Is it dangerous for a SSD?

Is it dangerous for a SSD to be almost full? like 7gig left out of 111gig?

10+ Year Old Account
    Only if you intend to install anything larger than 7gb that's left then it would cause errors during installation/ other current programs attempting to use the space..with hdds performance would diminish but not ssd

Not dangerous, but it will run much slower when saving stuff on the disc because it has to do more writes. More writes also means you'll reach the maximum write count faster but in home use it will still outlast most pets.

If you are doing lots of writes on full SSD from about 2011 or older (like take 100 pictures with digital camera and then delete 95 of them every day of the year) it can wear out and die maybe in few years, but on a gaming only computer there's no real risk or danger.

Quote Originally Posted by Frozenbeef View Post
    Only if you intend to install anything larger than 7gb that's left then it would cause errors during installation/ other current programs attempting to use the space..with hdds performance would diminish but not ssd
    While technically correct, it's best practice to leave 20-25% of your SSD free if you can. Filling up an SSD too much will slow its write speeds down dramatically.

So no, it's not necessarily "dangerous" because it won't decrease the life of your drive, but it will slow it down.

More information can be found here: http://www.howtogeek.com/165472/6-th...-state-drives/
    Last edited by noteworthynerd; 2014-03-28 at 09:49 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by noteworthynerd View Post
    While technically correct, it's best practice to leave 20-25% of your SSD free if you can. Filling up an SSD too much will slow its write speeds down dramatically.

So no, it's not necessarily "dangerous" because it won't decrease the life of your drive, but it will slow it down.

More information can be found here: http://www.howtogeek.com/165472/6-th...-state-drives/
    My mistake, i always just assumed they were better than hdds in every way :P

Quote Originally Posted by Frozenbeef View Post
    My mistake, i always just assumed they were better than hdds in every way :P
    It's basically same thing as fragmenting of HDD except on SSD fragmenting will only slow write speed not read speed. And defragmenting the SSD will not help, only freeing up more space fix it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by fixx View Post
    It's basically same thing as fragmenting of HDD except on SSD fragmenting will only slow write speed not read speed. And defragmenting the SSD will not help, only freeing up more space fix it.
    Just to enforce what fixx said; DO NOT DEFRAG YOUR SSD!
    It's always been Wankershim!
    My Brand!

I guess I could move starcraft 2 to my HDD drives to free up 12 gig since I don't play it often anymore... I'm thinking about updating it though, its a corsair force 3 128gig. Money is overflowing my account atm I could buy a 1 TB SSD not that I'd need it... lol 512 gig maybe.... my HDD is still kinda empty (2tb)