Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Why do people hate?

Why do some people not like pet battles, I mean they are an awesome addition to the game! Post below on why you think pet battles don't get enough love!

10+ Year Old Account
    It's not everyone's cup of tea. It's certainly not mine. I wouldn't say I hate it, though.

Some people don't find it fun and think that it was a waste of time when they coulld'be have put the resources on improving other parts of the game.

10+ Year Old Account
    And that's fine and all....but I don't particularly like arena...in fact I very much dislike arena but I'm not going to run around saying they need to remove arena from the game so my favorite content gets more attention. That's silly IMO. Some people love arena, and other various content I'm not fond of, so they should get attention too.
    S (moderator)
    P (WoW Gen, Pets/Mog/Ach, Fun/Chat Zone)
    L (guidelines*)
    E (WoW gen rules*)
    N (my art*)
    D (Pikachu BEST Pokemon)
    A (Sensational™)

Quote Originally Posted by Splenda View Post
    And that's fine and all....but I don't particularly like arena...in fact I very much dislike arena but I'm not going to run around saying they need to remove arena from the game so my favorite content gets more attention. That's silly IMO. Some people love arena, and other various content I'm not fond of, so they should get attention too.
    Except people did run around saying arena should be removed and it was a waste of time when it was added. Lots of people did.
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    which is kind of like saying "of COURSE you can't see the unicorns, unicorns are invisible, silly."

Quote Originally Posted by Splenda View Post
    /sortofsarcasmsortofnoton

I will. Blizz keeps balancing PvE content around pvp arenas and it's killing the game.

Also pet battles lol pokemon is killing the game.

Also LFR tourist mode is killing the game.

Also pandas should be removed. Doesn't belong in wow and is killing immersion and the game.

I mean why else have subs gone down by millions since the wow hay day?

Back in Wrath the Lich King died and took WoW down with him.

/sortofsarcasmsortofnotoff

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Raiju View Post
    Except people did run around saying arena should be removed and it was a waste of time when it was added. Lots of people did.
    I'm speaking for myself, not others. I wont demand arena gets removed because I don't like it. Other people do, and I don't make it a habit to be a wet blanket. I was suggesting other people do the same.
    S (moderator)
    P (WoW Gen, Pets/Mog/Ach, Fun/Chat Zone)
    L (guidelines*)
    E (WoW gen rules*)
    N (my art*)
    D (Pikachu BEST Pokemon)
    A (Sensational™)

3.4 Million battles a day does not seem disliked.

I think people are put off by the concept of pet battles inside WoW, not the actual mechanics of the pet battles themselves.

Pokemon is a HUGE success, you can practically blatantly rip it off and enjoy almost guaranteed moderate success for a short while.

I wasn't in to it, I like achievements, I thought, hmm, whole section of pet battle achievements now...got into it, really enjoyed it, it's very time consuming (for achievements at least and tournament building etc) but its' enjoyable, after getting all the achievements I won't be spending anywhere near as much time on it, but I'll be collecting and battling the new ones in WoD

I think more people love collecting the pets more than battling. No clue if that is true, but it's something that seems to be the case on the few servers I play on.

Quote Originally Posted by Raiju View Post
    Difference is arena affects other parts of the game, while pet battles affect nothing. I have never done a pet battle and never will, but I have never been hindered by not doing it. If I choose not to do arena, I have crappy gear in battlegrounds. Not to say that I want arena removed or anything, but there is at least some reason to hate it being around; not so with pet battles.

The fact they pay to play gives them a sense of entitlement to dictate the only areas where their sub dollars go, i.e. 'If they're not developing new dungeons/raids/battlegrounds/arenas/etc. they're WASTING MY MONEY!'

And some of it might be a need to feel a sense of control. They can't personally do shit to influence things that matter, like national and international policy on many issues, but they can sure feel like their voice matters as a paying customer of a video game!

On the one hand, they're a little out of left field as far as being put in WoW, derivative, and could be seen as extraneous and not very conducive to the main focus of the game.

On the other hand, they're extremely fun, borrow and even improve upon many elements of Pokemon, and could be seen as a nice little diversion (like the old Playstation loading screens having Galaga) added to an already diverse game; an homage to Pokemon if you would will.

(Plus, they already had all those pets that followed you around in-game and people seemed to like them; so why not add a little to them?)

10+ Year Old Account
    Because Pet Battles are not an interesting part of the game for me. If I wanted to play Pokemon, I would.

They can't personally do shit to influence things that matter, like national and international policy on many issues, but they can sure feel like their voice matters as a paying customer of a video game!
    Or I could just be expressing my disappointment that the only activity I find worthwhile in the game anymore is raiding. Which even then, I got enough of in November.

Don't know about you, but I remember doing more than just raiding from BC to the end of WOTLK. Every day was a new Adventure in World of Warcraft.

Quote Originally Posted by Itisamuh View Post
    Difference is arena affects other parts of the game, while pet battles affect nothing. I have never done a pet battle and never will, but I have never been hindered by not doing it. If I choose not to do arena, I have crappy gear in battlegrounds. Not to say that I want arena removed or anything, but there is at least some reason to hate it being around; not so with pet battles.
    Well the most significant portions both arena and pet battles affect (note: pet battles were responsible for trivializing some old content mechanics if you want to get technical, as the raids with pet drops had to be made more accessible) is the developer time. I'm not saying *I* think they should be removed or anything, just that it's silly to ignore the argument that is clearly there. It is a very visible aspect of the game that if they don't play, they feel their money is therefore wasted.

When signing up for a subscription based software - you usually pick a package level that has everything you need and ignore the more expensive packages with features you don't - WoW doesn't have this (not saying it should), so you can't pay $0.50 less per month to not have access to pet battles, or similar. I understand it may sound silly to talk over $0.50, but not to everyone.
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    which is kind of like saying "of COURSE you can't see the unicorns, unicorns are invisible, silly."

Deleted
    People that didnt play pokemon as a kid i suppose

Dont understand why this is here.
    Couldn't it have been put in general?

Quote Originally Posted by Sanguinezor View Post
    Dont understand why this is here.
    Couldn't it have been put in general?
    This forum has battle pets in the title. The thread is about battle pets and why people hate them. I'm no logician but......

Deleted
    Maybe because Blizzard was balancing pet battles much more than PvP?
    I don't know, I don't hate it, I just don't play it.

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't hate it, I just think it's a stupid gimmick that has no place in WoW. WoW is about PvP, PvE and Lore. Going outside those roots and adding a feature that's basically pokemon is just a stupid method to keep people playing.
    Most likely the wisest Enhancement Shaman.

Quote Originally Posted by Fungj View Post
    Some people don't find it fun and think that it was a waste of time when they coulld'be have put the resources on improving other parts of the game.
    Those people clearly don't know anything about making a game then.

You're not gonna just put those making pet battles and let them make raid content, or PvP content in WoW. Plus Pet battles is a content on its own. I didn't like pet battles at first, seemed like a waste of time etc, never hated it though. But then I tried it and it was quite fun. I mean, I've made tens of thousands of gold by just enjoying pet battles. And if I wanted I could make hundred of thousands of gold easily with it. That's not a bad addition, it's not like they had to put all the developers into making pet battles. With or without pet battles there wouldn't be any more or less PvE nor PvP content. Unless you may say pet battles is PvE if so then there's actually more PvE content.

People always hate on everything in WoW, doesn't matter what it is. It's too easy, it's too hard, not enough content, too much content, this feature is bad, this feature is useless blah blah.

If you'd search on google you can pretty much find people whining about every single aspect of WoW, literally EVERYTHING. Some people just don't know any better, or anything at all.