Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ...
7
8
9
10
LastLast
  1. #161
    Quote Originally Posted by zephid View Post
    It has lost it's server community but not the guild community.
    This appears to be the best conclusion on this thread.

    Basically not many realms have much of a community left anymore, however, there are many guilds with a healthy community still around.

  2. #162
    Quote Originally Posted by Endemonadia View Post
    This appears to be the best conclusion on this thread.

    Basically not many realms have much of a community left anymore, however, there are many guilds with a healthy community still around.
    Yup I agree with this too. You'd have to be blind or not playing to not understand this really.

  3. #163
    Quote Originally Posted by natureca View Post
    I wouldn't say you need 20-30 hours, to be in a normal/heroic raid group. For years I was in one that raiding 8hrs a week + probably another 2-3hrs of farming random stuff. I'd say a better minimum would be 10hrs, there are even single day raiding guilds now that clear a whole lot of content in only 5hrs a week.
    Which is about what players spend in LFR. If you PuG raid you will likely spend even less time as low as one to two hours depending on the interests and coordination of the group. One might progress slower than a guild group due to the nature of PuGing, but doesnt have any scheduling, set groups, and need to long term socialize for those who dont like that. Players are spending as long or longer in LFR groups than they spent in Cata heroics with no VP rewards giving normal mode rewards to fall back on. In its current state LFR really isnt casual friendly unless someones idea for casual means soloist, but LFR is still a group based activity. A number of the so called "pro-casual" pushes I see are anti-teamwork and support the jerk attitude that they poster will speak out against. It is almost as if that person themselves is one as well.

    I dont see what the hoopla is about trying to shove those who dont like certain activities in doing it especially from those who preach dont like it dont do it. This isnt world of dailycraft or raidcraft, it is a theme park MMO and it is okay if not everyone likes the same thing. Dont like to socialize then fine it is your choice and dont bitch at those who do. One just ends up sounding like some stereo typical no-lifer gamer. Players getting butthurt over someone else being more successful in a video game from being more social is something I dont understand, especially from those claiming status of not taking the game seriously or place themselves above the "no-lifers". Starts getting funny when it is those who fall on the no-lifer side and are very much into the game, but claim casual and bash others for being social and having teamwork abilities.
    Last edited by nekobaka; 2014-04-02 at 05:30 PM.

  4. #164
    Stood in the Fire
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Dublin
    Posts
    420
    Social went out the window in WOTLK, server community doesn't exist any more and it's every man for himself now.

  5. #165
    Quote Originally Posted by Svifnymr View Post
    I think the game was on the rise during Vanilla, BC, Wrath
    Game was on the rise during Vanilla and TBC. It stopped rising dead in its tracks with Wrath.
    Now, the population is lower, and the internet is there to hold your hand. Gear comes easier, so folks that previously might explain how to do something, will now just be pissy that you can't bother reading one of the 10,000 guides on how to do it.
    It's one of my argument that a harder game actually tend to tighten the community, and such situations are simple but true examples of it.
    On the other hand, folks also vastly overstate how much folks socialized in previous expacs. Most folks didn't raid at all, lots didn't even do dungeons, there were big guilds with social events, yeah, but "LFG" in trade chat wasn't social, otherwise it wouldn't have taken hours sometimes to form 1 damn dungeon group.
    I don't believe it's overstated, I simply think that people remember more the especially annoying moments where they had to look for more people for a long time, than the moments it worked rather quickly.
    Also, I'd like to point that from the years I've spent on the forums and in the game, I've noticed that a large amount of the people who couldn't find groups/guilds/raids to play with, accused the game of their problems while they were the ones being not social. My personnal experience is that if you typed like a grown-up with full sentences when making a "looking for more" announcement or whispering to someone who was making a group, and joked with people while playing, you managed to find most of the time easily and quickly people and ended up with a friendlist full to the brim.

    All the while the same guy continued to spam his macroed bot-like announcement, didn't bother to answer to whispers that didn't interest him and after an hour of fruitless research, abandonned, whined about the game and asked Blizzard to fix it.

  6. #166
    Warchief sam86's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Egypt
    Posts
    2,040
    Not anymore, end of story

  7. #167
    Brewmaster Zaxio's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Sofia/Bulgaria
    Posts
    1,452
    Is not the wow only its the Whole WORD
    You have no idea what ridicilus messages i have seen in another forums some of which have nothing about games.I have the feeling that the todays young generation use some kind of prety shit drugs several yearsago the things was much different

  8. #168
    Quote Originally Posted by MoanaLisa View Post
    Or anything in old content really. Not just questing zones.

    OK, those of you out there who believe that removing LFD will bring back realm social behavior again: LFD is removed. It's gone. Your realm is one isolated family that will be your only resource for forming groups for content. You're leveling, up to 72 now, sitting in Dalaran and want to run a proper five-man dungeon. How much luck do you think you would have forming a group out of your currently online realm population? Proper mix of roles and all at the appropriate level?

    Let me know how you think that would work in the real world.
    Well I DID that for 3 years, so it can be done. It's called... a guild. And friends. It was also called all of vanilla and TBC - are you new?

    Yes, it's harder to do when you're leveling in vastly outdated content, but part of the problem is that people have gotten used to being able to level multiple alts all via dungeons. In vanilla and TBC sometimes you didn't get a dungeon run going - that was too bad, but it was also part of life - you couldn't spam run 5 mans from 10 through 90 and avoid getting out in the world, you pretty much had to quest at least some of the time. Imagine that, interacting with the world... oh wait, that's a good thing isn't it? It's the reason we're told that flying is bad and that we needed dailies in 5.0 - because we weren't interacting in the world.

    LFD has good points (being able to find people for level 72 content in MoP), but it also has bad ones and one of the biggest bad points is that you no longer need to be in a guild or add people to a friends list to run things. What can't be done without LFD are on demand groups for people who want to login and run a dungeon RIGHT NOW.

    There are adjustments to LFD that could be made that would encourage social interaction - make LFD prefer people on the same realm. Make LFD available only for leveling content and not for max level dungeons. But don't pretend that game design decisions do not have an impact on how people interact. That's just silly.
    Last edited by clevin; 2014-04-03 at 07:26 PM.

  9. #169
    Quote Originally Posted by MoanaLisa View Post
    Or anything in old content really. Not just questing zones.

    OK, those of you out there who believe that removing LFD will bring back realm social behavior again: LFD is removed. It's gone. Your realm is one isolated family that will be your only resource for forming groups for content. You're leveling, up to 72 now, sitting in Dalaran and want to run a proper five-man dungeon. How much luck do you think you would have forming a group out of your currently online realm population? Proper mix of roles and all at the appropriate level?

    Let me know how you think that would work in the real world.
    While you are right in regard that if they removed LFX at this time, it would turn out more like you said.

    But you must also realise that Blizzard did not need to make a LFX tool. If they just merged servers and told those people "who claim that once you merge servers, people are going to leave because... well... because.. - BECAUSE!!!" to piss off, we would not need those cross-server tools at all.

    The tool in itself for your own server worked imo brilliantly in WOTLK. But as realms got more empty over time, that tool would be insufficient to work on your own realm only. So they added this cross-server thingy.

    If they did merge the realms/servers, there would be no less anonimity. People would probably talk some more even in those annoying short dungeons we have. Why? Well because we all want to be reinvited or played with at another time. You'd behave. And because people behave, less fear is there to be shot down if you say something silly. So everyone is more relaxed and more chat will ensue. More chat = more starting friendships etc. I don't know how to make this more clear.

    But yeah take away cross-server LFX now and watch the world burn basically. Why? Well servers are now even more empty then before.

  10. #170
    The Patient Anguished's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Portsmouth, UK
    Posts
    301
    It's a social as you, and others want to make it. Blizzard introduced features that made having to socialize with other players less forced, however, there are still people that start up Raids, whether they be new or old raids, Scenario runs, challenge mode runs, among other things (this is at least true on my server, which is fairly low pop). There are still plenty of guilds around that speak in guild chat, and create social events, you just have to find the right guild.

    If there is none of this going on around you, then it's only to the fault of other players.

    Wonderful Signature made by Shyama

  11. #171
    Quote Originally Posted by Akka View Post
    Game was on the rise during Vanilla and TBC. It stopped rising dead in its tracks with Wrath.

    It's one of my argument that a harder game actually tend to tighten the community, and such situations are simple but true examples of it.

    I don't believe it's overstated, I simply think that people remember more the especially annoying moments where they had to look for more people for a long time, than the moments it worked rather quickly.
    Also, I'd like to point that from the years I've spent on the forums and in the game, I've noticed that a large amount of the people who couldn't find groups/guilds/raids to play with, accused the game of their problems while they were the ones being not social. My personnal experience is that if you typed like a grown-up with full sentences when making a "looking for more" announcement or whispering to someone who was making a group, and joked with people while playing, you managed to find most of the time easily and quickly people and ended up with a friendlist full to the brim.

    All the while the same guy continued to spam his macroed bot-like announcement, didn't bother to answer to whispers that didn't interest him and after an hour of fruitless research, abandonned, whined about the game and asked Blizzard to fix it.
    Oh my god so much this.

    People claim: I was spamming for hours and got no one. Yet if I told people in chat in normal text that I wanted to go somewhere, I had a group in under 10 min íf even that. Sure I cannot but agree that I also had unsuccesful attempts. Yes... You know when that was? Around 02.00 at night. Or frikking early in the morning. Or just when guilds would raid (around 19.00/20.30). So yeah...

    Just to make it clear what it is that is most annoying: "WTB (why on earth would you say WTB, fecking kids) VC (why not just say DM, people cán check your level and assume it is NOT Dire Maul you are talking about) needz tankz0r! " - Like saying it in some form of retard speak will ensure that people will get interested in joining you. Especially the smileys make it even more retarded. What this says to me (even though it might not be so): hey guys I am a 12 year old schmuck who has a fucked up sense of humour!

    As a player that is slightly older then 12, I will stay the hell away from you!

    Then you get into a party and you have people saying:

    1. your instead of you're
    2. where instead of were
    3. their instead of they're
    4. u instead of you
    5. Pala instead of your name
    6. need on the loot - because they are an enchanter and they "needz" it

    Stuff like that. Why do those people even exist? Why do these have (if they are at a legal age) voting rights? Why are their parents so willing to give their creditcard information so that their retard kid can annoy someone else instead... Oh wait.. I answered my own question.

  12. #172
    Quote Originally Posted by Anguished View Post
    It's a social as you, and others want to make it. Blizzard introduced features that made having to socialize with other players less forced, however, there are still people that start up Raids, whether they be new or old raids, Scenario runs, challenge mode runs, among other things (this is at least true on my server, which is fairly low pop). There are still plenty of guilds around that speak in guild chat, and create social events, you just have to find the right guild.

    If there is none of this going on around you, then it's only to the fault of other players.
    Socialization isn't and was never forced in this game.

  13. #173
    Quote Originally Posted by mistahwilshire View Post
    Just about identical to as social as it's ever been. You've always need to be social to do well in real raiding.

    Outside of raiding in vanilla you could get by doing basically any other content with a simple "LF xxxx" message and then never saying another word again. Not really 'social'.

    All in all, nothing has really changed. You still need to communicate and socialize to raid anything relevant, and outside of that who really cares.
    False. Back in the days you actualy needed to communicate even in the low lvl dungeons. there was some planning how to kill different pack of mobs. Now ppl are like "pfffff cmon pull the whole dungeon ffs".
    Why blizzard why....

  14. #174
    Quote Originally Posted by sheepra View Post
    False. Back in the days you actualy needed to communicate even in the low lvl dungeons. there was some planning how to kill different pack of mobs. Now ppl are like "pfffff cmon pull the whole dungeon ffs".
    Why blizzard why....
    indeed. People who claim otherwise, probably have not played during vanilla AT ALL. And are just going on how leveling/dungeoneering is today. Meanwhile forgetting that Blizzard nerfed the past content into the ground MULTIPLE TIMES starting in Vanilla and removed packs of mobs inside those dungeons to make it take less time to clear and you could not pull any other pack by accident.

  15. #175
    WoW hasn't lost it's community - that community has simply changed. The forums are not reflective of the overall community - it's a place where anonymous, more or less anti-social people go to derive pleasure from rabble rousing or trolling. Many of them lack critical analysis abilities and only want what's best for them and not the game. That kind of player has always been around, but they've certainly grown in prevalence over the years as trolling has become more and more common place. That said - the nature of WoW has changed: there's a lot more emphasis on min/maxing and breaking RNG, the entire point in being able to claim they're the best. The vast majority of players wont be in world first or realm first guilds (this doesn't actually matter, but for some reason players today think it does), so they have things like World of Logs where they can post up a parse from a fight and compare to every other parse (not a valid comparisson because the circumstances on each fight will be different) and then trumpet their accomplishment when they grab a #1 spot. This forum, and pretty much every other is filled with volumes of posts concerning theorycraft and how other people should bend their near to the will of a particular player because "they have found the answer" - rather than letting players just play the spec/style that brings them the most pleasure. For those players, all the fun is in figuring out the game, and running simulations until they can say "this is the best."

    For me, an "old school" gamer, this is an abhorrent and toxic attitude, and it has driven me out of the virtual realm of gaming and back into the real world of table top board, rpg's and card games.

  16. #176
    Forced interaction != social.

    WoW is as social as RL, you choose when and where you want to interact with other people.

  17. #177
    After so many years, and so many game changes, it should not be a shock to see we too have evolved. The social experience has always been more of what you put into it. If you are social, and find others like yourself, nothing has changed. If you are more of a solo player, and try to avoid others in your MMO, this current state should not be a shock.

  18. #178
    Quote Originally Posted by Tauror View Post
    Forced interaction != social.

    WoW is as social as RL, you choose when and where you want to interact with other people.
    In the world of gaming there is no such thing like "choice". People ALWAYS choose the optimal/ best way of doing stuff.
    If you choose the "hard way" of doing something to reach the same goal...thats what we call crazy in real life stituations.

    Another thing i think is being badly interpreted is the word "social gameplay"
    When i talk about stuff being social i dont mean in a "talk, make friends, start a conversation kind of way"...
    Im more talking about "interact, gameplay, compete or challenge another players" in the world outside instances.

    For example Gurubashi Arena http://img1.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb2...s/0/00/WOW.jpg
    No friends were made on that place, only enemies but it was fuun as hell. Same thing about Timeless Isle.
    I really dont get when people say Timeless Isle is not "social gameplay"....how tha hell can you ask for more? Do you want TI to make your facebook account double its friends?
    Its just a place were people gather to play a game.
    Last edited by Shadowpunkz; 2014-04-04 at 03:50 PM.

  19. #179
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowpunkz View Post
    In the world of gaming there is no such thing like "choice". People ALWAYS choose the optimal/ best way of doing stuff.
    If you choose the "hard way" of doing something to reach the same goal...thats what we call crazy in real life stituations.

    Another thing i think is being badly interpreted is the word "social gameplay"
    When i talk about stuff being social i dont mean in a "talk, make friends, start a conversation kind of way"...
    Im more talking about "interact, gameplay, compete or challenge another players" in the world outside instances.

    For example Gurubashi Arena --- snipped ---
    No friends were made on that place, only enemies but it was fuun as hell. Same thing about Timeless Isle.
    I really dont get when people say Timeless Isle is not "social gameplay"....how tha hell can you ask for more? Do you want TI to make your facebook account double its friends?
    Its just a place were people gather to play a game.
    Just because you put 500 gamers in a room together does not mean they will all respond the same way. In most cases you will see a couple go sit quietly in a corner. Some will be loud and boisterous. Some will strike up some nerd chat. Others may lose themselves in demo games. Others yet will start talking about the comic book tshirt the other is wearing and begin discussing their favorite issues.

    Not every physical gathering in close proximity is a joyous experience. Anyone who thinks "Put them all on ground mounts and force them to interact" is a great idea, likely has their head shoved in the sand, or another dark hole with less breathable air. Multiplayer means more than one player. Each player may have more than one playstyle. There is no right way and no wrong way to play an MMO. If you hate the game, you are doing it wrong, or the game is just not for you.

    Players should not be forced to conform to the play standards of other players. They should only have to conform to the standards of the game itself. People who play god and pretend to know what is best for everyone seldom has their own shit together.

  20. #180
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowpunkz View Post
    In the world of gaming there is no such thing like "choice". People ALWAYS choose the optimal/ best way of doing stuff.
    If you choose the "hard way" of doing something to reach the same goal...thats what we call crazy in real life stituations.
    Of course there is a choice, there is always a choice. You choose your peers accordingly to your own demands. You choose to participate on in what you want to participate, you choose the group with whom you want. Heck, the simple fact that you play the game implies an initial choice.

    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowpunkz View Post
    Another thing i think is being badly interpreted is the word "social gameplay"
    When i talk about stuff being social i dont mean in a "talk, make friends, start a conversation kind of way"...
    Im more talking about "interact, gameplay, compete or challenge another players" in the world outside instances.
    Social is social, what you are differentiating is single and multiplayer. And those possibilities are all in WoW, don't see the reason for the point.

    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowpunkz View Post
    For example Gurubashi Arena http://img1.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb2...s/0/00/WOW.jpg
    No friends were made on that place, only enemies but it was fuun as hell. Same thing about Timeless Isle.
    I really dont get when people say Timeless Isle is not "social gameplay"....how tha hell can you ask for more? Do you want TI to make your facebook account double its friends?
    Its just a place were people gather to play a game.
    But that has nothing to do with the topic at hand. If anything, it's the perfect example that WoW never stopped being social.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Dr Perry Cox View Post
    Players should not be forced to conform to the play standards of other players. They should only have to conform to the standards of the game itself. People who play god and pretend to know what is best for everyone seldom has their own shit together.
    Pretty much this.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •