1. #1

    564 Disc Priest who feels like I could be doing more.

    Hello,

    I play a 564 Disc Priest on The Maelstrom and I was hoping I could get a bit of advice to see if there's anything I am doing wrong.

    I did try and link my logs/profile here but sadly I haven't posted enough to do so, but if you take a look at my MMOCHAMPION profile, you'll find the links in my biography.

    I've linked to a few nights from our HC runs over the past few weeks, my gear hasn't changed much in that time. I don't feel that I'm performing badly but I'd like to know if there's anything I could be doing differently to increase my HPS output.

    I know not having the trinket from Sha in any form is a problem but I've killed it on HC/Normal/Flex every week now for quite a while so I'm not sure what else I can do about that.

    Feel free to point out anything you see on logs that can be changed to improve my performance. I'm a long time lurker on this forum so I've probably already read all of the advice out there but any advice would be appreciated. One thing that bother me in particular is that I never have 100% activity on a fight, I just don't get how that is possible as I'm certain that I'm always moving/healing.

    Thanks in advance,

    Ross.

  2. #2
    Field Marshal Darthmatty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    las vegas
    Posts
    75
    Just looked at your armory, you have a reckless in your belt.

  3. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by Darthmatty View Post
    Just looked at your armory, you have a reckless in your belt.
    Sloppy but genuine mistake. Thank you and fixed.

  4. #4
    Too much spirit, you're sacrificing mastery for crit, you should try not reforge out of mastery/crit. 8k should be enough spirit. Looking through some of the fights, Inner focus used only once on protectors and sha which is pretty bad. Your spirit shell uptime seems very very low, you used it twice on protectors, iron jugg and sha.... it's a 1 minute cd. You use halo on norushen and Sha when star is much better.

    Small things, but once you get a hold of shelling off-cd/prior to raid damage, and utilize your cd's as much as possible during a fight and choosing the best 90 talent you will see vast improvements.

    Sorry this was only brief, but that's what I noticed straight away

  5. #5
    I've dropped down to roughly 8k spirit.

    Yeah, choosing the right level 90 talents for each boss fight is something I can work on, will look to address your other points as well.

    Thanks for your feedback

  6. #6
    Hey, I hate to be one of those people, but my friend is having doubts about itemization/stats and such. Would I be wrong to say that he should drop about 2k spirit and beef up Mastery/Crit?

  7. #7
    The Lightbringer Tarien's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    3,640
    Quote Originally Posted by Rossatron View Post
    I play a 564 Disc Priest on The Maelstrom and I was hoping I could get a bit of advice to see if there's anything I am doing wrong.
    This is all just based on my own personal experience, I may or may not be wrong about some of this but it works for me.

    First, ditch Halo (forever) and get Divine Star (DS) or Cascade when you're super spread out. DS has been touted as 'the most overpowered spell ingame right now' by Blizzard, when you are grouped up it will heal the shit out of your raid doing 2x 80k heals to everyone it hits and then having something like a 75% chance to proc an aegis shield, 25% chance to double proc aegis. It's INSANE. Just remember to cast it right after Archangel for a 25% heal boost, and then again before Archangel runs out (you'll have a 3s window) where it will benefit from Archangels 25% and Evangelisms 20% heal bonuses. Insane.

    If you are spread out significantly then take Cascade, but only if you're really spread a lot of the time, if you can hit 5+ raiders with DS it's probably better to take DS.

    Next talent to change: Get Solace. It is far better mana returns than Mindbender (can provide the math if you want) even if you're not spamming on CD. In fact you can cast it as little as once every 15s and STILL be ahead of Mindbender for mana returns. But obviously try to cast on CD. This change will allow you to reforge more out of spirit and not go OOM.

    Gearing wise our trinkets aren't great, no denying that but just hold out for the Sha one when it drops nothing you can do. Also the Thok tooth trinket and the normal/hc version of your seige crafter trinkets are good 2nd trinkets. Try to get the T16 legs and replace your chest with the acid soaked robes from Thok, far better. Also any item with haste on it can and should be replaced with something that has either crit/mastery, spirit/crit or spirit/mastery (in that preferential order). Reforge every item prioritising crit, then mastery. Reforge out of haste we need precisely 0 beyond what the cloak gives, after that reforge out of spirit you'll be smiting a lot as a filler and with evangelism that's cheap to do.

    Stop spamming shields as much. It's mana intensive and should really only be done once every 12s to benefit from the free heal courtesy of Rapture, or if you're moving and there is literally nothing else to cast. You need to remember to have Archangel up much more, you have it up on average (from your raid long report) just 24% of the time, the theoretical limit is 60% (18s out of 30s) but anything over 50% is good, so you should be able to double it's uptime. Remember to maintain it always, it is a 10% crit bonus and a 25% heal bonus! That is HUGE!

    Next thing to note: You're in a ten man guild. Disc priests do not shine here as much as they do in 25 man guilds. Divine Star and to a lesser extent Cascade, our two biggest and best spells by far work best with larger amounts of targets and that is how Disc priests have amazing parses. So do not concern yourself that you aren't doing as well as some Disc priests on parses if those other priests are in a 25 man guild.

    That's all I got right now, but see how you go.
    Last edited by Tarien; 2014-03-26 at 01:17 PM.
    Playing: WoW (11/14HC), BF3
    PC: i5 4670k @ 4.4GHz // GTX 780 // 16GB DDR3 // 750GB Samsung 840 EVO // 3x 27" 1440p
    Thinking is the hardest work there is, which is probably why few engage in it. - H. Ford

  8. #8
    The thok trinket sucks for disc as it doesn't proc off absorbs and most of the healing it will cleave is our weak atonement hits. The static intellect and regen proc from DSoD is much superior to either the trinket off Nazgrim or Thok.'
    a
    If you want to give advise based on logs, at least read them write. On all the boss fights logged in that log, he has an average uptime on AA of 44%

  9. #9
    The Lightbringer Tarien's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    3,640
    Quote Originally Posted by Aparthia View Post
    The thok trinket sucks for disc as it doesn't proc off absorbs and most of the healing it will cleave is our weak atonement hits. The static intellect and regen proc from DSoD is much superior to either the trinket off Nazgrim or Thok.'
    Actually in stacking fights where you're hitting the most of a 25man raid with Divine Star I think it might be decent, but I don't have any logs (yet) to back this up. Might go look for some or create some since I got the trinket last night.

    EDIT: I google'd a bit, it seems that if there is heavy raid damage the trinket can be great, reports of upto 11% of the healing done from the trinket. But if there is little damage or the raid is spread, as low as 0.6%. I'm going to try it tonight on HC 25m Norushen.

    That said I think the DSoD int/spirit trinket from Seigecrafter is probably a better choice overall, with Thok's Tooth being an optional swap in for stacking, heavy raid damage fights.

    Quote Originally Posted by Aparthia View Post
    If you want to give advise based on logs, at least read them write. On all the boss fights logged in that log, he has an average uptime on AA of 44%
    If you want to give any advice at all I suggest you learn to read. AA is not 44% uptime at all, it's just under 24%.

    Last edited by Tarien; 2014-03-26 at 04:08 PM.
    Playing: WoW (11/14HC), BF3
    PC: i5 4670k @ 4.4GHz // GTX 780 // 16GB DDR3 // 750GB Samsung 840 EVO // 3x 27" 1440p
    Thinking is the hardest work there is, which is probably why few engage in it. - H. Ford

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •