Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Game betas/releases that you felt disenfranchised by

So for quite a while now I have been following a game called Albion Online which is basically a cross platform mmorpg. Recently the game has just gone in to alpha testing and the company are running lots of promotions and key give-aways.
    I understand that the company need to promote the game and it will only help spread word but it leaves a bitter taste in my mouth. As somebody who followed the game from very early stages, who passed it on to his friends and contributed to the development discussions I have to watch as random newcomers get a chance to play it first.

It reminds me a lot of Warhammer Online.

If you remember this was an mmorpg licensed by the tabletop gaming company Games Workshop. I had been a player and a collector of Games Workshop products for many years before this and was so excited about it. I signed up for beta as soon as possible and the months passed. Then I had to watch as invites were sent. Wave after wave went out and I got nothing. I knew people who had never played an mmorpg before and never heard of Games Workshop who got invites. In the end I never got an invite at all. When release came I boycotted the game and have never played it since. This may sound like something done out of spite but at the time I felt completely disenfranchised and wanted nothing to do with it.

Do you gave any similar experiences?

If I was invited to MoP WoW Beta I might still be playing. At the time I was probably top 25 smartest mages in world. I think I had a thread on Elitist Jerks forum. But I didn't have that stupid fucking annual pass since I didn't care about D3. Sooo. Ya. They never picked me.

I didn't have seniority or anything like that and I understood about annual pass, but when MMO-Champion had so many keys that they gave them away randomly in contests and in IRC and I still never got an email from blizzard, that was adding insult to injury.

15+ Year Old Account
    Well, played WoW since vanilla, and been signed up for all their betas since then. The only one i ever got was SC2, in the very last wave.. Not really bothered by it though, it's important to pick at random to get feedback from all sorts of players.. If they filled 80% of the space with dedicated long-time fans, the feedback would be incredibly biased.

Quote Originally Posted by Blueobelisk View Post
    If I was invited to MoP WoW Beta I might still be playing. At the time I was probably top 25 smartest mages in world. I think I had a thread on Elitist Jerks forum. But I didn't have that stupid fucking annual pass since I didn't care about D3. Sooo. Ya. They never picked me.

I didn't have seniority or anything like that and I understood about annual pass, but when MMO-Champion had so many keys that they gave them away randomly in contests and in IRC and I still never got an email from blizzard, that was adding insult to injury.
    You sound awfully entitled.. How on earth would Blizzard know that you "deserved" it? And why would it be fair for others if they gave you special treatment?
    I would have liked beta too, as a loyal costumer, but random is random...

Honestly, if you quit over not getting into beta, you should probably move on.

Rofl, queue the blizzard defenders?

I never said I quit because I didn't get into beta.

Claims to be one of the "smartest" mages at the time of MoP beta invs, THINKS he had a thread on EJ and his only threads in the mage forum here he is asking what spec he should use on fights. Puff your chest more lil guy.

Post constructively. Infracted. -Lucetia
    Last edited by Lucetia; 2014-03-28 at 04:34 AM.

Last post in this thread since you guys seem to argue with personal attacks.

1. Yes, if I had an MoP Beta Key I might still be playing WoW. And? If McDonalds gave me a free McFlurry or some item they sell then I might be inclined to buy a McFlurry for lunch one day. That doesn't mean that because McDonalds didn't give me a McFlurry that I stopped going there.

Quote Originally Posted by smegmage View Post
    THINKS he had a thread on EJ and his only threads in the mage forum
    2. http://forums.elitistjerks.com/topic...discussion-51/ Thread is incredibly old and EJ formatting changed, but I was being humble. I don't feel like proving what a "great character" I was. You're inclined to believe what you want.

3. I don't people are realizing my point. I wasn't entitled to beta access. I just didn't like that blizzard never gave me (or a few friends) keys but they could give a bunch for random website promotions. Despite what you may think because I don't play WoW, I was a fan.

4. Lol this thread is about Beta invites and I shared one. You guys seem to have something against me for no reason. Doesn't really bother me though.

PM me if you really think you can change my mind. (If you wanna quote and "laugh" then, please continue.)

They should first cater to everyone willing to stand in line before offering promotions which aid in their business and is a way of saying thanks to those who promote their games, such as Curse? You reek of entitlement, time to move on.

If Blizzard really cared about quality player feedback during their Beta q/a process, they would find a different way to give them out.

Rofl, queue the blizzard defenders?

I never said I quit because I didn't get into beta.
    If I was invited to MoP WoW Beta I might still be playing.
    You should be a lawyer.

Also lololol

At the time I was probably top 25 smartest mages in world.
    Where do I find that metric.

Stopped reading.

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Probably top 25 most humble mages in world too, I reckon.

No, because I don't feel entitled to shit simply by virtue of existing, being a fan or something, or promoting something. If I get a beta key for a game without doing anything, cool. If I don't get a beta key for a game despite being super active about it, it's disappointing, but oh well. Especially when a company is supposed to magically know that I exist and am a big fan of a given franchise.

Nobody owes you a beta key. Period. If you feel entitled to one due to your fandom of a franchise, then that's just silly. Random invites are random, because it's generally not worth the time to scrutinize thousands upon thousands (tens/hundreds of thousands, maybe even millions) of alpha/beta applications to see if someone proves they're a "hardcore fan" of the franchise.

Getting into any beta isn't that difficult if you really want it that bad.

Take blizzard games for example, battle.net accounts cost nothing, create 20 accounts, go to the beta op in pages and check everything, eventually one account will get an invite unless you're extremely unlucky.

10+ Year Old Account
    Battlefield 4. EVERYONE told them it was still a broken mess in the beta but no they ignored us and released it anyway to guess what? Break!

5 better be the best battlefield game every made or I will never been playing another one.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Lumocolor View Post
    Getting into any beta isn't that difficult if you really want it that bad.

Take blizzard games for example, battle.net accounts cost nothing, create 20 accounts, go to the beta op in pages and check everything, eventually one account will get an invite unless you're extremely unlucky.
    That. Or email them and say you would really like to help test it. 99% of the time a dev will send you a code.
    Aye mate

Deleted
    Never ever say something like this on a public forum. Even if it was real, keep it for yourself and people who know you. Here you're just asking to be slaughtered.

And on topic ... no I never really participated in any game development so ... I didn't care that much. I have always been a bit sad that Blizzard didn't give any "reward" to their vanilla players like an automatic Beta access or something, that's all.
    Last edited by mmocb1939ccd9e; 2014-03-28 at 05:21 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't understand what they had to do with anything? at the same time I was ranked in the top 20 for hunters in the world. I don't see why that should get me beta access.
    Aye mate

Last post in this thread since you guys seem to argue with personal attacks.

1. Yes, if I had an MoP Beta Key I might still be playing WoW. And? If McDonalds gave me a free McFlurry or some item they sell then I might be inclined to buy a McFlurry for lunch one day. That doesn't mean that because McDonalds didn't give me a McFlurry that I stopped going there.

Worst analogy ever.

What you appear to be saying is, if you had been given MoP beta key ALL those months ago, you might still be playing WoW. Which indicates you are not playing WoW any more. Why not just say either way if you are, or are not?

Why spit your dummy because you didn't get a beta?

Does being a "smart" mage make you worthy of a beta invite? Most "beta testers" only want to test the game for themselves, they just want to play the game early and not interested in submitting bug reports. You seem to fit into that category too.

diablo 3 - rather boring compared to poe / d2
    starbound - quite limited so far, compared to terraria.
    minecraft - nowhere near as good as they hyped it to be.
    hearthstone - lol how can people pay money for this shit?

Quote Originally Posted by Stockers View Post
    Worst analogy ever.

What you appear to be saying is, if you had been given MoP beta key ALL those months ago, you might still be playing WoW. Which indicates you are not playing WoW any more. Why not just say either way if you are, or are not?

Why spit your dummy because you didn't get a beta?

Does being a "smart" mage make you worthy of a beta invite? Most "beta testers" only want to test the game for themselves, they just want to play the game early and not interested in submitting bug reports. You seem to fit into that category too.
    This is severly off topic.

The analogy is that he lost interest in the game, where a beta invite may've kept his interest for longer.

His so called mage-cred dosen't have anything to do with it.