Page 1 of 5
... LastLast

Let's "bond" players to LFD/LFR

When you queue for LFD/LFR you must post a (for example) 200 Valor bond.

If you do not complete the run, or are kicked, or leave it for any reason, you forfeit the bond.

Strangely, I think this would encourage people to stick with it.

So, what you're saying is, raise the reward for completing LFR to 200 valor? Kaching!
    Soothing Mist:"Healing them for a minor amount every 0.5 sec, until you take any other action."
    Jade Serpent Statue: "The statue will also begin casting Soothing Mist on your target. healing for 50% as much as yours. "
    [What's half of minor?]
    "Statue casts Soothing Mist at a nearby ally for toddler healing."

10+ Year Old Account
    No he's saying you pay a cover charge... and if you don't break anything you get it back.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'd be ok with that. They are getting rid of Valor I believe in WoD but I like the idea.

Make it hurt just enough where people don't want to bail at the slightest thing.
    "Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.” - General James Mattis

Right so, on the OP's actual meaning: It wouldn't stick around simply because of the potential of griefing and DCs getting you unfairly punished for events beyond your control.
    Soothing Mist:"Healing them for a minor amount every 0.5 sec, until you take any other action."
    Jade Serpent Statue: "The statue will also begin casting Soothing Mist on your target. healing for 50% as much as yours. "
    [What's half of minor?]
    "Statue casts Soothing Mist at a nearby ally for toddler healing."

Those who will have to leave for IRL reasons will leave anyway.
    Those who will leave because the group sucks will leave anyway.

You will just reduce number of people Queuing into LFR, not quitting midraid

Where is it that blizz said they are removing valor? I was under the impression that valor would stay as a means of upgrading gear to make raids easier as time progresses instead of nerfing them with patches.

Quote Originally Posted by TheWindWalker View Post
    Right so, on the OP's actual meaning: It wouldn't stick around simply because of the potential of griefing and DCs getting you unfairly punished for events beyond your control.
    Why people do that? Why people post without taking the 10 seconds needed to realize what TheWindWalker did?

Bond.....James Bond? I wonder what an LFR version of James Bond would look like? Would he afk through the bad guys monologue? Would he wipe, respawn and get a determination buff? Important questions to ask.

On topic though: No, bad idea. Mainly for it gives a group of people a chance to fuck people out of valor by getting others kicked.

Quote Originally Posted by Doomchicken View Post
    Bond.....James Bond? I wonder what an LFR version of James Bond would look like? Would he afk through the bad guys monologue? Would he wipe, respawn and get a determination buff? Important questions to ask.

On topic though: No, bad idea. Mainly for it gives a group of people a chance to fuck people out of valor by getting others kicked.
    And why would they do that, when in turn, they would most likely be kicked for being dickheads, assuming they could get a majority to go along with a kick vote, which in most cases you can't unless there is something actually plausibly kick-worthy transpiring.

You forget, the kick system has largely been fixed so that a group can't abuse it. It is unusual for someone to be kicked for a so-so reason, and pretty much impossible for someone to be kicked out of the blue, unless his name starts with the same 5 letters as some other villain in the group.

- - - Updated - - -

But, yeah, I am saying, when you queue for LFR/LFD, you are -- let's say -- wagering that you will make it to the end. If you do, you get X. If you don't, you lose 2X.

It's up to you and your fellow gamblers to make it happen.

Quote Originally Posted by Smudge View Post
    But, yeah, I am saying, when you queue for LFR/LFD, you are -- let's say -- wagering that you will make it to the end. If you do, you get X. If you don't, you lose 2X.

Sadly, gambling if forbidden by Blizz

Any action where you wager something and the result depends mostly on luck (which good/bad FLR run is, pure luck) is forbidden. - the quote on gambling is loosely cited from ToS

Sounds like a bad idea. Want to make LFR better? Make it give me loot for zoning in, and allow the bosses to be optional. It exists so people can see the content, right? I see it plenty in normal/heroic, I don't need to see it in LFR.

Regardless, it doesn't really matter what would be at stake, people would still leave because most LFR groups have about 5 good players and 20 people that can't tie their own shoes. So really, it would just be a waste of time to even join since you know you'll probably leave half the raids anyway.

Plus, as others have said, too easily abused. Join LFR with a 5 man group and just kick anyone that's bad or annoying, they lose their valor and you lose nothing. In fact you probably made the run better for everyone else.

10+ Year Old Account

If you do not complete the run, or are kicked, or leave it for any reason, you forfeit the bond.

Well where do we start ridiculing this idea? Let's try:
    So if a group of assholes decides to kick you you lose the 200 Valor... that seems smart and totally not something that would be used for griefing....
    If you get DC then you lose 200 Valor? Yeah that seems fair, serves them right.
    So you're the tank and you're stuck with a bunch of annoying DPS that pulls/aggroes all the time inestead of you? Yeah, just deal with it that's how it's supposed to be.
    So you're the healer and people keep standing in the fire or not use their abilities which causes problems for you even making you wipe several times on the same silly boss? Yeah better stick around or you will miss the fun and lose 200 Valor.

/sarcasm off

In conclusion: stupid idea. The only thing that will "bond" people to LFD/LFR is other people. As long as there are jerks no amount of Valor bond will fix that. All it will do is prevent people from running it because they may lose Valor. If people would be more active, friendly, patient, skillful and/or helpful, all would be fine.

Quote Originally Posted by velde046 View Post
    In conclusion: stupid idea. The only thing that will "bond" people to LFD/LFR is other people.
    What will "bond" people to LFD/LFR is wanting to finish it very much, but especially NOT WANTING TO ABANDON IT for any reason.

So, actually, awesome idea!

If you get DC from LFR more often than you are able to finish it, then you have a bigger problem with WoW than your social milieu.

- - - Updated - - -

"Hmm, let's see, if I give up now and/or kick these other so-so players, I will lose my valor for the week and be unable to earn any more."

"Or, perhaps, I could try a little harder."

And why would they do that, when in turn, they would most likely be kicked for being dickheads, assuming they could get a majority to go along with a kick vote, which in most cases you can't unless there is something actually plausibly kick-worthy transpiring.

You forget, the kick system has largely been fixed so that a group can't abuse it. It is unusual for someone to be kicked for a so-so reason, and pretty much impossible for someone to be kicked out of the blue, unless his name starts with the same 5 letters as some other villain in the group.

- - - Updated - - -

People constantly get kicked for stupid reasons based on trolls and stupid people. I have a long list of stories of people being trolls and getting people kicked over things that were completely made up including one recently where a shaman got kicked by a DK troll for being "A bad tank". I am just one person that's seen this sort of behavior. If you honestly believe people won't get majorly screwed over from this and this would be good for the game, I don't know what to tell you.

10+ Year Old Account
    the system isn't perfect but adding barriers to entry won't help the system in the way you want.
    Hi

Trust me i would pay/give 1 kidney to get out of some lfr/lfd situations i was in. The only good solution to lfr is to punish ppl hard, that slack and by hard i mean all loot is given at the end of run and if you slacked off (bad dps, healing, died too many times, etc.) you get no loot for the run.

Quote Originally Posted by Itakas View Post
    Trust me i would pay/give 1 kidney to get out of some lfr/lfd situations i was in. The only good solution to lfr is to punish ppl hard, that slack and by hard i mean all loot is given at the end of run and if you slacked off (bad dps, healing, died too many times, etc.) you get no loot for the run.
    That's exactly what I mean.

Make it to the end, or you get nothing, and by nothing, I mean, less than what you started with.

Deleted
    People needs to learn the game, mechanics needs to be more clear. Like with dots snapshoting etc. I don't think bond would make is better you will still end up wih a group that can't simply do it because there is not enough DPS in raid. In game there is no bonus for being good player, there is only punishment for others not showing up like eg. now when with WoD release data hint i lost nearly 70% of guild and we have online 7-8 people which lets us do normals but not heroics. So we can't really raid, that is a punshment for us. If people don't know how to get better at this game we will never get solid groups in LFR. Maybe dropping number of people in LFR from 20 to 15 or 10 would make it better but this will just reduce the number of people you can carry ;/

And punish players who have to leave for legitimate reasons, or if they disconnect because of a tripped circuit?

Arbitrary penalties like this go against the entire philosophy of LFR and LFD being casual experiences that anyone can jump into whenever.
    You just lost The Game