Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jester Joe View Post
    Well, I usually aim for perfect attendance, but my complaint about it at my college, more than two absences either decreases your grade, or is an automatic failure.
    But two is only allowed if your class meets twice a week, once a week, you only get one absence. It's a bit overkill.
    That's usually going to be a 12 or 13 class semester, though, so if you're missing 2 classes, that's like 15% of the class time. And the grade reduction isn't that big a deal, really; it's a penalty, but it won't stop you passing the course if you're showing up and doing the work.

Your grades really don't matter nearly as much as people think, in college. Case in point; I got a 0.82 GPA in my first year. I got better, earned a BA w/ honours, got my B. Ed., and now because the teaching industry is glutted and full-time work is hard to find, I'm going back to do an MA next year.

That 0.82 in my first year hasn't kept me from advancing my education. And it's not like employers ask to see a transcript; they typically just want proof of graduation. Your grades become really important for things like maintaining a scholarship, but if you're on a scholarship, you really shouldn't be skipping. And if you're going to miss like half the course due to serious illness, you should be withdrawing, so it doesn't count against you.

Quote Originally Posted by Ragu4 View Post
    My biggest regret was going to community college and getting my associates degree. It took away my core buffer classes, taught me NOTHING about progressing from high school to a 4-year, and was WAY too easy. I graduated with a 3.8, would have had a 4.0 but made a few C's during my last semester due to an extreme lack of caring.
    Well, some Community Colleges have high quality instructors. Upon learning that only the CC students in the class knew about the topic he was introducing, a professor of mine quipped that the CC students were the only ones that had received a good education.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zantos View Post
    There are no 2 species that are 100% identical.
    Quote Originally Posted by Redditor
    can you leftist twits just fucking admit that quantum mechanics has fuck all to do with thermodynamics, that shit is just a pose?

Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    That's usually going to be a 12 or 13 class semester, though, so if you're missing 2 classes, that's like 15% of the class time. And the grade reduction isn't that big a deal, really; it's a penalty, but it won't stop you passing the course if you're showing up and doing the work.

Your grades really don't matter nearly as much as people think, in college. Case in point; I got a 0.82 GPA in my first year. I got better, earned a BA w/ honours, got my B. Ed., and now because the teaching industry is glutted and full-time work is hard to find, I'm going back to do an MA next year.

That 0.82 in my first year hasn't kept me from advancing my education. And it's not like employers ask to see a transcript; they typically just want proof of graduation. Your grades become really important for things like maintaining a scholarship, but if you're on a scholarship, you really shouldn't be skipping. And if you're going to miss like half the course due to serious illness, you should be withdrawing, so it doesn't count against you.
    I understand, but what about automatic failure? I can see where it's reasonable, like my fitness walking class, since the class is really based upon attendance, but I had classes that would fail you despite being able to make up the work. Like my own Western Civ class...the teacher taught nothing but Greece, and told us to read the rest from the text book. What's the point of an attendance policy then?

I guess I'm more frustrated with the fact of that I'm at a community college at the moment, and I paid out of my own pocket for the last two semesters I went. It's not really the penalty, but the automatic failure, despite how good your grades may be.

Just about done paying for my childrens' college educations.
    "There is a pervasive myth that making content hard will induce players to rise to the occasion. We find the opposite. " -- Ghostcrawler
    "The bit about hardcore players not always caring about the long term interests of the game is spot on." -- Ghostcrawler
    "Do you want a game with no casuals so about 500 players?"

10+ Year Old Account
    I understand, but what about automatic failure? I can see where it's reasonable, like my fitness walking class, since the class is really based upon attendance, but I had classes that would fail you despite being able to make up the work. Like my own Western Civ class...the teacher taught nothing but Greece, and told us to read the rest from the text book. What's the point of an attendance policy then?

I guess I'm more frustrated with the fact of that I'm at a community college at the moment, and I paid out of my own pocket for the last two semesters I went. It's not really the penalty, but the automatic failure, despite how good your grades may be.
    I guess it depends on the teacher. I also disagree with automatic failures, but I can kinda get behind reduction in letter grades. Just be glad you didnt have my Women's Health teacher. 1 accidental phone ring, and your grade dropped a letter.

10+ Year Old Account
    College is going... over. Done. Thank god. Though I guess I had more social time as a student, if less overall time.

- - - Updated - - -

They do this in undergrad courses because they're trying to break students of the public school mindset, where education is a burden you skip out on at every opportunity.

You're paying to be there. Skipping classes is equivalent to burning money. If you don't want to go to class, just don't take the class in the first place.

You stop seeing "attendance" as part of the grading the moment you hit third- and fourth-year classes, or do graduate studies. Both because it's small enough class sizes that they know when you're not there, and because you can't be skipping classes in the first place. If your school is anything close to credible, you can't get by with just the readings; the readings are what they get you to do before or between classes so that everyone has a basic grasp of certain concepts before the next class. If you're just doing the readings and skipping the classes, you're missing the most important parts of the instruction.

And I say this as a dude who skipped a lot of classes like an idiot in my first year at university.
    You see I just did the classes and skipped the readings. Or for a couple of the classes in my college career I did neither and just showed up for the tests.
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

I go online. It's easy but time consuming. I do well even though I usually procrastinate until the last minute, and usually turn in my assignments a day or two late... Attendance means posting something in each class three days a week. Easy enough for online.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well, I usually aim for perfect attendance, but my complaint about it at my college, more than two absences either decreases your grade, or is an automatic failure.
    But two is only allowed if your class meets twice a week, once a week, you only get one absence. It's a bit overkill. I don't need like 5 absences allowed, I get that the semesters are quick, but I feel like it should be a bit less strict, give a bit more wiggle room at least. I don't even want them just for "Oh I don't feel like going today", just what if I get sick 3 times in the semester? It's not common, but sometimes it happens. Or sick twice, and the bus breaks down the 3rd?

I agree that attendance is important, but I mean if I'm paying for it, give me a bit less stress, since they're draining all my money already :x
    Universities shouldn't have attendance policies at all imo. They should offer the service, judge your performance, and let you get what you can from it.

Quote Originally Posted by Ragu4 View Post
    My biggest regret was going to community college and getting my associates degree. It took away my core buffer classes, taught me NOTHING about progressing from high school to a 4-year, and was WAY too easy. I graduated with a 3.8, would have had a 4.0 but made a few C's during my last semester due to an extreme lack of caring.
    Wow, I had a completely different experence.

I think alot of it is what exactly you are "majoring" in when you go to a community college. If you are looking at liberal arts or something non-technical that may be the case, but the Electronics courses I was enrolled in were extremely competitive.

I recommend CC for anyone that doesn't want to take out 50k in loans. You can get all your Generals out of the way I.E. English, maths etc etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Acideyeliner View Post
    I go online. It's easy but time consuming. I do well even though I usually procrastinate until the last minute, and usually turn in my assignments a day or two late... Attendance means posting something in each class three days a week. Easy enough for online.
    don't you get a 0 if you hand in late? seems kind of lax

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by supertony51 View Post
    Wow, I had a completely different experence.

I think alot of it is what exactly you are "majoring" in when you go to a community college. If you are looking at liberal arts or something non-technical that may be the case, but the Electronics courses I was enrolled in were extremely competitive.

I recommend CC for anyone that doesn't want to take out 50k in loans. You can get all your Generals out of the way I.E. English, maths etc etc.
    Yeah, it depends a lot on the focus of the education you're looking for at the CC and the school you choose.

If you're there to learn Spanish, for example, the instruction at many CCs is great. If you're there to coast along for 2 years before transferring to a 4 year school, the quality might not be so good.

Quote Originally Posted by supertony51 View Post
    Yes yes yes yes yes yes yes. I was totally bummed when I didn't get into a University and had to go to a Community College. Years later, I consider it one of the best things to ever happen to my education. For a measly couple hundred bucks, I was able to get all my GE's out of the way and figure out what I really wanted to do, as opposed to spending $20,000 to do the same thing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zantos View Post
    There are no 2 species that are 100% identical.
    Quote Originally Posted by Redditor
    can you leftist twits just fucking admit that quantum mechanics has fuck all to do with thermodynamics, that shit is just a pose?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Garnier Fructis View Post
    Yes yes yes yes yes yes yes. I was totally bummed when I didn't get into a University and had to go to a Community College. Years later, I consider it one of the best things to ever happen to my education. For a measly couple hundred bucks, I was able to get all my GE's out of the way and figure out what I really wanted to do, as opposed to spending $20,000 to do the same thing.
    CC is the best thing you can do if you have the gumption to stick with it. The problem is that CCs are often rife with a culture of dropping out, or "taking a semester off" which turns into forever, and it can be easy to be dragged down by it.

3.92 GPA studying accounting at Harvard.

Deleted

And I say this as a dude who skipped a lot of classes like an idiot in my first year at university.
    Idiot? Endus everyone knows first year doesn't count. All you have to do is pass, 40%. The idiots are the ones who go balls deep and burn out.

Oh, what I would give to do another Undergrad.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ctd123 View Post
    Idiot? Endus everyone knows first year doesn't count. All you have to do is pass, 40%. The idiots are the ones who go balls deep and burn out.

Oh, what I would give to do another Undergrad.
    I would enjoy it if I could be a full time student, but I was always carrying 15-18 credits per semester while also working 30-40 hours per week. I think if I were to be only a student not working outside of school with my current capabilities, I'd ace every course.

I hate this university with a burning passion. Worse possible experience I've had in my life. I do have 3.5 in my major tho.

Deleted
    I just started it. 3.8 so far. It's not too hard. It's more applied than research, especially my major. Which is computer engineering. They don't really check attendances unless it's a lab, then yes you have to do the labs no matter what. I'm not paying it, colleges are mainly public here so you don't pay them unless you fail something or are transferring from another college.

15+ Year Old Account
    I got an A in Cocaine but a D in Differential Equations, Organic Chemistry, and E&M Physics.

That's life.
    "There are two types of guys in this world. Guys who sniff their fingers after scratching their balls, and dirty fucking liars." -StylesClashv3
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalis View Post
    Not finding-a-cock-on-your-girlfriend-is-normal level of odd, but nevertheless, still odd.

Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    I guess it depends on the teacher. I also disagree with automatic failures, but I can kinda get behind reduction in letter grades. Just be glad you didnt have my Women's Health teacher. 1 accidental phone ring, and your grade dropped a letter.
    I'd be fine with that, my phone's speaker blew out while I was watching Game Grumps on it a year ago No more ringing or noise, the speaker for communication still works though.

But that is a bit crazy, what if it's a legitimate emergency? I mean, all teachers are against cell phone usage from what I've experienced, but none have ever said you couldn't walk out to take important calls.