Poll: With what will Blizzard counter the launch of The Elder Scrolls Online?

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst
LastLast
    ESO isn't good I don't see why Blizzard would need to do anything about it specifically.

Quote Originally Posted by Xeones View Post
    ESO isn't good I don't see why Blizzard would need to do anything about it specifically.
    rift wasn't good (took over 1,000,000 subs), swtor wasn't good (took over 1,000,000 subs), gw2 wasn't good (took over 1,000,000 subs), tera wasn't good, etc

every MMO has took a chunk out of wow. it's why wow is sitting at 7,000,000 subs when it had 12,000,000 3 years ago. wow will continue to decline, new mmos will continue to take chunks out of it and eventually, the big mmos will have 2,000,000 subs.

the days of 1 option for MMORPGs is gone. the days of 10,000,000 paying subs is gone (and never was really there, but 6,000,000 pay as you go asians made it seem that way)

the landscape has changed. blizz has to worry about a lot these days. they were losing tens of thousands of subs per day for 3 years straight. that's a lot of bleeding cash. eso will take a large chunk from wow, but a lot of eso is gonna be on the consoles. this is the year of ESO whether anyone likes it or not. nobody has released an mmorpg across 4 platforms in the matter of months, ever

what eso is doing is a big deal, kind of like what blizz did in 2004
    a lot of wow players are gonna jump for wildstar too. you can't see these aren't god mmos, that's just a lie. i'm not playing most of them, but they're high quality, creative, well thought-out games that will be a topic of discussion at blizz hq

Quote Originally Posted by sarecho View Post
    rift wasn't good (took over 1,000,000 subs), swtor wasn't good (took over 1,000,000 subs), gw2 wasn't good (took over 1,000,000 subs), tera wasn't good, etc

every MMO has took a chunk out of wow. it's why wow is sitting at 7,000,000 subs when it had 12,000,000 3 years ago. wow will continue to decline, new mmos will continue to take chunks out of it and eventually, the big mmos will have 2,000,000 subs.

the days of 1 option for MMORPGs is gone. the days of 10,000,000 paying subs is gone (and never was really there, but 6,000,000 pay as you go asians made it seem that way)

the landscape has changed. blizz has to worry about a lot these days. they were losing tens of thousands of subs per day for 3 years straight. that's a lot of bleeding cash. eso will take a large chunk from wow, but a lot of eso is gonna be on the consoles. this is the year of ESO whether anyone likes it or not. nobody has released an mmorpg across 4 platforms in the matter of months, ever

what eso is doing is a big deal, kind of like what blizz did in 2004
    a lot of wow players are gonna jump for wildstar too. you can't see these aren't god mmos, that's just a lie. i'm not playing most of them, but they're high quality, creative, well thought-out games that will be a topic of discussion at blizz hq
    The irony is that none of those games took subscribers. The quarter that RIFT was released, WOW gained subscribers, The quarter that SWTOR was relaesed the needle barely moved. WOW has never really lost subscribers to other western games. It has lost subscribers because of the first month of Catacyclsm being brutal on puggers and it lost subs because of one game.

The only game that actually took subscribers was an asian free2play game which took all of those ´not really subscribers´.. which is why Blizzard lost like 2.5M subscribers in 1 year, but did not lose revenues, because those subscribers were barely paying anything to begin with. Again, takes like 5 minutes to look at Blizzards earnings to realize why they are not panicking about those subscription loses.. because they are still making the same amount of money without them. They have never lost a signicant amount of the $15/month people except that first month after Cata.

- - - Updated - - -

Here is what I see happening. Blizzard will release the artwork for a tree, and the tin-foil hat people will point to it as them fearing the release of TESO. Blizzard will tweet something and the tin-foil hat people will point to it as them trying to mess with TESO. And God forbid they release Dranaii female character art in the same month... that just would be proof positive that WOW think they are going to lose millions of subs.

if you take any week in the past 3 months, there have been interesting stuff released with no relation to another game, but anything that IS released the week of TESO willl be seen as proof.

10+ Year Old Account
    They don't have to do anything. There's nothing about the Elder Scrolls MMO that comes close to anything WoW has already done.

Quote Originally Posted by DomesticViolence View Post
    They don't have to do anything. There's nothing about the Elder Scrolls MMO that comes close to anything WoW has already done.
    Exactly, TESO is going to bring in 5M Skyrim players who never played an MMO before. After a few months, most of them are going to unsubscribe and just go back to playing Skyrim mods. TESO as an MMO can´t compete with what is already out there. The only thing it can do is get new players who haven´t played other games. There just is no reason to pay a subscription to a game that is just a bad version of Skyrim.

Quote Originally Posted by Azrile View Post
    Exactly, TESO is going to bring in 5M Skyrim players who never played an MMO before. After a few months, most of them are going to unsubscribe and just go back to playing Skyrim mods. TESO as an MMO can´t compete with what is already out there. The only thing it can do is get new players who haven´t played other games. There just is no reason to pay a subscription to a game that is just a bad version of Skyrim.

How did you possibly come to any of these conclusions, other then just making assumptions about how you feel about something.

Quote Originally Posted by Wyattbw09 View Post
    How did you possibly come to any of these conclusions, other then just making assumptions about how you feel about something.
    reading player reactions to beta. The MMO locusts basically say it is a very mediocre MMO that offers nothing really new and has very crappy combat mechanics and animations.

The Skyrim player reaction is that it is a very bad version of Skryim and there is no reason to pay a subsciption to play a game that is so similar to Skyrim, but not as good.

But meh.. we are at that time again where these two games are ´perfect´... TESO will be announced as f2p 3 months after launch, and will be fully f2p within a year.

Deleted
    They'll probably laugh themselves to death.

Quote Originally Posted by Wyattbw09 View Post
    I played the beta. That is pretty much what it is. Be happy it atleast tried to copy Skyrim and not Morrowind Combat, that would have been a laugh.

Before you tell me I am full of shit or anything and so is everyone else here, blah blah blah. Bethesda is not making ESO, Zenimax is. Todd Howard has said he does not want to be a part of this project because he thinks it will not be a success.

Think about that for a second. Let that sink in ok?

The guy who leads Bethesda and is always hyping there games, Todd Howard, wants nothing to do with this Project.

That should tell you everything you need to know. Seriously though, the game LOOKS great, I will not deny that, but it plays like shit, just awful. It may attract a PvP Crowd for a bit, but not for long. The PvE is very much like Path of Exile and Diablo (in group content) and is very repetitive. It is just not fun.

That people Thinks some patch notes is gonna counter a whole game really shows how awful this ESO really is?

"Oh shit we need to counter a game relase, lets post some images of draenei female model"

Srsly wtf?

Deleted
    Blizzard won't counter anything, they can't even fix they're own game. Wow has been falling apart ever since BC..it's prime is long gone, the mostly populated market is asian, and we all know how asians like anime so yeah..TESO will take some chump of wow subscribers, but they're fanbase is much bigger anyway and much more mature. After 5mil beta accounts on PC (skyrim on PC has sold 15% of all copies), we are all about to witness much greater subscription number then WoW at it's peak, when it comes on console. (and i honestly never understood why people prefer playing skyrim on consoles lol) I mean cmon i've been playing wow for so many years, and all dying fans for wow keep claiming teso animations suck, its boring blah blah..why even bring an argument, when wow animations have been the same for 10 years? and they are so damn outdated >.< besides what is there interesting in wow so much, to say teso sucks? another invalid argument, blizzard has ruined the game so much, that all the zones except the maxlevel zones are totally abandoned..This year is gonna be horrible for wow, but mostly cause of wildstar, its targeted at exactly the same audience as wow (at least these days), so yeah thats the only thing blizzard is gonna be worried about.

10+ Year Old Account
    I think they already did with the boost/pre-order. They did the same thing when SWTOR was launched. Shortly before SWTOR they had the yearly agreement thing.

I dont think they will do anything, its not like this is the first game thats launched, that after a month everybody came back to playing wow.

Quote Originally Posted by Azrile View Post
    The irony is that none of those games took subscribers. The quarter that RIFT was released, WOW gained subscribers, The quarter that SWTOR was relaesed the needle barely moved. WOW has never really lost subscribers to other western games. It has lost subscribers because of the first month of Catacyclsm being brutal on puggers and it lost subs because of one game.

The only game that actually took subscribers was an asian free2play game which took all of those ´not really subscribers´.. which is why Blizzard lost like 2.5M subscribers in 1 year, but did not lose revenues, because those subscribers were barely paying anything to begin with. Again, takes like 5 minutes to look at Blizzards earnings to realize why they are not panicking about those subscription loses.. because they are still making the same amount of money without them. They have never lost a signicant amount of the $15/month people except that first month after Cata.

- - - Updated - - -

Here is what I see happening. Blizzard will release the artwork for a tree, and the tin-foil hat people will point to it as them fearing the release of TESO. Blizzard will tweet something and the tin-foil hat people will point to it as them trying to mess with TESO. And God forbid they release Dranaii female character art in the same month... that just would be proof positive that WOW think they are going to lose millions of subs.

if you take any week in the past 3 months, there have been interesting stuff released with no relation to another game, but anything that IS released the week of TESO willl be seen as proof.
    wow gained subs 3 quarters the past 3 years, the MMORPG genre grew as a whole. wow lost around 40% of its customers.
    you really think me or anyone else with good sense thinks wow lost 5,000,000 customers and they didn't support these other games lol? so they quit wow AND the genre while all these NEW players who had never played an MMORPG picked up one of these OTHER games.....come on

that's not even logical. wow lost subs to all these games. it's just a fact

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Hostagecat View Post
    I dont think they will do anything, its not like this is the first game thats launched, that after a month everybody came back to playing wow.
    for 3 years wow lost tens of thousands of subs per day on average. they're not coming back. these other MMORPGs are successful. accept it. you can love wow all you want but you can't make up lies to validate it. the type of person wow is going for these days are the type of person who will play many MMORPGs at once. back and forth. the casuals who change their minds on what they love the most like the weather. that's the target audience, not the people who want to play 1 mmorpg 16 hours per day. the majority of players and income is gonna be the flaky casuals. if they play 1 day a month and pay for a month, blizz is perfectly happy
    Last edited by sarecho; 2014-03-28 at 02:40 AM.

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    Yes, they will! How they will counter it .... maybe with Diablo III xpack release a little close to the date!

Quote Originally Posted by theWocky View Post

6 June 2014 - Wildstar - this will probably not sell as well as ESO (I predict at least 3 million ESO sales in the first two weeks)
    ROFL^^^^ 3million in two weeks? What are you smoking?

Quote Originally Posted by sarecho View Post
    wow gained subs 3 quarters the past 3 years, the MMORPG genre grew as a whole. wow lost around 40% of its customers.
    you really think me or anyone else with good sense thinks wow lost 5,000,000 customers and they didn't support these other games lol? so they quit wow AND the genre while all these NEW players who had never played an MMORPG picked up one of these OTHER games.....come on

that's not even logical. wow lost subs to all these games. it's just a fact

- - - Updated - - -

for 3 years wow lost tens of thousands of subs per day on average. they're not coming back. these other MMORPGs are successful. accept it. you can love wow all you want but you can't make up lies to validate it. the type of person wow is going for these days are the type of person who will play many MMORPGs at once. back and forth. the casuals who change their minds on what they love the most like the weather. that's the target audience, not the people who want to play 1 mmorpg 16 hours per day. the majority of players and income is gonna be the flaky casuals. if they play 1 day a month and pay for a month, blizz is perfectly happy
    Where did you infer in what i said that these other games are not successful. Also, just go into stormwind in a month and you will see tons of folks back from there playing ESO or Wildstar vacations. It has happened for every other game, sorry if i cant excited for another game launch, but blizzard does not usually react nor do i think they will in the future. By the way i'm playing Age of Conan right now, not a WOW, because well its fun to have a change of pace.

10+ Year Old Account
    I voted WODCON1, but they don't need to do anything.
    ⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥ "In short, people are idiots who don't really understand anything." ⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥
    [/url]
    ⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥ ⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥

Quote Originally Posted by iceberg265 View Post
    ROFL^^^^ 3million in two weeks? What are you smoking?
    I think they might already have that number from pre-sales. Unless you were inferring that number was low. In which case ignore :P

On topic. They'll do nothing. Didn't someone from Blizzard recently get quoted as saying something along the lines of "sure, go play ESO/Wildstar. We'll see you again in WoD" ?

Blizzard has nothing to prove here.