Poll: ?

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst
    10+ Year Old Account
    J.J.'s films got me hooked on Star Trek again, but I grew up on Next Generation and did enjoy some of Voyager. Still haven't seen Enterprise yet.

TNG. I didn't really watch the others. I grew up watching TNG reruns and really got sucked in. The original Star Trek ran far before my time (I was born in 1985), and I never watched much of it. I know both of my parents say they liked it back in the day.

I watched a bit of Deep Space Nine, but it didn't really do much for me. Can't really explain why. I never watched any of the others. I've seen the more recent Star Trek movies (where they had the whole young Spock / old Spock thing) and sort of enjoyed them.

Star Trek The Next Generation.

TNG, its just too good, and then DS9.

Original series of course. There is like no discussion. All later series are just mediocre compared to Original cast and overall quality.
    Last edited by OmniSkribe; 2014-04-04 at 10:01 PM.

TNG all the way for me. Patrick Stewart can sell me almost anything and I'll buy it.

DS9 by far. Then TNG.

Voyager is a special case. At its best, it's as good as any of the other Star Treks. I think for one it does have a number of very clever and/or fun episodes. Too bad there are more crappy ones. The overall story arc is poorly done and last but not least: more than half of the cast is lame and useless.

Despite how much of a sci-fi fanatic I consider myself to be, I never really saw the appeal to the Star Trek series as a whole--I was just never interested in it. I mean, I'd seen a few episodes of the original series, and just being on the internet inundates one with TNG to a large degree, but I never had the desire to sit down and actually watch any of the series.

Then, about a month or so ago, my friend got me to watch a few episodes of Voyager with him, and somehow, I was immediately hooked. I was actually about to watch the finale to season 4 when I saw this thread.

From what I understand, VOY seems to be really divisive among Star Trek fans: you either love it or hate it. Now, as it's the first Star Trek I've watched, I can't really offer any fair comparison to the other series. But, strictly on the basis of a TV show, I think it's pretty great. The only complaints I have with it are, I think, inherent in that it is Star Trek, and not because it is a poorly designed or written show. Chief among those complaints would be:

1. There's never really any feeling of tension or danger in the show -- it's Star Trek, and therefore the main cast has permanent, impenetrable plot armor (except in the case of Jennifer Lien...). Some of the darker episodes or those with traces of horror to them (a prime example being "Scorpion") are lessened by the fact that I knew the entire time that nothing bad would really happen, or would at worst be neatly wrapped up and made right as rain with no more than a quip and an admonishing smile by the Doctor before the credits rolled.

2. Time travel. Seriously. Stop. There ARE a few episodes that spun a really interesting perspective using alternate dimensions/universes/timelines/etc. -- "Living Witness" was amazing -- but unfortunately, these are few and far between. The "Year of Hell" was just a big disappointment (and not even a year).

Aside from those few issues, however, I've really enjoyed the show. There hasn't been a single main cast member whom I've disliked, and on the contrary, I've grown to really enjoy some of those that I thought I wouldn't. One thing that struck me a few days ago was how well the show dealt with character drama. If there's any dissension or disagreement amongst the crew (Seven of Nine and Janeway comes to mind), it actually makes sense. The show goes out of its way to explore multiple sides to every issue, and when there are personality clashes it doesn't feel like needless, pointless drama, which is something BSG (simultaneously my favorite and most hated sci-fi series) could never seem to understand.

And of course, it was amazing to see John De Lancie in something else.
    Last edited by Silent Earth; 2014-04-05 at 04:30 AM.
    "I will say, I think it passing odd that I am loved by one for a kindness I never did, and reviled by so many for my finest act."

The problem with Voyager (and Enterprise) is that they seemed to recycle a lot of stuff from earlier shows. I still enjoy the series, but next to TNG and DS9 it seemed redundant at times. They tried to take it in a different direction with being stuck at the ass end of the galaxy, but as you mentioned, the lack of any real danger blunted that a lot. Even with replicators, all their talk of rationing and being alone never seemed to matter when the next episode started and their damage would have been miraculously repaired. Not to mention running the holodecks constantly...

But time travel is a thing that's going to happen in Star Trek. It's best to just roll with it.

The original, of course.

Deleted
    DS9 - Because it is a Babylon 5 ripoff, but since B5 is massively superior, it benefits from being a ripoff a lot.
    TNG/Enterprise - TNG is generally good but I am not a fan of the super episodic format with a monster of the week and anomaly of the week and a particle of the week and a massive reset button afterwards. I guess Babylon 5 and later era Stargate ruined that for me as they were actually continuous. Enterprise was good on the last season and even mostly on the one before that.

Voyager - This was terrible. Terrible set of characters, I mean, come on, The Doctor and Seven were the only characters I actually had empathy for, the rest were hollow as fuck, terrible plot lines quite often, made awesome aspects of ST a joke (Borg, Q).

Never watched TOS.

Deleted
    TNG>ENT>ToS>DS9>VOY, Did not like the new 2 films cheesy action films that felt more like a parody. And it's nice to see the Babylon 5 Love. That show was totally superior to any of the Trek series even if it had some dodgy episodes most of the time they were the stand alone ones... but the actual story arc and universe it was set in was amazing. All the races had been in space for different amounts of time and had different levels of tech, and it kinda showed that humans were kind of a small fish in the Babylon 5 universe "Minbari war, Drakh attack on earth":P compared to humans being the almighty we win every battle types that appear in other sci-fi universes
    Last edited by mmoc20e50541f6; 2014-04-05 at 03:05 PM.