While we have the mods here for other reasons, how do we get the core guides updated?

I've been coming here a while and I've noticed the guides are (in some cases) no longer correct. This was a good place to come to read the guides and ask questions, but the information is becoming a bit dated. What is the process for making updates?

10+ Year Old Account
    I've updated the Arcane guide quite recently, Fire gameplay hasn't severely changed from the start of the expansion, but I guess it is dated, yes. And Akraen has his very well written Advanced Frost guide that can be used for 5.4. It's always on the first page of the forum, even if it isn't stickied. Any specifics you'd like to suggest for the guides?
    My magic will tear you apart.

I was more concerned about getting a single guide for each spec that's current up there. I feel Kver and Akraens newest stuff is the best stuff and should be married up with the current sticky threads if possible. If I can do anything to assist with formatting (or with actual arcane content) I'd be happy to help.

Quote Originally Posted by Shangalar View Post
    I've updated the Arcane guide quite recently, Fire gameplay hasn't severely changed from the start of the expansion, but I guess it is dated, yes. And Akraen has his very well written Advanced Frost guide that can be used for 5.4. It's always on the first page of the forum, even if it isn't stickied. Any specifics you'd like to suggest for the guides?
    No section in Arcane guide mentions anything about how to use AT or not use it.

Fire guide hasn't been updated since April 2013. Still recommends old meta gem. Still recommends red gems. Doesn't discuss expertise gemming and why it's a thing.

Nothing about ignite, combustion building, or how to use AT to do an opener. Nothing on non-AT combustion building. Tier 16 set bonuses are not mentioned. Discussion on Combustion glyph is non-existent. Says flameglow is viable. Talks about BiS weapons, but is based off year old gear. Doesn't explain why we base HS+HU to fire a Pyro! following a Fireball. Nothing on Potent Flames uptimes and how it plays into Mastery vs. Haste. No haste vs mastery discussion.

Basically, the fire guide is stuck in two tiers ago.
    Last edited by Frost1129; 2014-04-01 at 10:29 PM.

Deleted
    "Fire gameplay hasn't severely changed from the start of the expansion, but I guess it is dated"
    Understatement. If you want an actual, up to date Fire guide, I'm sure either me or Dutch can find the time to help you out with that.

I can totally write up a basic AT guide for arcane if needed, and if it can be added to the sticky.

10+ Year Old Account
    The Arcane usage for Alter Time is covered in point 3.1 - how to start a raid encounter.

If someone is willing to write a short guide for 5.4 Fire - basic gameplay, handling stats, gearing, gemming, etc., you are welcome to do so and we can coordinate via private messages. I spent some time playing fire in 5.0.5 and the guide and subsequent discussions were very helpful then, especially about using the AT macro. Feel free to discuss here who would volunteer for this assignment. When it's finished, I can merge Kver's advanced part into it. Everyone who participates will receive full credit of course, that shouldn't be mentioned.

Deleted
    The Arcane usage for Alter Time is covered in point 3.1 - how to start a raid encounter.

If someone is willing to write a short guide for 5.4 Fire - basic gameplay, handling stats, gearing, gemming, etc., you are welcome to do so and we can coordinate via private messages. I spent some time playing fire in 5.0.5 and the guide and subsequent discussions were very helpful then, especially about using the AT macro. Feel free to discuss here who would volunteer for this assignment. When it's finished, I can merge Kver's advanced part into it. Everyone who participates will receive full credit of course, that shouldn't be mentioned.
    I'll contact you tomorrow then, I'll make sure the guide is correct and accurate.

Deleted

10+ Year Old Account
    Must I infract you and continue my image of 'boogeyman'? Please stay on topic.

Kver, if you'd like it'd probably be best to toss what you have by IRC tomorrow for us to read through before making public.

Must I infract you and continue my image of 'boogeyman'? Please stay on topic.
    Quite frankly, to try throwing your power around and threaten someone with an infraction or ban because they posted something not related to the article (oh wait, technically speaking, it is) is actually disgusting.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by alturic View Post
    Quite frankly, to try throwing your power around and threaten someone with an infraction or ban because they posted something not related to the article (oh wait, technically speaking, it is) is actually disgusting.
    In an effort to have the person edit their post or take it as a warning. We're discussing guides at the moment, not moderation or modding in general or that song.

As for the Fire guide thing, just remember that if you want to put any links to spells or abilities, they need to come from WoWDB because then people can mouseover them to view the tooltip. Like this: url=http://www.wowdb.com/spells/125430]Mage Bomb[/url (just add the square brackets to the start and end of the line, I removed them so you can see the example) With the brackets, it looks like this: Mage Bomb