Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Puupi View Post
    Why do Americans say "the n-word" and "the f-word"?
    Why the fuck are you asking?

Puupi means: Why do you say that phrase to reference the word?
    Normal is the name for the mental disorder present in the majority of humanity.
    Xinjun

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by tumult View Post
    Exactly. I think most of you are failing to see just how prevalent racism continues to be in America, and probably the world.
    What privilege do I have?

Quote Originally Posted by Fullmetal89 View Post
    Sure this is true as well, but what the OP is saying is more like double standards. Which is very true when it comes to our disgustingly politically correct society. If blacks are offended by the word then them saying it to each other is just completely hypocritical, not a matter of context. When they know damn well in what context the word is used. I mean I still hear black people insulting other blacks by calling them 'house niggers,' honestly what the hell is this 1860s.
    You can't on one hand try to play the racial equality card, while on the other hand treating "blacks" as if they are a unified group in agreement on all issues. Generally speaking, the blacks offended by the use of the word nigger are not the same ones rattling the word off every three seconds. I really don't understand how you can sit there and brazenly lump all black people together while pretending that it isn't racist to do so. The fact that you so flippantly do this without even noticing is the problem.

Do you think there is a difference between someone me and a friend exchanging the word "bitch" in jest, and me going to work and calling a woman I don't like a "bitch"? Words don't mean the same things all the time.

The Unstoppable Force Super Kami Dende's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by NineSpine View Post
    ...and "Cracker" is just a word that means someone who cracks something. The origin of a word and what it ends up meaning are not the same thing. Words become derogatory because people use them that way.

Yet here you are, complaining about the word "cracker".

And black people get called thugs and numerous other coded words. You seem to think that only the strongest racial slur is the one that matters.

You seem to care quite a bit.

Or the word has multiple meanings depending on context. When someone ask sfor a box of crackers, do you think they mean a white slur?

Because nothing screams racial tolerance like an incredible degree of over-defensiveness about being called a racist.
    Actually the point I was showing was that if we care so little about the other words, why should we care so much about the word Nigger.

If someone called call me a cracker every day, I still would never be offended by it, since it would just be funny to me.

Words are Words. People need to stop getting so uppity about them.
    Last edited by Super Kami Dende; 2014-03-27 at 05:50 PM.

My thoughts on "African American" oppression, reparations, etc is this: What happened to your ancestors was absolutely awful, I agree. But none of that happened to you and I did not partake in any of it. So can we please just drop the whole thing already? At this point, you (as an African American with full rights) ought to be glad you were born in North America and not Africa. Africa is a shit hole.
    Xinjun

i know lots of black people who dont give a shit if a white person thats their friend calls them their nigga.
    "I was a normal baby for 30 seconds, then ninjas stole my mamma" - Deadpool
    "so what do we do?" "well jack, you stand there and say 'gee rocket raccoon I'm so glad you brought that Unfeasibly large cannon with you..' and i go like this BRAKKA BRAKKA BRAKKA" - Rocket Raccoon

FC: 3437-3046-3552

Quote Originally Posted by Mooneye View Post
    What privilege do I have?

I assumed your were white. If you are white, you are obviously too privileged to see the awful truth about how people of other races have it, while everyone but white people can.

If you are a male at it, that ignorance through privilege gains an additional ten layers.

(obviously, I'm being sarcastic. I despise anyone who uses the "white privilege" or "male privilege" argument.)

Quote Originally Posted by Asthreon View Post
    Actually the point I was showing was that if we care so little about the other words, why should we care so much about the word Nigger.

If someone called call me a cracker every day and I still would never be offended by it, since it would just be funny to me.

Words are Words. People need to stop getting so uppity about them.
    People don't get upset about the word. It isn't the specific combination of vowels that upsets people. The word means something, and it indicates racism. Using it is essentially saying "Black people are inferior". One can come out and simply make that statement directly, and it would equally upset people. You are the one hung out on the sound of those letters together. Other people are upset about the ideas it is attached to.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Yarathir View Post
    I assumed your were white. If you are white, you are obviously too privileged to see the awful truth about how people of other races have it, while everyone but white people can.

If you are a male at it, that ignorance through privilege gains an additional ten layers.

(obviously, I'm sarcastic. I despise anyone who uses the "white privilege" or "male privilege" argument.)
    Yeah, I'm white but not male, in Sweden, belong to one of the minority groups. The biggest one admittedly but still one of the minority groups.

Because: double standards.

/thread
    Quote Originally Posted by Djalil View Post
    I am ACTUALLY ASKING for them to ban me and relieve me from the misery of this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by xinjun View Post
    My thoughts on "African American" oppression, reparations, etc is this: What happened to your ancestors was absolutely awful, I agree. But none of that happened to you and I did not partake in any of it. So can we please just drop the whole thing already? At this point, you (as an African American with full rights) ought to be glad you were born in North America and not Africa. Africa is a shit hole.
    Africa is largely a shit hole because of what's been done to it by external forces, primarily Europe and America, so that isn't the best argument.

Institutional racism is still a very real and present problem. Just because you updated the paperwork to be more inclusive doesn't mean the real world has necessarily fallen in line.

The Unstoppable Force THE Bigzoman's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Or the word has multiple meanings depending on context. When someone ask for a box of crackers, do you think they mean a white slur?
    Just gonna add to this.

The context of a word doesn't change when it used in the same context with a different messenger. If a white person uses "nigga" as a term of endearment to another black. It's exactly that. It doesn't become racist just because the messenger has a different skin tone. When it's used to lambaste someone "Ho ass nigga" "Bitch ass nigga", it's lambasting someone regardless of the messenger. But it isn't racist.
    Last edited by THE Bigzoman; 2014-03-27 at 05:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigzoman20 View Post
    The context of a word doesn't change when it used in the same context with a different messenger. If a white person uses "nigga" as a term of endearment to another black. It's exactly that. It doesn't become racist just because the messenger has a different skin tone.
    It's just if it's a stranger that happens to be white, signals can be more easily misunderstood.

10+ Year Old Account
    Because words used in different contexts have different connotations, and sometimes entirely different meanings.

If a woman at work offends me and I call her a bitch, I might be rightfully accused of sexism. In fact, throwing that word around might not always be the best idea. However, if I say jokingly say "bitch please" to my girlfriend, nobody is going to be offended.
    It does not change context at all. Nigger still means nigger no matter how you cut it. It's the same as saying bitch, cracka, wetback, and so on. Even while used "amongst their own" it still holds the same meaning.

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/nigger

Quote Originally Posted by Mighty Blue Bear View Post
    It does not change context at all. Nigger still means nigger no matter how you cut it. It's the same as saying bitch, cracka, wetback, and so on. Even while used "amongst their own" it still holds the same meaning.

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/nigger
    You think that when I call a woman a bitch, it means the same thing as when I say "This puppy litter had 3 bitches!"

10+ Year Old Account
    As a black man I find context has something to do with the use of the "N" word. It can be used innocently and destructively depending on the way its used and to me it not offensive now like it was when I was a little boy. Hell I've thrown the "N" word around so much even at work, in public, around mixed crowds and I noticed that most people don't care either. It has no power anymore, but their is a good number of my brothers and sisters who get offended when a person of a different color uses it. Now if you call me a big lipped, basketball dunking monkey yeah I get offended but the "N" word is powerless to me now.
    Last edited by Dellis0991; 2014-03-27 at 05:57 PM. Reason: I meant basketball!!!

The Unstoppable Force THE Bigzoman's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rukentuts View Post
    It's just if it's a stranger that happens to be white, signals can be more easily misunderstood.
    I added a bit more via edit.

But if the context is misunderstood for a legitimate reason (presentation, body language, how you deliver the message), then that's fine. But there are those that misunderstand the message purely on the bases of the race of the messenger. That's when it turns into bullshit.

10+ Year Old Account
    You can't on one hand try to play the racial equality card, while on the other hand treating "blacks" as if they are a unified group in agreement on all issues. Generally speaking, the blacks offended by the use of the word nigger are not the same ones rattling the word off every three seconds. I really don't understand how you can sit there and brazenly lump all black people together while pretending that it isn't racist to do so. The fact that you so flippantly do this without even noticing is the problem.

Do you think there is a difference between someone me and a friend exchanging the word "bitch" in jest, and me going to work and calling a woman I don't like a "bitch"? Words don't mean the same things all the time.
    Yeah you are completely taking what I said out of context. I never said that all blacks call each other 'niggers' what I said is that the ones that do, do it knowing full well what it means. In other words what I'm trying to say is that they sound like hypocrites saying that the word 'nigger' should be banned, or being offended by the word when they are the ones making a living of calling each other 'niggers' in music/movies/etc. There are a lot of black people that don't use the word and want people to just stop talking about race all together. I think they have the right idea in mind, if people are continuously getting offended, or pretending to be offended by every little thing said, nobody will be able to move on from racism. Also about your bitch comment, I do think it's wrong even if you say it as a joke. I'm not saying I haven't used the word jokingly I'd be lying if I said I didn't. That doesn't mean that I don't know it's wrong to say it, because it is. I am well aware of my own hypocrisy but that doesn't mean that I don't know the term is demeaning and I shouldn't be using it even though I do at times. Which brings us back full circle to black people calling each other 'niggers,' I'm sure most of them use the word knowing they shouldn't but do it anyways because it's become an acceptable term which is socially exclusive among each other; like calling each other 'dog' or 'hommie.'
    "I can no longer sit back and allow Communist infiltration, Communist indoctrination, Communist subversion and the international Communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids. "
    -
    General Jack D. Ripper.

Africa is largely a shit hole because of what's been done to it by external forces, primarily Europe and America, so that isn't the best argument.
    Yeah it's still a good argument. Regardless of who did what, I wouldn't want to live there right now. Would you?

Institutional racism is still a very real and present problem. Just because you updated the paperwork to be more inclusive doesn't mean the real world has necessarily fallen in line.
    This could be the case. Doesn't seem to be a HUGE problem anymore to me. Just a stereotype perpetuation by both sides. Same as the sex or orientation argument. Sure, discrimination happens. From both sides. But it is no longer a blanket standard of treatment across the board. Get treated badly somewhere? Go somewhere else. There's options now.
    Xinjun