Deleted

Any non payable colleges in California?

Good evening.

So, my friend is interested in attending college yet he has little cash. He wants to study in California, particularly Los Angeles. He has the funds for a plane ticket there and isn't shy in getting a part time job for dorm costs and food but he wants a college to which you don't have to pay tuition.

I told him I knew a gaming forum with a wide crowd so I figured why not ask here since I'm sure some of the frequent readers are from there, they might know a place.

Any free colleges in California, Los Angeles?

10+ Year Old Account
    No, there aren't. Especially in LA.
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

There are cheaper colleges, such as PIERCE, but you still have to pay for classes, and I am not sure there are dorms >? At this particular campus. Otherwise no, Everything around LA is rather expensive.

10+ Year Old Account
    Free colleges? In the US?

Sorry, man. Europe is that direction. -->

Quote Originally Posted by Shanxys View Post
    Good evening.

So, my friend is interested in attending college yet he has little cash. He wants to study in California, particularly Los Angeles. He has the funds for a plane ticket there and isn't shy in getting a part time job for dorm costs and food but he wants a college to which you don't have to pay tuition.

I told him I knew a gaming forum with a wide crowd so I figured why not ask here since I'm sure some of the frequent readers are from there, they might know a place.

....no college offers a free tuition, unless you have a scholarship/outside help.

Europe on the other hand...

10+ Year Old Account
    There's something in the water... Florida
    Colleges are businesses, if you dont pay them they dont give you their stamp of approval that says you are ready to work for a higher wage/salary.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalis View Post
    MMO-C, where a shill for Putin cares about democracy in the US.

Good evening.

If he has no income he can qualify for the State Grants and stuff. I know due to my situation and stuff I have no income and only have to pay $19 fee for my classes and through the state grant alone it pays the Tuition and then gives me some cash to spend on my books and other needed materials. This method is easier for community colleges which he can then later transfer to a 4 year after he has gotten a more stable situation and either pay for it all or take out loans/other things.

Unfortunately though I don't live in the LA area, but if needed I can try to give some more details if interested.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vizardlorde View Post
    Colleges are businesses, if you dont pay them they dont give you their stamp of approval that says you are ready to work for a higher wage/salary.
    Because everyone with a degree has a high paying job. College is overrated these days...people would be better suited for a trade school.

10+ Year Old Account
    There's something in the water... Florida
    Quote Originally Posted by Interception View Post
    Because everyone with a degree has a high paying job. College is overrated these days...people would be better suited for a trade school.
    I never said it gives you a highr paying job I just said stamp of approval that says you are ready... some times college graduates are not even ready to take out people's garbage...
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalis View Post
    MMO-C, where a shill for Putin cares about democracy in the US.

10+ Year Old Account
    No, and tell him he should be grateful since this prevents him from making the terrible mistake of moving to the shithole that is LA.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Lets say you have a two 3 inch lines. One is all red and the other is 48% red and 52% blue. Does that mean there's a 50-50 chance they're both red or is the second line matching the all red line by 48%?
    ^^^ Wells using an analogy

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    I'm going to guess OP and his friend do not live in the USA.

Tuition free colleges do not exist here, sorry. It's also a bit difficult to find part time work, especially in the LA area, unemployment rates are still quite high.

Also, if you are not a native, you'd find it difficult to get any sort of education assistance.

10+ Year Old Account
    What about financial aid?
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

The only free college I know of is in NYC

Quote Originally Posted by g01851 View Post
    I'm going to guess OP and his friend do not live in the USA. Tuition free colleges do not exist here, sorry.
    He lives "Amidst Legends" man. Clearly he lives in USA. JK lol at people who ask for advice in threads but have fake locations.

It's a very unrealistic thing. "I can pay for a plane ticket, so let me get a free scholarship to college. Don't worry though, I'll eventually find a part time job in this bad US economy to fund my food/dorm."

Sorry to say but given the information you provided, your friend isn't going to be able to come.

If he qualifies for enough grant aid, he could end up paying very very little. Via grants, I've had about 4 years of essentially free college (inb4 "but it's not free!" <--- angry that your tax dollars are paying for my education).
    Quote Originally Posted by Zantos View Post
    There are no 2 species that are 100% identical.
    Quote Originally Posted by Redditor
    can you leftist twits just fucking admit that quantum mechanics has fuck all to do with thermodynamics, that shit is just a pose?

10+ Year Old Account
    How does such a place run if they don't require a tuition.... Doesn't work in the US. This is why we have scholarships, student loans, financial aid etc.

I say this as someone who lives in Los Angeles. Do not come here unless you have money in the bank (a decent amount of it) or something (job or school) already lined up. Los Angeles is not cheap. Even if he were to get financial aid he would have a rough time here.

10+ Year Old Account
    I personally moved out of SoCal (Santa Barbara) and went to Vegas, simply because it was too expensive to go to school and survive.
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

10+ Year Old Account
    Where ever I want, working remote is awesome.

Any free colleges in California, Los Angeles? the USA?
    No, he will have to take out student loans like everyone else. His cheapest option is to stay in whatever state he is from and go there. Here in Indiana, Indiana University costs a resident of the state $4,559.00 compared to an out of state student who pays $15,300 per semester. Out of state costs are ridiculous.
    Last edited by vindicatorx; 2014-04-02 at 01:38 AM.