Thread: 4th Amend-what?

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst
    Quote Originally Posted by Naftc View Post
    No warrent,No announcing who they were,No anything. Chances are they werent real cops, it happens.
    no, this is just what police do these days in the state. Filthy fucking jack boot thugs. They don't need a warrant because the worst possible outcome of them barging in and shooting you will go without punishment and they will be back on the job the next day...maybe a week of "paid leave" at the most.

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    depending on how "bored" i am, i would let it go or file for harassment of sort.

As of right now, i feel confident and curious enough to file a lawsuit and see what happen, but i understand that at some point of my life, i didn't want to make wave so i would have ignore the event.

as far as i know, if they have a reasonable doubt, they can conduct a search without a warrant.

The lady called them on you which gave them the right to do a quick search. They found nothing out of the normal which is why they left without saying anything.

I'd still complain to their supervisor or file a harassment complaint on your neighbor. Otherwise, be glad you didn't resist, as they'd have gladly tazed you.

I don't know the laws in all the states, but in Oklahoma I don't think "some lady called and said something" is enough for any kind of search. Here the cops are pretty good about not abusing their authority. And when they do Okies are pretty stubborn and sue the hell out of them till the cop is fired or repremanded. At least here in Norman, although the cops don't ever actually drive the speed limit or use their blinker. Unless your state is just really corrupt, sue. This isn't some 3rd world hell hole where the cops will make you disappear; sue the hell out of them and try to get it in the papers. They'll be begging you to take their money and to stop talking about them.

10+ Year Old Account
    Where ever I want, working remote is awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by HAcoreRD View Post
    as far as i know, if they have a reasonable doubt, they can conduct a search without a warrant.
    No, they need probable cause that an illegal activity has taken place. The woman calling the cops is not enough though they would have to claim they smelled something questionable or something like that.

Quote Originally Posted by Somewowguy View Post
    They were cops, they both had official cruisers and ive seen them patrolling before. This isnt rural, it's suburbs. I've literally waved to these dudes before.
    Report the matter to the local authority (Their precinct). Chances are they got some bogus information, but that's no right to do what they did. If you don't get any co-operation, promise to kick up a storm in the local newspapers.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    I'm not sure why you haven't filed a civil complaint yet.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by vaeevictiss View Post
    no, this is just what police do these days in the state. Filthy fucking jack boot thugs. They don't need a warrant because the worst possible outcome of them barging in and shooting you will go without punishment and they will be back on the job the next day...maybe a week of "paid leave" at the most.
    Lol, no - this is not accurate whatsoever.

Quote Originally Posted by cubby View Post
    I'm not sure why you haven't filed a civil complaint yet.
    In fairness to that inquiry, have you ever tried asking an officer for their badge #? Or, if you're an officer yourself, how do you think your fellow officers would react to being asked for their badge #s?

Pro-tip: It never goes well while you're face to face with them.

Quote Originally Posted by vindicatorx View Post
    You should read the article I posted on page 1 where it explains how the Kentucky Supreme Court has given authorities the ability to basically make up probable cause to enter a residence before you suggest he waste a bunch of time trying to sue them.
    The 14th Amendment overrides any state nonsense that tries to limit the 4th.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by zoomgpally View Post
    And he could shoot them for trespassing, isn't that how stuff is done in 'murica?
    Only in certain states such as Indiana. Great law btw. Every state should allow it. Might reduce this nonsense more if a few cops eat it breaking into homes.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Somewowguy View Post
    I wont be calling anyone. Like I said, I dont want any more trouble. Just seeing if there is a safer place to live around here.
    So a problem happens. You don't attempt to rectify it. And then you go on the internet to complain about the system not working?

Hm.
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

This stinks of bullshit honestly. Has this kind of thing happened? Yes. None of those people went to a gaming forum to share incredibly sketchy details just hours after it happened instead of seeking compensation or retribution.

Quote Originally Posted by supertony51 View Post
    Have you called their supervisor?
    They will just pull the exigent circumstances card and nothing will happen.

Sue, get some money, and move to another place! You were emotionally scarred.
    MY X/Y POKEMON FRIEND CODE: 1418-7279-9541 In Game Name: Michael__

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Pengalor View Post
    This stinks of bullshit honestly. Has this kind of thing happened? Yes. None of those people went to a gaming forum to share incredibly sketchy details just hours after it happened instead of seeking compensation or retribution.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaleredar View Post
    So a problem happens. You don't attempt to rectify it. And then you go on the internet to complain about the system not working?

Hm.
    I gotta agree with you guys, don't complain about something then not try to fix it and just keep complaining.
    Time...line? Time isn't made out of lines. It is made out of circles. That is why clocks are round. ~ Caboose

10+ Year Old Account
    Really disinclined to believe the OP given how Americans like to bitch about the police.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.