Deleted

So I just started tanking... need some tips!

After like, 8 years of playing (I have dropped playing my mage and adopted a Warrior) I'm beginning to tank some pretty (what I consider to be) challenging instances. I've been Prot since I made the guy and I'm now level 83 - so I've had some time to learn various ropes etc.

I was fully loomed until 80 and to be honest, felt indestructible up until that point - before you yell at me - I was expecting this.

I have some very specific queries related to the tanking process I'm hoping some of you may be able to help me with - I don't want to turn out as a dead-end, standard wet-towel, RDF tank.

Firstly, what (if anything) should I be stacking in terms of mitigation stats? Parry, dodge, block or mastery?

Is it preferable to keep shield block up constantly or only when I'm expecting a big hit? My assumption has been to keep it up as much as possible to A) make life easier for the healer and B) generally take less damage overall. What I do at the moment is watch the Buff timer and re-apply as needed.

Safeguard or Vigilance? Currently I'm using Vigilance because in a dungeon environment I've never found myself in the position of having to rush to another player + I like not having a CD on Taunt.

Talent points @ Lvl 90 - I haven't really looked at these in depth but I would like an idea on choosing. I was thinking Avatar? *shrug*

Finally - reacting when things get messy? I tend to just panic and taunt anything and everything I can. I've had situations with retarded ranged pulling masses and leaving me to peel them off the rest of the group. I find Thunder Clap to be a suitable remedy but sometimes it doesn't take the biscuit. Do I simply adopt the mantra "You spank it, you tank it." ?

Thanks in advance!

Quote Originally Posted by sarethen View Post
    After like, 8 years of playing (I have dropped playing my mage and adopted a Warrior) I'm beginning to tank some pretty (what I consider to be) challenging instances. I've been Prot since I made the guy and I'm now level 83 - so I've had some time to learn various ropes etc.

I was fully loomed until 80 and to be honest, felt indestructible up until that point - before you yell at me - I was expecting this.

I have some very specific queries related to the tanking process I'm hoping some of you may be able to help me with - I don't want to turn out as a dead-end, standard wet-towel, RDF tank.

Firstly, what (if anything) should I be stacking in terms of mitigation stats? Parry, dodge, block or mastery?

Is it preferable to keep shield block up constantly or only when I'm expecting a big hit? My assumption has been to keep it up as much as possible to A) make life easier for the healer and B) generally take less damage overall. What I do at the moment is watch the Buff timer and re-apply as needed.

Safeguard or Vigilance? Currently I'm using Vigilance because in a dungeon environment I've never found myself in the position of having to rush to another player + I like not having a CD on Taunt.

Talent points @ Lvl 90 - I haven't really looked at these in depth but I would like an idea on choosing. I was thinking Avatar? *shrug*

Finally - reacting when things get messy? I tend to just panic and taunt anything and everything I can. I've had situations with retarded ranged pulling masses and leaving me to peel them off the rest of the group. I find Thunder Clap to be a suitable remedy but sometimes it doesn't take the biscuit. Do I simply adopt the mantra "You spank it, you tank it." ?

Thanks in advance!
    Parry,Parry,Parry,Parry did i say Parry ? You should only use shield block if expecting a big hit, use boss modes to determine this when a big hit is coming, you should be using Sbar always make sure you use it with 60 ore more rage, as far as talents at 90 take bloodbath it's the only talent in the tree worth it for a prot warrior. If you're only taking dungeons and you need to pick up adds drop a mocking banner.

Deleted
    Dodge & parry. There's no more block to stack in MoP. After you hit 90 you might want to look at http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...ection-Warrior

You'll have enough rage after capping both hit and expertise to keep shieldblock up constantly on bosses and pop shield barriers for big hits on top of that. In 5 mans you'll just have to adjust between casts (shield barrier) and regular melee swings (shield block).

Talents: shockwave, stormbolt, aoe interrupt, mass spell reflect - basically everything that adds control.

Thanks in advance!
    1) Stats, to be honest it really doesn't matter until you hit 90.
    2) Shield block should be up every time you can cast it and follow it up with a shield slam. You should be glyphed for Glyph of Heavy Repercussions(Think I spelled this right) Shield block not only mitigates damage, but is also a DPS increase when using the gylph.
    3) Safeguard.
    4) 90 talent ? Blood Bath, good DPS increase, is going to be something you add into your rotation alot, I know some people are switching between Avatar and Blood bath doing certain fights, but most people are sticking with Blood Bath.
    5) Okay someone pulled a big mob, you don't have aggro, go into the middle Thunder Clap - Level 60 Talent - Revenge - Cleave(With extra rage) keep Shield Slamming on cool down and make sure you tab your targets, also add in devastate for procs. If you have a OH SHIT moment, and need to taunt quickly, just drop your banner.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    I´d prefer Vigilance over Safeguard. But i guess it´s personal preferation.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Cailan Ebonheart View Post
    I've done nothing wrong. I'm not the one with the problem its everyone else that has a problem with me.
    Quote Originally Posted by MilesMcStyles View Post
    I don't care that other people don't play the content that I enjoy.

Deleted
    Thanks for the feedback - much appreciated!