Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Why won't the U.S media talk about Turkey and Syria?

All I keep seeing on CNN's website for the past 3 weeks it seems is flight 370 information. (Yes, I know cnn is a bad place to get info, but its the principle of the thing). Turkey and Syria seem to be censored by American media outlets. Turkey leaders admitted to a planned false flag terror attack to justify a war with Syria. Turkey even blocked Twitter and Youtube when they suspected recordings would be leaked online. Yet... flight 370 ocean parts is all I keep hearing about. Either, the big national news organizations don't want us to know anything and are milking flight 370 as a distraction or... yep, that it. Thats all I can think of for the reason they are milking flight 370 lol.

Ya'lls thoughts?

People want to hear about Flight 370 so people will watch CNN for it, the more people who watch CNN the more money they make.
    "Oh, you know what? You could bitch about anything couldn't you?" - Leonard L. Church

Deleted
    News about conflict in the middle east, yeah, you only had that for the last 15 years or so. Also, there might not be enough news to actually cover it indeepth, and they might have enough integrity to not just make up stories?

There is no cover up, nor are the news outlets trying to divert our attention. It's simple. Most people don't care about Syria or turkey...really it's that simple. An airplane that vanishes mysteriously is an attention grabber. it's enigmatic. It gets us right in the curiosity bone. The news stations don't run news that is the most important based on geopolitical importance or what will impact us the most on a society level. They run news stories that entertain us. Period.
    Get a grip man! It's CHEESE!

Syria is a burned out story. After 2 years of stalemate few people care unless it is about the stalemate being broken. These leaked plots don't change the math much.

Lost white girls and downed planes (which American's can relate to, and is a mystery), and natural disasters (mudslide) is what CNN readers are more likely to be interested in.

If you want to hear about Syria, I'm sure it was discussed in the Diane Reme show's international hour this morning. Where Putin and the Pope wasn't eating up the clock.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lemposs View Post
    News about conflict in the middle east, yeah, you only had that for the last 15 years or so. Also, there might not be enough news to actually cover it indeepth, and they might have enough integrity to not just make up stories?
    There's been conflicts in the middle east as far back as human records go.., I doubt anyone cares at this stage honestly since it's all bound in some idiotic racial / religious "issue".

Quote Originally Posted by Holyshnikies View Post
    All I keep seeing on CNN's website for the past 3 weeks it seems is flight 370 information. (Yes, I know cnn is a bad place to get info, but its the principle of the thing). Turkey and Syria seem to be censored by American media outlets. Turkey leaders admitted to a planned false flag terror attack to justify a war with Syria. Turkey even blocked Twitter and Youtube when they suspected recordings would be leaked online. Yet... flight 370 ocean parts is all I keep hearing about. Either, the big national news organizations don't want us to know anything and are milking flight 370 as a distraction or... yep, that it. Thats all I can think of for the reason they are milking flight 370 lol.

Ya'lls thoughts?
    I've seen and heard about it, but it definitely isn't getting a lot of attention. At the same time, I can't say I really care or that I'm surprised. Syria has been doing some bad shit and has been annoying its neighbors for quite some time. If it escalates then it'll get some more news coverage. But for now, this is about as exciting or new as Israel firing a few missiles over the border.

10+ Year Old Account
    We're too busy talking about the missing flight, the Obamacare deadline that apparently isn't a deadline, Crimea, and the NCAA tournament.
    Quote Originally Posted by nôrps View Post
    I just think you retards are starting to get ridiculous with your childish language.

Because the US media made an ass out of itself with it's failed efforts to convince the world that they wanted to carpet bomb Syria, killing thousands, to punish 1 guy who likely wouldn't even die in said attacks, for killing hundreds with chemical weapons (but not for the hundreds of thousands he maimed, killed or displaced using conventional weapons).

They know they would get called out for their embarrassing hypocrisy if they even considered commenting on the Syria / Turkey situation.

10+ Year Old Account
    Because a while ago news programs stopped being about keeping the public informed and started to be entertainment that has to compete with other shows for ratings.

See, back when the concept of a news show was created, it was done so in exchange for access to the public air-waves. The idea being that television stations would dedicate a given percentage of air time to public service in exchange for being able to use the rest of their time for commercial purposes. Fast forward to today where we no longer broadcast over radio waves and thus no longer need to maintain that social contract. So instead the "news" is just like any other program on TV, where ratings and endorsements come first and foremost. Frankly, Turkey and Syria are not going to sell cars and teeth whitening kits, so it gets little to no coverage.
    It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning.

-Kujako-

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't get it. You know about the Turkey and Syria thing but media outlets aren't covering it?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by pacox View Post
    I don't get it. You know about the Turkey and Syria thing but media outlets aren't covering it?
    It is possible to get ones news from a source other then a three letter US TV station.
    It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning.

-Kujako-

Quote Originally Posted by Banzhe View Post
    There's been conflicts in the middle east as far back as human records go.., I doubt anyone cares at this stage honestly since it's all bound in some idiotic racial / religious "issue".

It's neither racial nor religious.

Because nobody cares, American news media serves the exact same purpose as all television; to generate ad revenue. People don't watch boring sitcoms, people don't watch boring dramas, and people don't watch boring news.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by pacox View Post
    Have not been much media coverage at all where i live, Reddit is the sole reason i knew about this at all. I thought an invasion of Syria by Turkey that supposedly happened would be something major enough but i guess not.
    Last edited by zealo; 2014-03-28 at 06:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by poser765 View Post
    There is no cover up, nor are the news outlets trying to divert our attention. It's simple. Most people don't care about Syria or turkey...really it's that simple. An airplane that vanishes mysteriously is an attention grabber. it's enigmatic. It gets us right in the curiosity bone. The news stations don't run news that is the most important based on geopolitical importance or what will impact us the most on a society level. They run news stories that entertain us. Period.
    it's a plane crash. I really don't see what's so interesting about it, at least compared to the other stuff that's going on in the world atm.

there is always something to bash Obama personally for on Fox, and MSNBC and CNN are too wrapped up in the flight to cover anything worthwhile, as always.

Quote Originally Posted by Doylez View Post
    it's a plane crash. I really don't see what's so interesting about it, at least compared to the other stuff that's going on in the world atm.
    Because its a mystery, mysteries are fun. Following clues, solving puzzles, every episode is a cliff hanger. Two shithole countries fighting is boring and meaningless.

I cant even find coverage of it on BBC or aljezeera, I was starting to think it wasn't even real only place I have heard about it is here on MMO-C.
    Gamdwelf the Mage

Quote Originally Posted by Theodarzna View Post
    I'm calling it, Republicans will hold congress in 2018 and Trump will win again in 2020.

Quote Originally Posted by Gheld View Post
    Because the US media made an ass out of itself with it's failed efforts to convince the world that they wanted to carpet bomb Syria, killing thousands, to punish 1 guy who likely wouldn't even die in said attacks, for killing hundreds with chemical weapons (but not for the hundreds of thousands he maimed, killed or displaced using conventional weapons).

They know they would get called out for their embarrassing hypocrisy if they even considered commenting on the Syria / Turkey situation.
    Pretty sure the US isn't concerned about being called hypocrites...