Questions regarding Affliction - Multidotting on Single Targets

Hey Guys,

i would like to know wheather multidotting via abuse of soul swap results in a higher single target dps in fights including more mobs but only one actual focus target.
    To clarify i'm talking about the klaxxi and nazgrim. In Both fights the possibility to extend heavy buffed dots over a long course is possible. As for klaxxi of course only dps on one of them is relevant and in the nazgrim fights one dotline of full length will be enough for every add to die before corruption runs off (in my raid). So my question is, will extending strong dots increase the single target dps on the focused klaxi/nazgrim when played properly, in comparison to just doting all adds and spamming MG on Nazgrim afterwards?

Additionally i'm curious on when to refresh a fully buffed agony on protectors fight.
    Scenario: combat starts everything proccs and im setting up a heavily mutated dotline. After a while there is only Agony left with like 10 seconds durations left (so sth about 25 secs with soulswapping) and BBoY proccs again and could be paired with Dark Soul. Would it be wise to refresh Agony for i cant promise to have any good proccs when it falls off? If not, with hom much time left would it be wise?

Greatings
    Fyla

PS: Sorry for grammar/vocabular mistakes english is not my native language, hope its understandable.
    Last edited by Fyla; 2014-03-31 at 10:05 AM.

I'll admit I haven't personally tested it, but my instinct would say it's probably a loss just because of the number of globals required to prop up those dots. In the specific Klaxxi fight I don't think the bosses really love long enough to do something like that even if it could be a gain.

Although I could see it maybe being worthwhile to swap buffed dots off the kill target before it dies, onto a different klaxxi, then off that klaxxi and onto to the next target as it flies in.
    My style is rich, dope, phat; in which we'll bake a cake today that looks rich.

It's worth it for your opener dots and maybe dots with multiple procs (2 trinkets or trinket/meta or berserking) but I would not play affliction over destro on that boss unless you have it on farm. Destro will do more damage on each mob you actually have to kill in its respective timeframe.

Quote Originally Posted by Truefire View Post
    It's worth it for your opener dots and maybe dots with multiple procs (2 trinkets or trinket/meta or berserking) but I would not play affliction over destro on that boss unless you have it on farm. Destro will do more damage on each mob you actually have to kill in its respective timeframe.
    that boss? on klaxxi i definitly play destru thats right, they're just a really good example. On Nazgrim i prefer to play Affliction, mainly cause i like affli MUUUUUUUCH more so i've to play it on every boss where its possible.

Thanks for the answers so far

Greetings

Multi dotting on klaxxi's as affliction is padding.

Swapping your dots around to adds on nazgrim is fully useful dps since the adds actually need to die, and you prolong strong dots when returning them to the boss, so its beneficial to multidot on nazgrim. Also, always play affliction on nazgrim since dots keep running if your guild stops dps on defensive.

And for protectors, its fully situational, I mean if you have 3 seconds left on an agony and you get BB+dark soul/Meta gem than its a no brainer to SB+SS to get it and the other dots up with decent proccs (they fall off before agony and are probably unbuffed now). But Agony surely stays for MUCH longer than 25 seconds of the fight, it usually lasts for about 100-110 seconds if you keep soulswapping and delaying.

And play affliction on every fight but klaxxi and garrosh really, it outperforms destro especially if you're a troll with gear + the raid on farm.

Yea I was referring to klaxxi. For nazgrim, you will do more overall damage as affliction but I would play destro if your guild struggles at killing Warshaman which you can burst down very quickly as destro.

Yea I was referring to klaxxi. For nazgrim, you will do more overall damage as affliction but I would play destro if your guild struggles at killing Warshaman which you can burst down very quickly as destro.
    Tbh if a guild struggles with warshamans on nazgrim at this point its probably more due to people not switching to it, not because they can't burst it fast enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Dizii View Post
    Tbh if a guild struggles with warshamans on nazgrim at this point its probably more due to people not switching to it, not because they can't burst it fast enough.
    Although that is true, you can pretty much solo carry Warshaman damage for your raid as destro so if people don't switch, you can still kill it.

Although that is true, you can pretty much solo carry Warshaman damage for your raid as destro so if people don't switch, you can still kill it.
    Yeah but a group like that will probably not be able to kill the more difficult bosses if they find the job of switching to the shaman difficult. Plus, why would you want to sacrifice so much for the group, while nobody else wants to do anything but tunnel! :3

Quote Originally Posted by Dizii View Post
    Yeah but a group like that will probably not be able to kill the more difficult bosses if they find the job of switching to the shaman difficult. Plus, why would you want to sacrifice so much for the group, while nobody else wants to do anything but tunnel! :3
    Destro is by no means bad for this boss though. In fact, the only reason affliction looks better on the meters is because you will have dots ticking on the boss during the entire duration of berserker stance while as destro you would have to be on adds during half of berserker. Also, affliction only really does good damage on adds if they stay alive for a long time which they tend to in most raids now. Playing destro is definitely not a sacrifice for this boss and was definitely the best choice for progression.

mh kay i see, so i should just get a feeling for when to extend dots and when not, allright.
    Thanks for the tipps so far

By the way, we downed nazgrim a while ago, i just recently switched to warlock adter i used to twink him (it?) a while and am in the very beginning of trying to master the class (maybe you would call it learning basics )
    Furthermore we're a 25m raid, so soloing warshaman as destru lock isnt possible ;D. Dont understand y i should play affliction on bosses like immerseus or sha (hc) you wouldnt really do dmg to the blobs as affli and who would bomb the reflections if not a warlock? Not to mention galakras, the adds to far to fast to enable for good soulswapping?! (just referring to diszii: "And play affliction on every fight but klaxxi and garrosh really, it outperforms destro especially if you're a troll with gear + the raid on farm.")

If you have every boss on farm, I would play destro on galakras, siegecrafter(if u do mines, if not afflic), paragons, and garrosh. For immersius and sha, adds are not really an issue for any raid and affliction destroys boss damage. On galakras affliction only really outshines destro if you can keep your first set of dots extended onto the next wave which isn't possible in most raids unless half the raid doesn't aoe (a lot of guilds actually do this now for logs).

no1s really done the math it's just speculation. I think it would be worth it with your opening dots. It would depend on your trinket procs otherwise so no1 could really tell you. If it is a single target increase it won't be by much so I wouldn't worry about it. I'd likely do it anyways just to pad lol.
    Streaming high end lock, mage and warrior play in 1080p.http://www.twitch.tv/yoloswagins

Quote Originally Posted by yoloswagginz View Post
    no1s really done the math it's just speculation. I think it would be worth it with your opening dots. It would depend on your trinket procs otherwise so no1 could really tell you. If it is a single target increase it won't be by much so I wouldn't worry about it. I'd likely do it anyways just to pad lol.
    Not completely correct - I did the maths and posted the results as a simcraft parse in the affliction thread. The results showed that in most cases it wasn't worth it, but when stars aligned it was worth it by a BIG margin. However, this only did so for the first 100-140 seconds, depending on RNG. it very rarely did it for more than 120 seconds though, so chances are if you're doing it for a long while, you're not getting any benefits from it.
    ~ Battle.net MVP ~
    Overwatch mod
    Twitter | Soundcloud