules are the same every time. It's up to you to react to other people, not master the system, it's more fluid.

People enjoy both things, solo or group performance, and competition. The missing component of LFR is the practicing together and group component of shared experience. If you sat in on a symphony where half the players couldn't hit a clean note you'd want to walk out as well.

That said I've been in some LFRs where it all worked well, and honestly I run a lot of LFR. I find it fairly entertaining. Take the Megara run I did last night in lfr, two 560+ healers. The players all just stacked, and the tanks too, right in front of the heads, and we all got breathed on, at every spot, sometimes from both serpents.

250k hps from me and the druid for the fight. Two at 150k, and two at 100k. Yes, 1m hps for ToT lfr. And we beat the boss.

Now that's entertainment. The only thing more entertaining than that is watching the fountains of meat in LFR Thok. I've literally spit coffee across my screen from laughing so hard when the player turns the boss right into the stack of players, or when the person just stands there, skull on their head, giant red beam pointing at them and they just stand there....and watch as the 40m tall dino walks up and munches them.

Hi-larious.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by swissedog View Post
    I have an analogy for you.

PVE Is like joining a choir, or playing in a symphony, or performing in a play. You each practice separately, you hone your skill, you play small groups, sing in your spare time, and then you come together with 40 people and practice playing together. You might practice a lot, the better your group is the less you'll probably have to practice. You might practice the same section over and over, and you might perform it quite a lot as well. You enjoyment is the mastery of your piece, working as a group to achieve something difficult that takes time and effort and expertise.

PVP is like playing a sport, it's you vs. them. The rules are generally fairly simple, your competition is the other person. You could compete singly or in a group. Each game is different, but the rules are the same every time. It's up to you to react to other people, not master the system, it's more fluid.
    I like that analogy a lot.

For me personally heroic modes is where the fun is at. It's the feeling of accomplishment when you finally kill that boss, get that awesome piece of loot you've wanted for quite some time, seeing your dps/healing/tanking improve as you gear up and get more experience and last but definately not least, clearing out the raid-instance on highest difficulty. Doing all the previously mentioned in a guild that has fun and comfortable athmostphere makes it just that much better. I don't mind that it takes a lot of effort (preparing for raids with food buffs, potions, flasks, keeping your gear reforged, gemmed and enchanted properly etc), the reward is too good for me to resist. I guess most people want to be rewarded faster and because of this can't be arsed with organized raiding.

If you feel like you really NEED pve gear for outdoor pvp, I'd seriously suggest you to even try organized raiding in a guild that's preferably quite casual so you don't waste too much of your time which you can spend pvping instead. Give it a shot, what's there to lose?