1. #1

    Resto Druid Question

    Hi all,

    First off sorry if this is in the wrong section etc. only this is my first post so cut me some slack :P

    Ok so my question is should I buy the prideful staff or the MH/OH? And what reasons should I be doing so?

    Thanks for any help!

  2. #2
    I'm at work so I can't confirm these numbers, but this was taken from the lock forum on AJ.

    OH enchant included, no main enchant because everyone runs jade spirit anyway.

    (MH+OH + OH-enchant) - STAFF = X
    ----------------------------------------------
    Stamina: 2991 - 3035 = +44
    Intellect: 2159 - 2023 = -136
    Crit: 1329 - 1349 = +20
    Mastery: 1329 - 1349 = +20
    PvP Power: 10055 - 10055 = 0
    Spell Power: 11590 - 11588 = -2

    44 stamina, 20 crit and mastery vs 136 int and 2 spell power.
    "Clearly every aspect of one's life, from financial stability to social popularity, to sexual prowess can be boiled down to 4 numbers: One's Arena rating" ~ Xandamere

  3. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by Cirayne24 View Post
    I'm at work so I can't confirm these numbers, but this was taken from the lock forum on AJ.

    OH enchant included, no main enchant because everyone runs jade spirit anyway.

    (MH+OH + OH-enchant) - STAFF = X
    ----------------------------------------------
    Stamina: 2991 - 3035 = +44
    Intellect: 2159 - 2023 = -136
    Crit: 1329 - 1349 = +20
    Mastery: 1329 - 1349 = +20
    PvP Power: 10055 - 10055 = 0
    Spell Power: 11590 - 11588 = -2

    44 stamina, 20 crit and mastery vs 136 int and 2 spell power.
    Thank you for your quick reply so i'm guessing the spirit staff is not even considered? I have like 10500 spirit atm.

  4. #4
    That was taken from the Lock forum, so it's from a DPS stand point. I myself don't know anything about gearing resto, so I'd leave that to someone else.
    "Clearly every aspect of one's life, from financial stability to social popularity, to sexual prowess can be boiled down to 4 numbers: One's Arena rating" ~ Xandamere

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by Bowktom View Post
    Thank you for your quick reply so i'm guessing the spirit staff is not even considered? I have like 10500 spirit atm.
    10k SPIRIT :O :O :O

    On-topic: You won't notice the difference, but if you pick the one that make you look awesome, you will play better.
    Last edited by Ethidia; 2014-04-03 at 12:25 PM.

  6. #6
    It's slightly different for Resto Druid as you'll be comparing the spirit offhand and crit weapon vs spirit staff. I'll follow the same format as the post above just for the sake of readability:


    (MH+OH + OH-enchant) - STAFF = X
    ----------------------------------------------
    Stamina: 2991 - 3035 = -44
    Intellect: 2159 - 2023 = 136
    Spirit: 751 - 1349 = -598
    Crit: 578 - 0 = 578
    Mastery: 1329 - 1349 = -20
    Spell Power: 11590 - 11588 = 2
    PvP Power: 10055 - 10055 = 0

    Benefits of wearing MH/OH: 136 Intellect, 578 Crit, 2 Spell Power
    Benefits of wearing Staff: 44 Stamina, 598 Spirit, 20 Mastery


    Given that the stat priority for Rdruids is Int>Spirit>Mastery>Haste>Crit, you would assume that the staff would be the better choice, however, one handed weapons have a faster swing timer and are more efficient for getting rid of totems/shrooms if you don't want to waste mana or a GCD moonfiring them.

    Overall: Pick whatever you want, there's a tiny % in it and people disagree on what you should go for most the time anyway. In an ideal world you'd swap between a mastery reforged mh/oh and a spirit reforged staff depending on the comp you're vs and how long you think the game will last. Imo just pick the weapon which you have the coolest transmog for.


    TL/DR: Doesn't matter too much, MH/OH has slightly better throughput and Staff has slightly more spirit for longer games.


    Edit: Completely forgot to take into account reforging. With MH/OH you reforge the excess crit into spirit so the numbers are even closer. There's still not much in it, with MH/OH you get more Int and Crit, with 2h you get more Spirit and Stam. The stats are better depending on the length of the game - so there is no real answer which one is best.
    Last edited by Snuggli; 2014-04-03 at 11:55 AM.

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by Snuggli View Post
    It's slightly different for Resto Druid as you'll be comparing the spirit offhand and crit weapon vs spirit staff. I'll follow the same format as the post above just for the sake of readability:

    ----------------------------------------------
    Stamina: 2991 - 3035 = -44
    Intellect: 2159 - 2023 = 136
    Spirit: 751 - 1349 = -598
    Crit: 578 - 0 = 578
    Mastery: 1329 - 1349 = -20
    Spell Power: 11590 - 11588 = 2
    PvP Power: 10055 - 10055 = 0

    Benefits of wearing MH/OH: 136 Intellect, 578 Crit, 2 Spell Power
    Benefits of wearing Staff: 44 Stamina, 598 Spirit, 20 Mastery


    Given that the stat priority for Rdruids is Int>Spirit>Mastery>Haste>Crit, you would assume that the staff would be the better choice, however, one handed weapons have a faster swing timer and are more efficient for getting rid of totems/shrooms if you don't want to waste mana or a GCD moonfiring them.

    Overall: Pick whatever you want, there's a tiny % in it and people disagree on what you should go for most the time anyway. In an ideal world you'd swap between a mastery reforged mh/oh and a spirit reforged staff depending on the comp you're vs and how long you think the game will last. Imo just pick the weapon which you have the coolest transmog for.


    TL/DR: Doesn't matter too much, MH/OH has slightly better throughput and Staff has slightly more spirit for longer games.


    Edit: Completely forgot to take into account reforging. With MH/OH you reforge the excess crit into spirit so the numbers are even closer. There's still not much in it, with MH/OH you get more Int and Crit, with 2h you get more Spirit and Stam. The stats are better depending on the length of the game - so there is no real answer which one is best.
    Thank you both for responses, I settled on the MH/OH due to the increased intellect + I looked at top 3 resto druids in 2 vs 2 and they all have around 10k spirit, and I don't seem to run out of mana much when i'm playing

  8. #8
    Stood in the Fire Littlepinch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Ottawa Canada
    Posts
    454
    In pvp for the most part as a resto druid i get rid of most of my spirit - for the simple fact is you only need enough spirit not to go oom within the time frame of the match.So if you don't go oom you can keep that extra crit and be able to put out a little more pressure with your team when they do hard swaps to people. Don't under estimate the helpful dmg you can do during a hard swap to someone. The dmg you do could be the difference between a kill and a almost kill.

    I take a very offensive stance on my resto druids reforging.
    Last edited by Littlepinch; 2014-04-03 at 04:44 PM.

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by Littlepinch View Post
    In pvp for the most part as a resto druid i get rid of most of my spirit - for the simple fact is you only need enough spirit not to go oom within the time frame of the match.So if you don't go oom you can keep that extra crit and be able to put out a little more pressure with your team when they do hard swaps to people. Don't under estimate the helpful dmg you can do during a hard swap to someone. The dmg you do could be the difference between a kill and a almost kill.

    I take a very offensive stance on my resto druids reforging.
    That is an interesting point you make. I usually go and assist in the kill with Heart of the wild, and quickly build up combo points to land that ferocious bite So do you reforge some spirit for crit?

  10. #10
    Stood in the Fire Littlepinch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Ottawa Canada
    Posts
    454
    Quote Originally Posted by Bowktom View Post
    That is an interesting point you make. I usually go and assist in the kill with Heart of the wild, and quickly build up combo points to land that ferocious bite So do you reforge some spirit for crit?
    Yes pretty much much any crit that i would have swapped to spirit, I just keep it crit instead. Since i don't go oom for the most part.

    If i still don't go oom then i can move even more spirit to crit.

  11. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by Littlepinch View Post
    Yes pretty much much any crit that i would have swapped to spirit, I just keep it crit instead. Since i don't go oom for the most part.

    If i still don't go oom then i can move even more spirit to crit.
    Just as a word of warning to Bowktom and anyone who wants to reforge crit, crit is actually the worst stat for resto druid healing. By reforging crit to help with HotW kills, you're actually potentially forcing your team mates to play more defensive because you can't keep up with healing, meaning that your overall damage as a team is lower. You will also oom faster because your throughput will be lower than every other healer you're facing. You ALSO will have less time to go for clones on the enemy team, relieving pressure and allowing your team to set up kills/cc.

    In a 30 second game, crit is probably the best stat... but as soon as you have to start healing you'll start falling behind. Mastery is best for actual healing numbers, haste is good all round for clones and HoT ticks - although it's best to hit the nearest breakpoint and reforge into something else and spirit is good for longer games where you might oom (anything longer than 3-4 minutes).

    I would highly recommend against playing crit reforge, but it's personal preference... if you're playing it and it's working for you then I'm not going to argue, it's just not a safe or reliable playstyle.

  12. #12
    Stood in the Fire Littlepinch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Ottawa Canada
    Posts
    454
    Quote Originally Posted by Snuggli View Post
    Just as a word of warning to Bowktom and anyone who wants to reforge crit, crit is actually the worst stat for resto druid healing. By reforging crit to help with HotW kills, you're actually potentially forcing your team mates to play more defensive because you can't keep up with healing, meaning that your overall damage as a team is lower. You will also oom faster because your throughput will be lower than every other healer you're facing. You ALSO will have less time to go for clones on the enemy team, relieving pressure and allowing your team to set up kills/cc.

    In a 30 second game, crit is probably the best stat... but as soon as you have to start healing you'll start falling behind. Mastery is best for actual healing numbers, haste is good all round for clones and HoT ticks - although it's best to hit the nearest breakpoint and reforge into something else and spirit is good for longer games where you might oom (anything longer than 3-4 minutes).

    I would highly recommend against playing crit reforge, but it's personal preference... if you're playing it and it's working for you then I'm not going to argue, it's just not a safe or reliable playstyle.
    He's not forcing anyone to play more defensively - The only extra crit he is going to get is coming from spirit
    So unless he's going oom - there is no change in throughput

    At no point did i say to favor Crit over any other stat but spirit ( and this is only if he's not going oom before the matches end )

    His Haste/Mastery will be exactly the same as they are now - please read a post a few times before spewing this.
    Last edited by Littlepinch; 2014-04-04 at 03:09 PM.

  13. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by Littlepinch View Post
    He's not forcing anyone to play more defensively - The only extra crit he is going to get is coming from spirit
    So unless he's going oom - there is no change in throughput

    At no point did i say to favor Crit over any other stat but spirit ( and this is only if he's not going oom before the matches end )

    His Haste/Mastery will be exactly the same as they are now - please read a post a few times before spewing this.
    Sorry if I misunderstood, but if he is reforging excess spirit into crit.. that excess spirit is still better reforged into haste for a breakpoint or mastery for throughput. My point was that crit doesn't really benefit Rdruid at all outside of HotW damage in cat form.

  14. #14
    Stood in the Fire Littlepinch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Ottawa Canada
    Posts
    454
    Quote Originally Posted by Snuggli View Post
    Sorry if I misunderstood, but if he is reforging excess spirit into crit.. that excess spirit is still better reforged into haste for a breakpoint or mastery for throughput. My point was that crit doesn't really benefit Rdruid at all outside of HotW damage in cat form.
    even doing this - he should still have the only haste point that counts ( 3045 haste )

    As for the mastery - I still think in a 3's situation - the stats would be better spent in an offensive style ( but that's just me ) Sometimes my team mates need just a little more dmg to get that kill ( with or without HOTW ) If i can do so best believe i will. I'v scored a lot of kill shots even just with a well timed wrath in between my healing. Crit isn't on the top of our stat prio's at all but in a pvp setting don't underestimate it's usefulness.

    I'm not really looking at it as helping myself as a resto druid - I do this to help out my TEAM - which is the name of the game

    At the end of the day you help yourself by helping them.
    Last edited by Littlepinch; 2014-04-04 at 03:41 PM.

  15. #15
    On topic : MH+OH provides more intel, that's why it is the best choice.

    On the discussion of reforging for resto druid:
    (I can speak for pvp only)
    After you break the haste requirement (3050 or something) to get the extra tick
    you just balance the rest out between spirit and mastery.
    Personally I highly favor mastery because it makes you more powerfull all game,
    unlike spirit wich only matters when you start consuming more mana then you can recover
    (long games, dampening ).

    So just go mastery mate.
    Check any high rated resto druid on the ladder and im sure you will find
    that they are doing the same.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •