Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

What was trendy during highschool for you?

During highschool, everyone of different ages experiences different trends/fads and die out very quickly, what do you remember being big when you went? Me and few friends are curious to what others had to deal with when they went.

Year ( if you feel comfortable ) - 2006
    Country ( same as above) Canada
    Fashion - "scene clothes" / "emo", band shirts and black
    Music - Metal / Pop punk bands such as fall out boy
    Lingo - I remember you mad bro starting at the end of my highschool years... a lot of you mad bro?

Ill use these for what I remember considering it's the biggest changes through the years..

What do you remember? I know rap / electronic music is big right now as my little brother is now going.

10+ Year Old Account
    Year ( if you feel comfortable ) - 1997-2001
    Country ( same as above) USA (California)
    Fashion - Wide Wale Corderoys
    Music - All Star by Smash Mouth (one of the band members went to my high school)
    Lingo - Hella "Damn, fool! I ain't seen you in hella days!"
    Last edited by Reeve; 2014-03-27 at 05:31 PM.
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

Year - 2006 to 2011 I think
    Country - Scotland
    Fashion - Mini Skirts, Band T-Shirts and
    Music - Dance, DJ Music mainly Basshunter
    Lingo - "Ken" which means "Know" in Scottish but they would use it instead of using "Yes" for some reason. Maybe it can mean "Yes" as well.

10+ Year Old Account
    Year - I went to Grammar School. I'm not entirely sure what school years a High School covers, presumably similar to Secondary School, if so then late 80s.

Country - England.

Fashion - School blazer, school tie, dark trousers, dark socks, black shoes, sensible haircut. We were at the cutting edge of cool.

Music - "Consule cunctis" was our school song. I think I can still remember the first verse. I can certainly recall the school chant.

Lingo - English and Latin.

Deleted

Moon Boots! I'm glad that i considered them hidious even then. This was late 1980's and early 90's. You saw these monsters everywhere!

10+ Year Old Account
    There's something in the water... Florida
    My first year of highchool was dominated by emo/gothic kids. My 2nd year and onward was mostly "Refy"(derogatory term for Cubans who refuse to adapt)
    Year 2006-2010
    Country US( Miami, Florida)
    Fashion- Guys: BIG belt buckles, overuse of hair gel on stupid looking spikes, falling pants despite the belt, big shoes to imply they were packing more... Girls: REALLY TIGHT pants, hoop earrings almost half the size of their faces, dyed hair.
    Music- Idk it was mostly Reggaeton in Spanish that bothered my ears ( I dont listen to music in general, but I dislike this genre in particular.)
    Lingo- badly butchered Spanish with some English words mixed in.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalis View Post
    MMO-C, where a shill for Putin cares about democracy in the US.

10+ Year Old Account
    School uniform so nothing >.< You were cool if you walked around with just the polo shirt and possible a button or two undone >.<

Year: 95-99
    Fashion: JNCO, white college ball caps, long belts.
    Music: rap, basically the pinnacle of rap music. Techno was starting to grow in popularity.
    Lingo: fresh, tight, whack.

10+ Year Old Account
    Canada

Business and formal wear was trendy among the men. It started in junior year with the football team wearing dress shirts+ties (often in pink, for some reason) on game days. Then it spread to the other sports teams, then the student body as a whole, with everyone dressing up on game days for any sport. Then the football team got onto a winning streak in senior year and the team started wearing them every day. Then they escalated to 2 and 3 piece suits. It peaked during the city championship when the team captain started showing up in a tux.

Warning : Above post may contain snark and/or sarcasm. Try reparsing with the /s argument before replying.
    What the world has learned is that America is never more than one election away from losing its goddamned mind
    Quote Originally Posted by Howard Tayler
    Political conservatism is just atavism with extra syllables and a necktie.
    Me on Elite : Dangerous | My WoW characters

Deleted
    France

Skate clothing
    Eastpack and Jansport backpacks
    Ipods and nokias

10+ Year Old Account
    There's something in the water... Florida
    Quote Originally Posted by Masark View Post
    Canada

Business and formal wear was trendy among the men. It started in junior year with the football team wearing dress shirts+ties (often in pink, for some reason) on game days. Then it spread to the other sports teams, then the student body as a whole, with everyone dressing up on game days for any sport. Then the football team got onto a winning streak in senior year and the team started wearing them every day. Then they escalated to 2 and 3 piece suits. It peaked during the city championship when the team captain started showing up in a tux.
    Lol that sounds ridiculous.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalis View Post
    MMO-C, where a shill for Putin cares about democracy in the US.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vizardlorde View Post
    Lol that sounds ridiculous.
    Yes, but sharp-looking ridiculous. Was a lot better than many other fashion trends noted above.

Warning : Above post may contain snark and/or sarcasm. Try reparsing with the /s argument before replying.
    What the world has learned is that America is never more than one election away from losing its goddamned mind
    Quote Originally Posted by Howard Tayler
    Political conservatism is just atavism with extra syllables and a necktie.
    Me on Elite : Dangerous | My WoW characters

10+ Year Old Account
    every one of my key strokes is actually a brush stroke on the canvas that is the off-topic forum
    Year- 1985

Year ( if you feel comfortable ) - I graduated 2003 or 2004, I cant remember which.
    Country - Sweden
    Fashion - Rugby shirts/golfy shirts, jeans, blazer, no dirty sneakers. "Tidy shit".
    Music - Depends, Moby was pretty popular among my class mates. I was one of the few that was really into house, not Avicii kind of house, but DJs like Danny Howells, John Digweed etc
    Lingo - Swedish, English for the IB students.
    Last edited by Jackmoves; 2014-03-27 at 05:58 PM.
    The nerve is called the "nerve of awareness". You cant dissect it. Its a current that runs up the center of your spine. I dont know if any of you have sat down, crossed your legs, smoked DMT, and watch what happens... but what happens to me is this big thing goes RRRRRRRRRAAAAAWWW! up my spine and flashes in my brain... well apparently thats whats going to happen if I do this stuff...

Quote Originally Posted by Jayburner View Post
    Best band ever, can't believe they didn't get the votes for Rock and roll hall of fame.

skinny jeans and hipster hair
    "I was a normal baby for 30 seconds, then ninjas stole my mamma" - Deadpool
    "so what do we do?" "well jack, you stand there and say 'gee rocket raccoon I'm so glad you brought that Unfeasibly large cannon with you..' and i go like this BRAKKA BRAKKA BRAKKA" - Rocket Raccoon

FC: 3437-3046-3552

10+ Year Old Account
    Eh, I never cared for fads at all. Even during high school in 06-07 I was still wearing t-shirts, jeans, hoodies, drawing and listening to dance music.

I still do the same stuff now in 2014.

Year: ~2006
    Fashion: Emo / Scene / Punk & Tracksuits / Jogging Bottoms / Hoodies
    Music: Emo / Metal / Punk / Rock (My Chemical Romance, Fall Out Boy, Lost Prophets)
    Lingo: Innit / Bring it / Braap Braap / Bulakasha!

I had my own little Emo phase, dyed hair, darker clothes and such, but some people during my school years took it way to far, and have continued into their adult lives with that sense of fashion, which to me seems rather odd. The alternative really was being a Chav, so the choices you had were really awesome. Look like an idiot, or ... Look like an idiot.

The Unstoppable Force Super Kami Dende's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I couldn't really say myself. Since I was in my own tightknit group of friends that didn't really follow any Fads, we just enjoyed what we enjoyed at the time and changed when we got bored.

Don't really remember what other people did :/

Most trendy thing in my group was probably Video Games and Newgrounds.com

Quote Originally Posted by Asthreon View Post
    I couldn't really say myself. Since I was in my own tightknit group of friends that didn't really follow any Fads, we just enjoyed what we enjoyed at the time and changed when we got bored.

Don't really remember what other people did :/

Most trendy thing in my group was probably Video Games and Newgrounds.com
    Oh shit, I forgot about newgrounds, man I use to go on that so much. Even for the little animated series people would make. Damn have not been on there in yearsss.