Pit Lord
    10+ Year Old Account

H:Thok, should I respec to Demo for Mortal Cleave?

Just started 10-man H:Thok progression last night (got him to 35% on second pull).
    I run destro and averaged 400k+ dps (2 pulls, small sample size), but we don't have someone to provide mortal cleave to reduce Thok's heal.

I am not great at demo, but wondered if the boss heal reduction of Mortal Cleave was necessary/worth it?
    Would you take Mannoroth's Fury and GrimSac for this fight for the bats or Archimonde's Darkness for the extra damage on the boss?

We are having no trouble getting the bats down before phase change btw.
    “I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: ‘O Lord, make my enemies ridiculous.’ And God granted it.” -- Voltaire

"He who awaits much can expect little" -- Gabriel Garcia Marquez

It's a good fight for Demo (I've beaten other locks playing Affli) and if you're decent at the spec it's probably worth it to give the healing reduction. I haven't tried being in charge of applying it though so other people will have to give advice on that. I can imagine it being a bitch for your pet to keep up with the boss when he's running fast.

I'm not sure what you mean with talents but you should go GoServ for double Felstorms on the bats and either AD/KJC. As Affli/Destro you go GoSup with an Imp out to help with dispels (and KJC for better uptime on Incinerate/MG during kite phase, but AD is fine too).
    Last edited by Bonkura; 2014-03-28 at 01:40 PM.

The thing is with mortal cleave, it reduces the healing by 25%, but then if you can't play the specc properly, you'd probably not gain anything from that as you'd do much less damage yourself. If you know what I mean. Although yes, if you can manage to play demo at a competent level, and push out the dps, then it is going to be worth it for sure.

MF isn't really worth taking, go for Archimonde's + Serv and get 2 felstorms up for the bats.

U guys don't have any Hunter, rogue or warrior dps to give the debuff?

Pit Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by JV Chequer View Post
    U guys don't have any Hunter, rogue or warrior dps to give the debuff?
    10-man raid. Our warrior is a tank, no rogue, but we do have a hunter. I see Widow Shot puts a 30 sec mortal wounds debuff. That should work fine.

Question on Mortal Cleave/Legion Strike: Does it maintain 100% uptime on the debuff or will I need to handle it manually?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Bonkura View Post
    I'm not sure what you mean with talents but you should go GoServ for double Felstorms on the bats and either AD/KJC. As Affli/Destro you go GoSup with an Imp out to help with dispels (and KJC for better uptime on Incinerate/MG during kite phase, but AD is fine too).
    I was asking specifically about Demo, which you answered (thank you). With Destro I was in fact running GSup with Imp for the dispel.
    “I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: ‘O Lord, make my enemies ridiculous.’ And God granted it.” -- Voltaire

Quote Originally Posted by Scathbais View Post
    10-man raid. Our warrior is a tank, no rogue, but we do have a hunter. I see Widow Shot puts a 30 sec mortal wounds debuff. That should work fine.

Question on Mortal Cleave/Legion Strike: Does it maintain 100% uptime on the debuff or will I need to handle it manually?
    Since 5.4 maintain 100% uptime.

Quote Originally Posted by JV Chequer View Post
    Since 5.4 maintain 100% uptime.
    That assumes the pet has 100% uptime on the boss, which isn't that likely at high stacks during fixate phase.

Do not go Service as others have mentioned. The debuff is weaker and Supremacy's debuff.

http://www.wowhead.com/spell=30213/legion-strike

http://www.wowhead.com/spell=115625/mortal-cleave

During the fixate phase, you will not have 100% uptime. Best bet is to resummon pet near the cage just before last fixate ends so the pet and boss can run towards each other as the boss prepares to heal.

Stay destro tell your hunter to use widow venom.

Thok is actually one of the better fights for demonology in my opinion. You can easily work around the interrupts with meta up, and get a huge damage reduction from the armor bonus at the same time. Strong aoe for the bats and it has probably the best movement out of all 3 specs for the kite phases with meta and leap.

But like someone already mentioned, if you aren't great at it then it's probably not worth swapping out of a spec you are comfortable with just for the mortal strike debuff.

I'm pretty sure deafening screech negates armor.

Pit Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Was an easy fight after all, given our raid's avg ilevel is in the 570s. Took about 14 attempts. I stayed Destro, the hunter used Widow venom and thanks for everyone's comments.