Poll: Is it okay to hunt for sport / food?

Page 1 of 12
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Hunting for Food Vs. Hunting for Sport: Is it okay?

I've seen many differing opinions on this subject, and I would like to know, do you feel it is okay to hunt for food, hunt for sport, both, or neither?

Many of the people who hunt for sport, also take the meat home and use it to feed their families. Its just an added bonus to have a trophy like that mounted on your wall.

Thoughts?
    Last edited by Jaylock; 2014-03-26 at 09:19 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I should be able to legally purchase heads of humans from unclaimed bodies and hang them on my wall.
    I support a cash shop in WoW!

Deleted
    Any hunting where you will eat the animal regardless if for sport or if you are hunting for food is fine with me. I'd quite like to do a bit of hunting to catch game etc. then eat the meat as fresh as it can be. Folk who hunt animals only for the sake of trophies are scum.

Hunting for sport is just fine in my book as long as you don't hunt a species to extinction. I would assume that's not a problem here in the U.S. though.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zantos View Post
    There are no 2 species that are 100% identical.
    Quote Originally Posted by Redditor
    can you leftist twits just fucking admit that quantum mechanics has fuck all to do with thermodynamics, that shit is just a pose?

The idea of hunting any living thing for "sport" is abhorrent.

10+ Year Old Account
    As long as you eat it, it is in legitimate need of culling or is a pest/varmint I have no problems.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Lets say you have a two 3 inch lines. One is all red and the other is 48% red and 52% blue. Does that mean there's a 50-50 chance they're both red or is the second line matching the all red line by 48%?
    ^^^ Wells using an analogy

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by xylophone View Post
    As long as you eat it, it is in legitimate need of culling or is a pest/varmint I have no problems.
    Seconded.

While some in my family have hunted, i don't really feel the appeal of shooting for the sake of it; I've shot and eaten animals before, so if that lends bias to my view of this...

The Lightbringer theostrichsays's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    In my douche canoe crossing the Delaware.
    I have zero issue with hunting animals for food if their population allows us to. Hunting animals for the purpose of getting a cool picture with it and then wasting the animal or hunting a species whose population is already in doubt, I'm not cool with.
    I also dislike the concept that hunting a animal that is trusting of humans being a sport. It is not, hunting deer that hang out at your feeder is not a sport, or hunting lions that are use to human interaction and in some cases have been fed, is nothing close to a sport. I don't know we have "barrel hunts" in my area and for the life of me people paying a few hundred dollars to kill something that I could damn near pet is odd.
    I'm sure somebody will say I am being a hypocrite but I grew up poor, I hunted boar with dogs and a knife or bow as a youth. I never once thought what I was doing was a sport, it was simply a means to help lower the families grocery bill.

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't see any problem with hunting for sport.

I mean, you stated it yourself "many who hunt for sport, also use the meat to feed their families". I feel if you're using the meat and every part of the animal, how is it sport?
    Kickin Incredibly Dope Shit

i hunt for both. Like most hunters when i hunt for sport, i donate my meat to the homeless so nothing is wasted.

Depends on what's being hunted. Certain populations are low while certain ones are high and need to be controlled.

Things like rhinos shouldn't be hunted, while things like white tailed deer should be Bambi-blasted.

'Mind your own damned business.'

It's an answer that isn't used enough.
    You're not to think you are anything special. You're not to think you are as good as we are. You're not to think you are smarter than we are. You're not to convince yourself that you are better than we are. You're not to think you know more than we do. You're not to think you are more important than we are. You're not to think you are good at anything. You're not to laugh at us. You're not to think anyone cares about you. You're not to think you can teach us anything.

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    The picture looks doctored.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by GrinningMan View Post
    'Mind your own damned business.'

It's an answer that isn't used enough.
    I agree with this.

How the hell can people consider shooting something "Sport". You want a real challenge, you should take it down in a knife fight. You with a knife vs Bear. Sure, put that fucker on your wall, you deserve it. Anything more, isn't sport. (Mind you, I do consider trophies to be disgusting, but in a knife fight..... yeah.... I'm impressed)

If you have to kill something to survive, sure, by all means do it. Other than that, I don't find it acceptable.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shockzilla View Post
    The picture looks doctored.
    He's doing the obligatory hunter photo pose where you sit behind it and stretch you arms out as far as you can, but Roosevelt Elk can get pretty big.
    Lets say you have a two 3 inch lines. One is all red and the other is 48% red and 52% blue. Does that mean there's a 50-50 chance they're both red or is the second line matching the all red line by 48%?

Partying in Valhalla
    15+ Year Old Account
    I put both as fine. The way I see it, is that "hunting for food" is "I only hunt because that's how I get my food", which is fine. Whereas "hunting for sport" is "I hunt because I like to hunt, and I still eat the animal when It's said and done, but I could get my food another way", which is also fine.

The only not-fine thing would be "I hunt for sport, but don't eat the meat, I just like to kill things".

I am not okay with people hunting for sport. If I was the one who make calls, I would ban it. If you want meat, go to butcher. If you want sport, go play football or something that does not involve killing.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ayla View Post
    How the hell can people consider shooting something "Sport". You want a real challenge, you should take it down in a knife fight. You with a knife vs Bear. Sure, put that fucker on your wall, you deserve it. Anything more, isn't sport. (Mind you, I do consider trophies to be disgusting, but in a knife fight..... yeah.... I'm impressed)

If you have to kill something to survive, sure, by all means do it. Other than that, I don't find it acceptable.

Tell that to this guy.

http://youtu.be/bKh_13zOGFc

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Kuntantee View Post
    If you want meat, go to butcher.
    What's the difference?

10+ Year Old Account
    Long as you are taking what you can eat, and actually do so, I'm fine with it either way.