Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Being alone / Depressed

So I'm 20 and don't have many friends nor do I work, I am not a very social person, anyways my parents go overseas atleast once a year and it never use to be a big deal because I was younger and my grandma would look after me, but now when they go away I am alone for a few weeks and I start getting really depressed, how can I help deal with this?

The Unstoppable Force THE Bigzoman's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Move out and socialize?

Get a job, buy nice clothes, a decent apartment, put a down payment on a car. That milkshake will bring some girls to the yard.

Deleted
    In my case, I like to look what is happening in the municipality and see if there's anything I'm interested in that's going on. Seminars are fun! Try to create some contacts there, and even if you're too shy it's at least some human interaction, even though it's one-way interaction.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigzoman20 View Post
    Move out and socialize?

Get a job, buy nice clothes, a decent apartment, put a down payment on a car. That milkshake will bring some girls to the yard.
    Pretty much this, but buy a nice used car and save yourself $15k.

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    OP I know the feeling, I'm 32 now and don't have any friends at all. As one anti social person myself... It's hard to make friends, the ones I do have I never seen in person, but met online in World of Warcraft, but most of them quit over the last year!

The best thing I can tell you is that you are still young try to go to a bar or something, try to meet someone, even pick up a girl! Not turn out like me!

Why does he have to move out to solve loneliness? If it's a privacy thing then he has the house to himself so...? If it's a "socialize" thing, how does moving out help that?

Get a job, preferably one that allows you to socialize at the same time. You might not like it, but you won't feel lonely. Find someone you enjoy spending time with in a game and just start socializing with him. Socializing in game is different than IRL imo because any physical insecurities you might have aren't an issue. Just make sure you don't get too involved into the social aspect of WoW, as it can be hard to get out of it, but it's better than feeling lonely.

I speak from experience about the online relationships, my best friend is someone I've met on Starcraft and I still talk to him daily despite never meeting him IRL. Hope you can make out of this situation since you seem to want to get out of it, don't give up. At this point no one cares about your past, life will always welcome you back in.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Forgettable View Post
    Pretty much this, but buy a nice used car and save yourself $15k.
    Depends on the dealership.

Deleted
    Not sure if you have a job or not but getting one is a great way to earn money and meet new people and make friends, i was able to find my boyfriend thought a friend at work so its always a good place to start if you dont already have a job. You could always go to museums and stuff like that which might help with the loneliness as you can talk to people about the exhibits, playing video games like wow and other ones (i play a lot of Garry's mod TTT for example) you will then all have a shared interest which can help start off a friendship, also listening to upbeat music helps me when i feel down as well hope some of this helps!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Blueobelisk View Post
    Why does he have to move out to solve loneliness? If it's a privacy thing then he has the house to himself so...? If it's a "socialize" thing, how does moving out help that?
    Not a lot of people, particularity women, are fond of people who depend on their parents.

10+ Year Old Account
    Move out and socialize?

Really isn't helping lol. If he has no work, he's probably considered looking for a job already, or is in the process of doing so.

Im gonna take a wild guess and say you actually can't spend sometime with grandma anymore? If you're able to, even if it's not *staying* with her during the time they are overseas, it's always nice to visit (I used to be in the same situation when I was younger) but I still visit my nan when I can, cause she cooks nice stuff and it's always nice to see her, as she tells me anyway! :P

If thats not an option anymore, perhaps just going out for a walk for a bit? I know it sounds lame, but I think part of your being depressed is just not having anyone to talk to / being cooped up in your house, so it might be worth considering just going for a jog for a bit? Wander around town? Or perhaps make an effort on your gaming adventures to have a chat to a friendly player (should you find one that is, it seems retarded bigots are all over the place these days)

Hope you figure something out, it's defo not a pleasant situation and I can totally relate, but now that i don't need to be taken care of when my parents go away, and if im back home from Uni, I just watch tv, play some games, go out with the friends if they aren't busy, and just take advantage of a free house with some loud music

People saying moving out seem to think I said I rely on my parents, it is nothing to do with me living with my parents, it could be anyone, I just feel sad/depressed when i'm alone for a long time and I don't have transport or money to go out and socialize nor am I comfortable meeting random people, it's something new that I haven't felt before when being alone.

Not a lot of people, particularly women, are fond of people who depend on their parents.
    You don't need to tell people who you live with to "socialize."

10+ Year Old Account
    what games do u play ? maybe we can play some together

Quote Originally Posted by Huskar000 View Post
    People saying moving out seem to think I said I rely on my parents, it is nothing to do with me living with my parents, it could be anyone, I just feel sad/depressed when i'm alone for a long time and I don't have transport or money to go out and socialize nor am I comfortable meeting random people, it's something new that I haven't felt before when being alone.
    I don't necessarily say you need to get a job, but $money$ and a car ARE real barriers to socializing.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Blueobelisk View Post
    I don't necessarily say you need to get a job, but $money$ and a car ARE real barriers to socializing.
    sucks having to plan when you can meet people and go places based on public transport times =/, only learning to drive now cause i see how it is a massive issue

Quote Originally Posted by Huskar000 View Post
    Well you do clearly rely on your parents if you get depressed while they are away. Get a job, that's one way to have an excuse to be around people and have money to do things you want to do.
    Last edited by Gamdwelf; 2014-03-26 at 05:31 PM.
    Gamdwelf the Mage

Quote Originally Posted by Theodarzna View Post
    I'm calling it, Republicans will hold congress in 2018 and Trump will win again in 2020.

Not a lot of people, particularity women, are fond of people who depend on their parents.
    It's not all that easy, I still live with my parents because I simply cant afford to get my own place.
    ||i5 3570k @ 4.4GHz||H100 push/pull||AsRock Z77 Extreme4||16Gb G.Skill Ripjaws 1600MHz||Gigabyte Windforce GTX 970|| Coolermaster Storm Trooper||Corsair TX850 Enthusiast Series||Samsung 840 Pro 128gb(boot drive)||1TB WD HDD, 2x 3TB WD HDD, 2TB WD HDD||

Bdk Nagrand / Astae Nagrand
    Pokemon X FC: 4656-7679-2545/Trainer Name: Keno

Suggestions: get a hobby that requires you to be outside with other people. Volunteer somewhere Habitat for Humanity etc. Get a dog they are great companions and definitely take the edge off loneliness - you'll discover people (especially women) stopping to chat with you and play with the pooch; its a great ice breaker and removes any nervousness over being the center of attention. Best of luck to you.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Cien View Post
    Really isn't helping lol. If he has no work, he's probably considered looking for a job already, or is in the process of doing so.

Im gonna take a wild guess and say you actually can't spend sometime with grandma anymore? If you're able to, even if it's not *staying* with her during the time they are overseas, it's always nice to visit (I used to be in the same situation when I was younger) but I still visit my nan when I can, cause she cooks nice stuff and it's always nice to see her, as she tells me anyway! :P

If thats not an option anymore, perhaps just going out for a walk for a bit? I know it sounds lame, but I think part of your being depressed is just not having anyone to talk to / being cooped up in your house, so it might be worth considering just going for a jog for a bit? Wander around town? Or perhaps make an effort on your gaming adventures to have a chat to a friendly player (should you find one that is, it seems retarded bigots are all over the place these days)

Hope you figure something out, it's defo not a pleasant situation and I can totally relate, but now that i don't need to be taken care of when my parents go away, and if im back home from Uni, I just watch tv, play some games, go out with the friends if they aren't busy, and just take advantage of a free house with some loud music
    This assumption has no basis. He has not implied this in the slightest. He has implied that he is unemployed. If he hasn't found work yet, he simply needs to keep searching.

Exercise will help him alleviate his depression though.