Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    Quote Originally Posted by Frost1129 View Post
    I don't know what is funnier:

Akraen's April Fool's day trolling, or two active mods believing him enough to act like mods in the thread. lol

Can we really not talk about moderation? Who watches the watchmen!?
    We're supposed to take it to PM's.

Quote Originally Posted by Shangalar View Post
    Superwatchmen watch the watchmen and you can contact them if you need something. And I don't even care about the content of the thread, it made no sense to begin with because DPET doesn't take into consideration the chance to hit, only successful hits. Just because it's a joke it doesn't give posters the right to suddenly open a keg and have a frat party in the thread.
    Yes yes. Let's all not understand Akraen was trying to make a less-serious thread and generate some laughs with us poking fun at him and ourselves a bit on a day that's supposed to be about jokes. Who was Akraen to even think about a less than serious thread, and who we were to have fun with the idea.

Down with self deprecating humor and light heartedness! Up with banal posts!

Deleted
    Tbh when I checked the power of this build Akraen and I have to correct you in something. It's actually best to ignore all haste and mastery and gem pure int/crit. Also every gem socket should have spirit on it so you regen mana faster and you don't need to cast Evocation and Incanters Ward as often.

Quote Originally Posted by Berlinia View Post
    Tbh when I checked the power of this build Akraen and I have to correct you in something. It's actually best to ignore all haste and mastery and gem pure int/crit. Also every gem socket should have spirit on it so you regen mana faster and you don't need to cast Evocation and Incanters Ward as often.
    Be careful - you're dangerously close to joking around.

Deleted
    Wow. Just, wow.

Quote Originally Posted by Methusula View Post
    Fantastic. Mods are infracting April Fools jokes. And yes, I understand I'm not supposed to talk about moderation.
    I guess they don't have April Fool's Day overseas either. Kinda like how they don't use decimals.

Quote Originally Posted by Dutchmagoz View Post
    Oh god. Mods pranking the prank thread. Good move!
    I wish that were the case.

Funny AF, I laughed, thanks! Good to see Blizzard got back into the AF spirit this year too.

15+ Year Old Account
    Because I can't tell whether Shang is serious or joking in his posts, I thought I'd clarify that there is not a "No fun allowed" rule, and it's fine if some threads aren't completely serious (including this one). There's also no official rule against harsh language either.

However, it is worth noting that being harsh to other users, even if you are joking and are both in on the joke, is probably not the greatest idea if you wish to avoid infractions. Mods can and will act on those type of posts, especially if reported by a third user who also happens to not get the joke. This is because it is very difficult at times to tell if people are serious or joking.
    Last edited by Simca; 2014-04-01 at 10:13 PM.
    Global Moderator | Forum Guidelines

Quote Originally Posted by Simca View Post
    Mods can and will act on those type of posts, especially if reported by a third user who also happens to not get the joke. This is because it is very difficult at times to tell if people are serious or joking.
    And therein lies the problem. If the mods can't tell that a thread started by one of the preeminent Frost theorycrafters is an embarrassingly obvious joke, then we have a serious problem.
    Last edited by Methusula; 2014-04-01 at 10:17 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Also I don't intend to start a conversation on moderation here, but people should know that they shouldn't normally have to feel like they're walking on eggshells when posting (outside of insulting other users). If you do, then there could be problems with local moderation, and you should come to the global moderators or an admin and we can handle it.

Thanks.
    Global Moderator | Forum Guidelines

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Methusula View Post
    And therein lies the problem. If the mods can't tell that a thread started by one of the preeminent Frost theorycrafters is an embarrassingly obvious joke, then we have a serious problem.
    Simca is talking about people "joke flaming" - the "being harsh to other users" bit.

We treat those as serious. The person targeted can't always tell, readers can't always tell, mods can't always tell. So it's best to just avoid insulting or flaming, even in jest.

for moderation questions/concerns, please contact a global:

TzivaRadux SimcaElysiaZaelsinoxskarmaVenara

| twitch | bsky
    |

10+ Year Old Account
    Okay, guys, you're totally welcome to have these criticisms but please send them via PMs with links rather than posting them, so this thread can stay fun and not be about moderation. Thaaaaaaaaaank you <3

for moderation questions/concerns, please contact a global:

TzivaRadux SimcaElysiaZaelsinoxskarmaVenara

| twitch | bsky
    |

Quote Originally Posted by Akraen View Post
    We have an official MMO-Champion mage channel on IRC.

This entire thing was organized, planned, and executed by the following participants:

Akraen, Methusula, Frosty, Kver, Dutchmagoz, Oltier (for the Icy Veins xpost)

I really find it unfortunate to see Frosty be infracted here, and that this is even an issue.

For just one day, people who often argue (like Frosty and I) put down our egos, and our frustrations, and we had a nice big joke and laugh at ourselves. I posted a guide full of BS, Frosty posted a "typical I'm a scientist lol" reply, Dutch posted a graph, I turned the graph upside down. This was all in good fun and has been blatantly obvious from the first post. If you frequent these forums you can see we all actually took care to word our replies how we "usually would" but with exaggeration.

Just so you know, super mods, it's becoming harder and harder to post here for a variety of reasons. How our moderators react and the lack of moderator involvement in our IRC channel (which is hugely popular!) and the mage class in general is frustrating. I applied to be a moderator here and Icy Veins, IV took me, MMOC did not. It's not personal, it's just frustrating.

For quite a few people, reading the different Forums on the different sites and then forming a question when something seems unclear, is a very scary proposition. The amount of nastiness which is thrown out by the regular posters, when they deride an honest question, is overwhelming. To say, "I read quite a few of the different Forums on "x" or "y" topic, and I am unclear about a certain point," and then to be hit with multiple reply comments which all seem to say, "You are STUPID!" or "Can't you read???" or "You're below my notice, because I'm so much better than you are!" is a belittling experience.

We're all supposed to be playing the same game, and we're all trying to accomplish the same goal, in that we wish to excel and to learn as much as possible about our chosen Class/Spec. It isn't fun to ask a question and then to be attacked with condescension, vitriol, animosity, open hatred and other horrid behaviour, just because the person who is asking the question hasn't been around since Vanilla/BD/WotLK or whenever.

Yes, this was a very fun prank post, but some of the reply posts are very indicative of the general problem which plagues the vast majority of the different Forums, and that is the negativity towards newcomers who have real questions and concerns about so very much of this complicated game.

I admit that I have, in the past, sent Private Messages to some posters who have openly attacked and denigrated others, saying that the condescension and vitriol are completely unnecessary, but I have never openly attacked someone, because I don't personally feel that being hateful in public is a good thing.

I will probably be attacked by many for flying in the face of the common practice, but so be it.

Thank you for reading this.

"Never underestimate the depth of stupidity." Robert Heinlein

Not at all Vaelkder, I can totally sympathize. I was there once too, as was almost everyone else. The reply posts were supposed to be a satire on the typical behavior of the community at large, so good catch there. We will just have to sort out how we convey that message.

As an unrelated side note, I love the signature quote!

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Frost1129 View Post
    Be careful - you're dangerously close to joking around.
    No mate I am 100% honest. It can be proven using the Goldenbach Paradigm

You should fire (no pun intended) Akraen and make me your super official Frost Mage moderator. So many mages running around with spirit gems <3

- - - Updated - - -

Also people you have to understand this. However fun your joke might seem to you anything offensive isnt funny and isn't a joke. A joke must have 0 references to anything offensive. Follow the following rules:
    1) Be polite. No swearing and words like idiot, go google stuff, etc etc should be used. They are generally just degrading.
    2) Be open to criticism about your ideas or idols. Being overly defensive is just stupid (This is also swearing)
    3) Any comment towards Frost needs not to fulfill the above conditions
    Last edited by mmocc678005bf8; 2014-04-01 at 11:11 PM.

Decided to give this build a try and it was AMAZIN! I was literally one shoting the boars at the farm outside org. You don't even need to bomb or get fingers of frost charges you can just spam lance . 10/10 would bang