Thread: Spec Diversity?

Spec Diversity?

Okay, so I'm returning from a long absence and tearing through some classes that generally I leveled, but neglected.

I'm enjoying the Warlock, each spec has a ton of weird depth to it that the others do not. Thinking that this was awesome, I decided to look into Hunters. I'm attempting to figure out where the difference comes from between the specs. While you get your basic talent abilities that were from the previous system, a ton of Hunter stuff seems passive.

To experienced players, can I get some help on understanding the depth between the two three specs?

Edit: My brain!
    Last edited by Mazinger-Z; 2014-03-25 at 08:09 PM.

2 specs?

there are 3 last time I checked.

BM relies on your pet more, your main nuke depends on your pet being within 25 yards of the target
    Survival is all about explosive shot and keeping high uptime on your dots
    Marksmanship is about chimera and aimed shot, using those whenever you can while maintaining steady focus with steady shot.

All in all: not very different or deep if I'm going to be honest.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mazinger-Z View Post
    Okay, so I'm returning from a long absence and tearing through some classes that generally I leveled, but neglected.

I'm enjoying the Warlock, each spec has a ton of weird depth to it that the others do not. Thinking that this was awesome, I decided to look into Hunters. I'm attempting to figure out where the difference comes from between the specs. While you get your basic talent abilities that were from the previous system, a ton of Hunter stuff seems passive.

To experienced players, can I get some help on understanding the depth between the two specs?
    Sadly all 3 specs are generally the same with a few small differences . Each spec has a signature shot (kill command explosive shot and chimera shot) each spec has a move that generates focus and a move to dump focus ( arcane shot ). There are some minor differences like a couple more CDs for BM, another dot to keep up for survival, or a haste buff to kelp up for marks. All in all it's quite lazy on blizzards part . And we r hoping this changes come WoD

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah, Hunters and Mages are in the same boat w/lack of diversity between their specs. I've only played BM and SV thus far (boosted my Hunter a couple weeks ago) and the main difference is feel imo. While I like SV, Lock and Load was aggravating my carpal tunnel big time. BM feels smoother by contrast as it doesn't have a similar proc.

I'm tempted to try out a Lock but, despite the lack of diversity, Hunters are a lot of fun. Also I can't get past the dark caster mojo. I don't want to eat people's souls :/

Well SV has ES & BA, MM has AS & Chimera and BM has KC. Just change them on you action bars. MM sucks in PvE, SV is the most RNG based spec (with T16 4pc, before that it also sucks in PvE [and PvP]) and BM has steady dps, but still some issues with pets. Annnnnd thats all folks

But I love to play hunter. Still enjoy this class after 4 years of ups and downs. I played every other class in the game and only warlock gives me comparable fun.

Marks and Surv are very samey feely. Marks's gimicks are in aimed shot (can't move while casting it) and double-casting steady shot for steady focus, which occasionaly yields an instant cast aimed shot.

Explosive shot and Chimera Shot have a similar cooldown and are both instant cast, the chief difference is that Explosive shot often comes up from CD early for spamming.

BM is pretty different, You're basically riding Cobra and Arcane shot, trying to keep focus from capping and Kill Command on CD. The stacking self-buff they get, who's name is eluding me atm, is generally not a massive game changer. hit it when it's glowing, receive minor DPS boost.

The two things that -really-distinguish warlock specs are their secondary resources and their primary nukes. If I had to take a gander, Steady Shot/Cobra Shot are probably not going anywhere, but you could see changes come down for Black Arrow, Explosive Shot, Aimed Shot, and Chimera Shot.

If marks was more rogue-like in terms of balance, where focus regen is significantly slower but steady shot hits significantly harder (Like jab hitting for less than sinister strike, but monks having generally higher base energy regen) they'd have a very different playstyle when lined alongside survival and BM, they'd be casting more often and more dependant on a resource buildup and dump rotation as opposed to a faster "Keep it from capping" rotation.

A secondary resource is likely out of the question, as they've stated that the changes are 'not' an overhaul and are just tweaks to get them feeling different.

Deleted
    I remember (T14) how MM felt like a really 'fast' spec, with the double Rapid Fire because of Readiness and short CD's on those RF's. Loved MM back then.
    Think they should put a lot of skills in a single spec only: Rapid Fire: MM, Serpent Sting: SV, Give all specs different AoE rotations instead of all relying on Multi Strike etc.

Deleted

Spec revamp' ?

From what I've played, BM is unique and different enough right now. The only real issue with it is Focus Fire, which makes you waste a GCD.

When it comes to MM, it seems like they want to transform it like an "Arcane Mage" spec, with AiS as a focus dump, which is ... questionable (really hope the AiS' glyph isn't going away btw). Not bad by any means, but just different from what we have now.
    But I'm curious : why isn't the level 100 talent Focusing Shot / Snipe MM only ? It'd make much more sense to have it tied to Steady Shot ! SS remains the same, but if you cast it without moving, then you deal 100% damage and you generate way more focus.
    And it'd be cool to get the Armor Penetration mastery too (thank you, MMO-Champion forum posters).

And for SV, I think it just needs a solid debuff. It's either gonna be BA, or either SrS. And since this latter is gone as an active ability from the latest WoD build, then let's hope BA's CD is dead and gone, because with no debuff to refresh at any time, SV would feel weird. Again, not bad, but it'd just loose of its identity. And yes, I also heard SrS is apparently a passive ability (and is tied to ArS and Multi-Shot), which doesn't feel right at all.
    Finally, we'd need a new burst. Rapid Fire is just not for SV; haste isn't something we should even stack in the first place (looking at you, Cobra Shot).
    Me ? I see a Storm. A Frost Storm. *Ride The Lightning plays on*.
    Nay, more seriously, even though it's never mentioned lore-wise, it'd be nice for us to deal Frost damage, so why not with a short burst (that could also provide a mastery buff after executing the attack) ? That'd be swell.

With that said, I don't think the three specs should feel drastically different from each other. The numerous similarities between those remains a reason to play a hunter. For instance, if you're an awesome MM, then BM will not be that big of a change for you to make.
    But yeah, little tweaks here and there could be nice.
    Last edited by mmoc2ef41478d1; 2014-03-26 at 10:00 PM.