Thread: 2014 MLB Thread

Page 17 of 32 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    I wonder if Moneyball 2 would feature Jonah Hill being crucified by Dodger fans.

Just announced that we sent Peter O'Brien to the D'backs, a crapton of power but not really average capable & big questions over his defensive position - basically Jesus Montero mk. 2!
    Koodledrum - Balnazzar EU - 85 Priest - Retired.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by koodledrum View Post
    Just announced that we sent Peter O'Brien to the D'backs, a crapton of power but not really average capable & big questions over his defensive position - basically Jesus Montero mk. 2!
    well he should fit in on that team, the Dbags only ever seem to have power guys that can't hit

I really don't like the rebuilding process. It's tough to root for a team that's thrown in the towel and could be irrelevant the next few seasons. Although given the madness that's happened in Boston the last 3 and a half seasons, it's impossible to predict how 2015 will go. But it is interesting to see the Jays and Orioles fighting for the top spot when they haven't done much of anything for 20 years now.

10+ Year Old Account
    The red sox have demolished there team, built it up in one year and won world series, and repeated a couple times now :P have faith!
    You're a towel.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dom View Post
    I really don't like the rebuilding process. It's tough to root for a team that's thrown in the towel and could be irrelevant the next few seasons. Although given the madness that's happened in Boston the last 3 and a half seasons, it's impossible to predict how 2015 will go. But it is interesting to see the Jays and Orioles fighting for the top spot when they haven't done much of anything for 20 years now.
    Well, a lot of mismanagement from former GM JP Riccardi (sp?) was essentially why the Jays were so average for quite some time. I am not sure who was more addicted to throwing away prospects for past their prime players, him or JFJ when he was GM of the Leafs. With the way the Jays are rolling right now, they could win the division at this rate. They own the wildcard spot and keep on finding ways to win without 3 of their biggest bats on IR still. Imagine what is going to happen when they come back in a few weeks. The Yankees don't even have a shot at the wildcard spot right now unless Baltimore lays a massive egg. The Jays have everything going for them right now and I think have the best shot of any team in the division to go far.

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    I don't see how Toronto will have the starting pitching to beat Detroit/Oakland/LAA in a series. Buehrle has been very mediocre the past month and Dickey is very up/down, as is the norm for knucklers. They should be able to slug their way into the postseason, given that other than the 3 teams I mentioned, the rest of the AL is pretty garbage, so an AL East/WC berth should happen. But after that I don't give them much of a chance of advancing. I'd be very disappointed if I was a Jays fan and great starting pitching was available in the form of Price/Lester/Samardzija and they instead went to the other top teams in the league further increasing the gap between those teams and Jays, especially when the Jays have such a need for starters.

You could say the same thing about Baltimore though, they also are in need of a great starter if they want any hope of advancing to the WS.
    Last edited by Stommped; 2014-08-01 at 03:51 PM.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    I think that is the whole thing. The pitching is good enough to get them in and through a round or two but hitting will be the catalyst in wins and losses.

10+ Year Old Account
    So the Phillies completely missed the window to unload some of their awful veteran contracts and now Cliff Lee will probably miss the rest of the season. Good work yet again, Ruben Amaro Jr.

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    It is kind of amazing that he still has a job, but it's the contracts that he signed all these old players to that prevented him from doing much of anything yesterday. Rollins is the only name who isn't signed for a ridiculous amount of $ and years remaining, but it's not peanuts either (11M next season before he becomes a FA). Given that, he could still be moved post deadline assuming because of his .245 BA and $ that he'll clear waivers.

I'm not really sure how people expected him to move Hamels' or Howard's ridiculous contracts though.

10+ Year Old Account
    He couldn't even move Byrd, a desirable player with a reasonable contract, the man has some unfathomable disconnect with reality. Why trade for prospects when you've got young studs like Domonic Brown? You never have to rebuild WIN FOREVER!

ESPN being classy as usual. I watched Ken Rosenthal first report the Price trade on MLB Network and then switched it over to ESPN. Pretty much every article written about the Price trade gave Ken Rosenthal credit for being the first to report it, except for ESPN. http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/11...tampa-bay-rays. Those losers acted like one of their own guys broke the story. Was listening to John Feinstein this morning on CBS Sports Radio and he was making fun of ESPN for acting like they broke the story.
    Last edited by tiffy33; 2014-08-01 at 06:45 PM.

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    Cubs put in a claim for Cole Hamels. I would be super surprised if they trade any of their top prospects given that he'll turn 31 later this year, wouldn't make much sense if you ask me. I think they put in the claim just to see if the Phillies were interested in dealing him purely for the salary dump (although that doesn't fit the Phils), where they wouldn't have to give up much of anything. If they could do that, the rumored signing of Lester in the offseason, and call up Bryant in June of next year we'll start to have something cooking boys.

Ruben Amaro's been proven to be a bit of an idiot this season though with some of the demands he was making during the deadline rush seemingly demanding the top prospects for anyone & everyone - apparently wanted Aaron Judge from the Yankees for Marlon Byrd, Cashman predictably told him to call back when he came to his senses. There's little to no chance Hamels gets dealt as he'll ask for the farm from the Cubs and well, I don't see Jed Hoyer being crazy enough to even float that idea past Theo Epstein.
    Koodledrum - Balnazzar EU - 85 Priest - Retired.

10+ Year Old Account
    Phillies did finally manage to move somebody today and they'll end up with some schlub prospects or money considerations out of it.

10+ Year Old Account
    https://twitter.com/SBNationGIF/stat...29356367241216

I'm severely disappointed baseball doesn't have a stat for broken bats on check swings.

10+ Year Old Account
    Guess he didn't notice cracking it on a previous swing, whoops.

10+ Year Old Account
    Red sox would be the first team ever to be the worst in there division, win world series next year, then be worst again! So Sox fans have that to look forward to perhaps :P
    You're a towel.

Quote Originally Posted by Gumboy View Post
    Red sox would be the first team ever to be the worst in there division, win world series next year, then be worst again! So Sox fans have that to look forward to perhaps :P
    That's the way to do it. If you're going to be good, be the best. If you're going to be bad, be the worst. Don't want to get stuck in that black hole of mediocrity!

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    Baltimore starting to pull away in the East. Kansas City in first place. Oakland's run differential is just stupid. They are over twice as better as the 2nd best differential Seattle (which is also crazy).