Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Bakis View Post
    In Sweden the ISP's started to battle Netflix, HBO, Viaplay and want them to pay a fee for the massive traffic it generates.
    The internet infrastructure is superb so no problems yet, guess they want to milk the cow.
    Just wait till someone starts a commercial p2p streaming service (like popcorn time) that will really cause problems as the traffic becomes decentralized and the infrastructure comes under some real pressure.

Warchief
    10+ Year Old Account
    Recently I've started battling with Xfinity (Comcast) because I have their fastest data plan and my Netflix streaming quality is worse than Standard Definition TV.

I can stream 1080p content from Youtube perfectly.

Netflix claims that Comcast is throttling Netflix content specifically (totally believable) and Comcast claims that it's a Netflix problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Wilian View Post
    That's not really the issue though. The issue is that in US, a law was repelled that protected free flow of information through internet recently and now ISPs can have full control over what is spread over their networks, or streamed through them.

Basically, think it in a way that now if you buy internet service from company, it's more like limited cable service, where you can pay to expand it further (and other companies have to accomodate to) rather than paying for access to internet that is free.
    The reason that the law was over turned was because it was ruled that the FCC doesn't hold jurisdiction over the internet, and that was it. However, it will likely happen still. I'm not too worried, people are in too big of a hissy fit about it. All it would really do if they did this is pave the way for Google to have every single customer of other ISP's because they won't throttle.

Deleted
    Is this the begining of the end?
    It kinda never is.

10+ Year Old Account
    There's something in the water... Florida
    Quote Originally Posted by Damerflinn View Post
    The reason that the law was over turned was because it was ruled that the FCC doesn't hold jurisdiction over the internet, and that was it. However, it will likely happen still. I'm not too worried, people are in too big of a hissy fit about it. All it would really do if they did this is pave the way for Google to have every single customer of other ISP's because they won't throttle.
    I thought google was having trouble aquiring infrastructure which is why thay are limitted to 3 cities in the whole country. Their current goal is 34 cities, of which they have accomplished 8.8 % and then they'll see if adding more cities will be convenient for them. I'm fucked stuck with comcast for several more years hoping that they expand to where I live if they reach their goal in the near future.
    Last edited by Vizardlorde; 2014-03-27 at 10:00 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalis View Post
    MMO-C, where a shill for Putin cares about democracy in the US.

How do you change your dns to watch better content? I've been watching old series because the selection in my country is null.

15+ Year Old Account
    Most ISPs suck dick. I hope they don't win. For the most part they'd rather just sit on their asses and rake in cash rather than update their infrastructure. If we give them the power to throttle the internet that's like printing money for them. They'd literally be offering no additional services and yet they'd make more money than before by slicing up their offerings.

If they got that power they'd probably throttle Netflix across the board, then offer a "streaming deluxe package" that's "optimized for Netflix" or some bullshit that would more or less be the EXACT SAME THING we have now, except you pay more for it. It would be terrible.

Also...the US is 13th in the world in terms of internet speed. We invented the goddamned internet! We should be top 5 at least. I have no sympathy for these greedy ISPs.

The government should break up and prosecute these predatory media conglomerates, but they won't because the government is all bought and paid for by the media conglomerates.

Instead stuff like TOR will outlawed, just so they can control every aspect of information you see.