Deleted

Blacksmith with AH mats only. Costs?

I just hit 600 after 3 days with enchanting. the price was about 10k. not too bad. Now I need a 2nd profession for my hunter. I want a passive bonus, aka not engineer trinker . So i am thinking of blacksmithing due to the look when you have 2 extra sockets in your gear. you might ask why i dont pick LW. I dont like the look of just having agi as a enchant on wrists :s the profession i am choosing is all about look of the bonus you get with it.

has anyone here done 1-600 in BS recently?

Deleted
    Different realm, different days, different costs, there is no number that will actually help you here, sadly.

You can do it entirely with ghost iron, so if ghost iron ore is sub 20g/stack, pretty cheap. You'll need someone to smelt it, though.

It takes ~4500 bars (and 5 spirits of harmony), so 225 stacks.

On my server, ore is currently 40g/stack and bars are currently 80-90g/stack, so it'd likely cost 18k minimum.

But you can weave regular recipes in with the training plans.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Lince View Post
    Different realm, different days, different costs, there is no number that will actually help you here, sadly.
    yes, but there should be an ish number. wonder if it is around 10k or 30k we are talking about

Definitely don't go the complete ghost iron route. Only use that to fill in spots requiring fel iron and adamantite.

Depends on your sever of course, but 1-200 or so should be really cheap, with all the metal less than 20g per stack. You could probably get copper, bronze, iron for ~10-15g per stack, and mithril ~20-25g per stack. All of these are very easily and quickly farmed as they are very abundant in multiple zones.

Thorium will run you more, probably in the 30-50g a stack range. It is plentiful too, but you need A LOT of it so demand is usually high.

After thorium it will get expensive. Both fel iron and adamantite are very rare on the AH and take a while to farm. I would suggesting using ghost iron for these steps.

Cobalt is definitely more expensive than saronite on average, but you should get both of these for around 100g a stack. Any less and you are doing pretty well.

Obsidium is a wildcard. Very expensive on one of my realms, and cheap on the other. Pretty easily farmed, but demand is higher than elementium so will probably cost ~150g a stack. You don't need much elementium but it can usually be had for ~100g stack.

My guess is you're looking around 20k.

Can't BS use a lot of stones to level cheaply, or is that engineering only?

Stones are only used ad specific low lvl breakpoints, and none of vanilla materials are exactly rare, especially with flying. Fel iron is a huge bottleneck, and Blizzard decided in their almighty wisdom that that same range needed most ghost iron per skill-up. If you get cheap thorium, you can use it to 320, anything is more efficient than fel iron.

Fel iron is really a pain in the ass. Only Hellfire has it in any quantity, and even then you can fly around the whole zone at off-peak times and only find a handful of nodes. Blades Edge Mountains has some but the nodes share with adamantite. I generally keep any eye on the AH for cheap fel iron and buy it whenever, just in anticipation that I might need some in the future or as a means to turn a quick profit. Anything less than 150g a stack is a good price for both my servers.

I leveled Blacksmithing on an alt with 99% AH mats, and some of the levels required way more mats than my server's AH had... with a limited quantity, some levels were hella expensive and even more so when I had to defer to the ghost iron way. Prob spent ~25k total.