Thread: The Titan Z

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by glo View Post
    Seems like it's just two Titan Blacks on the same PCB. I only caught the silly animation of them combining two titans into this, but 2280*2=5760, VRAM is likely combined between both, 6GB effective.

I just... It makes so little sense. Two 780 Ti cards in SLI can do the same thing for less than half the price (probably exactly half when the 6GB model releases), two Titan Blacks for $1,000 less. I just don't get it.
    The Titan Z is full FP64, so its almost like two K6000 on the same PCB , minus the ECC memory for half the price but you got 2 GPUs instead of one!. For that price its pretty much the best you can get for Adobe premiere(video editing). Its not really viable for supercomputer because it lack the ECC memory or any other type of science computing.

Edit: I saw one of your other post and No... the Titan black is not Full FP64 , its actually 1/3 FP32, a quick google research (like : is titan black full fp64) will lead you to several article that include all the spec of the titan black (which all say that its 1/3 FP32). Plus the space saving is huge, for someone who has rendering farm, he could have Four GK110 with full FP64 in every machine instead of two GK110 (or 3 but thats not really recommended for 24/7 render) (with limited compute capability) in one case.
    Last edited by DarkBlade6; 2014-03-27 at 03:58 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by mnm View Post
    The Titan Z is full FP64, so its almost like two K6000 on the same PCB , minus the ECC memory for half the price but you got 2 GPUs instead of one!. For that price its pretty much the best you can get for Adobe premiere(video editing). Its not really viable for supercomputer because it lack the ECC memory or any other type of science computing.

Edit: I saw one of your other post and No... the Titan black is not Full FP64 , its actually 1/3 FP32, a quick google research (like : is titan black full fp64) will lead you to several article that include all the spec of the titan black (which all say that its 1/3 FP32). Plus the space saving is huge, for someone who has rendering farm, he could have Four GK110 with full FP64 in every machine instead of two GK110 (or 3 but thats not really recommended for 24/7 render) (with limited compute capability) in one case.
    Unfortunately, this is wrong. Titan Z has 1/3 FP32, just like the Titan Black. I initially thought he was referring to the Z having it "fully enabled", which it does, but so does the Black.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/7897/n...gk110-for-3000

As far as space savings goes, nobody is grasping that this is a 3 slot cooler. Bye bye mITX / mATX. Any situation where you have 3 slots available, you're gonna almost always have 4 as well for 2 Titan Blacks. Not to mention that the Z will be considerably downclocked according to sources which makes the gap even further.

So basically, Nvidia is charging you a $1,000 premium to downclock, condense two full GK110 chips on a cooler that saves next to no space and give you a much worse cooling solution. Good stuff.
    i7-4770k - GTX 780 Ti - 16GB DDR3 Ripjaws - (2) HyperX 120s / Vertex 3 120
    ASRock Extreme3 - Sennheiser Momentums - Xonar DG - EVGA Supernova 650G - Corsair H80i

build pics

Unfortunately, this is wrong. Titan Z has 1/3 FP32, just like the Titan Black. I initially thought he was referring to the Z having it "fully enabled", which it does, but so does the Black.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/7897/n...gk110-for-3000

As far as space savings goes, nobody is grasping that this is a 3 slot cooler. Bye bye mITX / mATX. Any situation where you have 3 slots available, you're gonna almost always have 4 as well for 2 Titan Blacks. Not to mention that the Z will be considerably downclocked according to sources which makes the gap even further.

So basically, Nvidia is charging you a $1,000 premium to downclock, condense two full GK110 chips on a cooler that saves next to no space and give you a much worse cooling solution. Good stuff.
    Me no likey the down clock. Bah humbug!

They REALLY need to start adding more fans to the damn things so they don't end up being downclocked so they don't go supernova. Give it a 2-3 fan setup so it won't be a 3-slot GPU.
    If you must insist on using a non-sanctioned sitting apparatus, please consider the tensile strength
    of the materials present in the object in question in comparison to your own mass volumetric density.

In other words, stop breaking shit with your fat ass.

10+ Year Old Account
    Titan z as in zzzzzzz everyone is falling asleep waiting for high end Maxwell.

Quote Originally Posted by tielknight View Post
    They REALLY need to start adding more fans to the damn things so they don't end up being downclocked so they don't go supernova. Give it a 2-3 fan setup so it won't be a 3-slot GPU.
    I think the reasoning for blower coolers on reference models is mostly for compatibility reasons such as poor airflow situations. At a 3k price tag though, yeah, it makes little sense. Anyone dropping that much on a GPU likely understands the importance of airflow.
    ASRock Extreme3 - Sennheiser Momentums - Xonar DG - EVGA Supernova 650G - Corsair H80i

build pics

10+ Year Old Account
    I think the reasoning for blower coolers on reference models is mostly for compatibility reasons such as poor airflow situations. At a 3k price tag though, yeah, it makes little sense. Anyone dropping that much on a GPU likely understands the importance of airflow.
    looking at the card some more, it's 2.5 slots thick, using 3 slots on the case, so even if you stacked the cards side by side, there will still be a large gap for the fan to draw air with

it basically looks like a thicker GTX-690, meaning it has slightly larger heatsinks, which are probably more than enough for use, when you gave 4 GPUs, overclocking them is generally not on your mind, so the need for better cooling is pretty irrelevant, as long as the factory cooling setup can keep it within engineered tolerance under full load you are fine

It's a 2.5 slot cooler, not a fully 3 slot cooler. http://content.hwigroup.net/images/a...4-titanz-2.jpg
    Something like a gtx 680 dc2 has a full 3 slot cooler.

This should fit in a matx case like this: http://files.tested.com/photos/2013/...ilverstone.jpg

Not complety sure about it but the Titan Z's in SLI would be a lot quieter than 4 titan blacks in SLI.
    3930K@NH-U12s | Asus R4E | 16GB (4x4GB 1600MHz) Dominator Platinum | 2x Asus gtx 780 DC2OC SLI | Evga Supernova 1000 P2 | S27A750D

Eh, still don't see the price being justified. It screams greed. Look at the last 4 generations in top end / multi GPU cards:

285 = $400 at launch, 295 = $500 at launch, a 25% increase in price.
    580 = $499 at launch, 590 = $699 at launch, a 40% increase in price.
    680 = $499 at launch, 690 = $1,000 at launch, a 100% increase in price.
    Titan Black = $1,000 at launch, Titan Z = $3,000 at launch, a 200% increase in price.

Scary part? If this trend continues the way it's headed with the linear percentage increases from single to multi GPU cards, we're going to be looking at something like:

8xx high end card $1,300 at launch, 8xx high end multi card $6,500 at launch, a 400% increase.

It's not exactly out of the realm of possibility, for the past 7 years, the percentage difference has doubled, almost to the dot. Also, Nvidia is quite clearly being defended for the $1,000 premium to have two cards on the same PCB. Except, only a year ago you weren't paying for the privilege, it was even. 2.5 years ago you were paying less than the cost of 2 separate cards.

This is the shit that happens when consumers don't speak with their wallets and blindly throw money at companies just to "have the best".
    Last edited by glo; 2014-03-27 at 02:18 PM.

build pics

I still think that they priced the GTX 690 and GTX Titan cards at 1000 dollars to make the idea of a 750-800 dollar graphics card look like a hell of a deal instead of a hell of a rip off.

15+ Year Old Account
    This is the shit that happens when consumers don't speak with their wallets and blindly throw money at companies just to "have the best".
    No, this is just how capitalism works. It's not people blindly throwing money at companies, it's people wanting a product and willing to pay for it accordingly. And people are obviously willing to pay since they are rising the prices. If someone wants to pay $3,000 for a high end card who are you to say that they can't have it? Absolutely not Nvidia. The system works, when the price gets too high for making it unprofitable they'll have to come forward. Until then don't buy the product if you don't want to or can't afford it.

10+ Year Old Account
    7990, 690 & GTX Titan are greed from both companies which resulted in all the overpriced MSRP prices from nVidia. Titan gets released at 1000 $, people let their wallet decide for them since they want the best, after that nVidia releases the 780 at 650 $ which would seem like a bargain, and every titan owner would feel like a fool.

400-500 $ for single fastest GPU's is where it should be at.

No one can justify a Titan Z at 2999 $ when you could have the same performance for less than half. While the very very little percentage of people might want this card for a small factor case, isn't it better to just get a new case for 100-130 $ that supports dual GPU's?
    8700K (5GHz) - Z370 M5 - Mugen 5 - 16GB Tridentz 3200MHz - GTX 1070Ti Strix - NZXT S340E - Dell 24' 1440p (165Hz)

Quote Originally Posted by Ghâzh View Post
    No, this is just how capitalism works. It's not people blindly throwing money at companies, it's people wanting a product and willing to pay for it accordingly. And people are obviously willing to pay since they are rising the prices. If someone wants to pay $3,000 for a high end card who are you to say that they can't have it? Absolutely not Nvidia. The system works, when the price gets too high for making it unprofitable they'll have to come forward. Until then don't buy the product if you don't want to or can't afford it.
    The "but capitalism and free market, dude" argument is poor. Yes, the vast majority of the educated population gets it. However, it doesn't excuse artificial price inflation's scumminess. These cards are not successful because THAT many people need FSP64 performance in tiny enclosures, they're successful because the uneducated or stupid buy into the fact that they think they need it for one reason or another. They're exploiting people for money.

$100 HDMI cables come to mind, there's benefits such as durability and extended operational lengths, but the majority buying them aren't utilizing said advantages. They're getting them because they're intentionally being marketed to people that don't need them.
    Last edited by glo; 2014-03-27 at 04:43 PM.

build pics

10+ Year Old Account
    Sheesh.

This card should definitely not be marketed for gaming in any fashion. I wonder who is going to actually buy this? ><
    I'm personally saving up for my second 780 TI. That should keep me going strong for a long time.

10+ Year Old Account
    The "but capitalism and free market, dude" argument is poor. Yes, the vast majority of the educated population gets it. However, it doesn't excuse artificial price inflation's scumminess. These cards are not successful because THAT many people need FSP64 performance in tiny enclosures, they're successful because the uneducated or stupid buy into the fact that they think they need it for one reason or another. They're exploiting people for money.

$100 HDMI cables come to mind, there's benefits such as durability and extended operational lengths, but the majority buying them aren't utilizing said advantages. They're getting them because they're intentionally being marketed to people that don't need them.
    You mean like this?
    http://www.amazon.com/263-Audioquest...dp/B0073HJVSK/

15+ Year Old Account
    The "but capitalism and free market, dude" argument is poor. Yes, the vast majority of the educated population gets it. However, it doesn't excuse artificial price inflation's scumminess.
    No it's not, there's no artificial price inflation scumminess, only supply and demand. If someone does zero research on the subject and buys a $3,000 video card I think it's safe to assume that that kind of money amounts to nothing for him. If you actually buy the card thinking you need it and spend all your money on it you're just stupid and deserve the lesson. These cards are successful because there's demand for them. Be it someone who actually needs it, someone who wants to show off by buying something stupidly expensive or someone who simply doesn't care about the price.

What I think is a little hypocritical is the same people in this thread, who back when the original Titan released praised it and said it's a niche product for enthusiasts, now come here complaining about this when it's finally out of their personal price level.

No it's not, there's no artificial price inflation scumminess, only supply and demand. If someone does zero research on the subject and buys a $3,000 video card I think it's safe to assume that that kind of money amounts to nothing for him. If you actually buy the card thinking you need it and spend all your money on it you're just stupid and deserve the lesson. These cards are successful because there's demand for them. Be it someone who actually needs it, someone who wants to show off by buying something stupidly expensive or someone who simply doesn't care about the price.

What I think is a little hypocritical is the same people in this thread, who back when the original Titan released praised it and said it's a niche product for enthusiasts, now come here complaining about this when it's finally out of their personal price level.
    With your logic they could and should have priced it at $5,000. $20,000? It's just supply and demand, someone will buy it, right?

(you're not using the supply and demand term properly)

build pics

15+ Year Old Account
    With your logic they could and should have priced it at $5,000. $20,000? It's just supply and demand, someone will buy it, right?
    Only if that is profitable for them. If the demand gets too low and supply stays the same the price must come down.

Only if that is profitable for them. If the demand gets too low and supply stays the same the price must come down.
    You would have a valid point if GK110 was only being manufactured for Titan Z.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Remilia View Post
    Oh dear god, what the hell is that?!

build pics

15+ Year Old Account
    You would have a valid point if GK110 was only being manufactured for Titan Z.
    Well in this case it doesn't really matter, the card in itself isn't on "that" limited supply but there's still an amount of cards they need to sell to make profit. Also once the GK110 chip is installed in the card it's done and you can't "downgrade" it to regular Titan anymore if you notice the Z doesn't sell.